Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Grab the attention of the distracted cager behind you with a brake light modulator. This tiny device emits a series of light pulses whenever the brakes are applied.

I got mine from eBay seller zowwie438 for $21 shipped. Arrived quickly and quality is pretty good.

Here's a step by step guide to installing a brake light modulator on your Ninja 300:

1. Get your modulator, a led bulb, side cutter and needle nose pliers.

2. Open the bike's trunk and locate the brake light harness. Carefully slice the heatshrink tubing open to expose the three wires -- blue, black, and red.

3. Splice the modulator between the blue wires (signal). The single red wire with the yellow label goes towards the led bulb.

4. Black goes with black. Carefully expose the copper wiring and tap the modulator's black wire to the brake light harness.

5. Solder the wires together (optional), get electrical tape, wrap it all up and pat yourself in the back for a job well done!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rekognize... You rock! Excellent write up my friend!

Well folks... This is Zowwie438... The guy who sells these on ebay.

I am also the man who does way too many hospital visits at the ICU for downed bikers and way too many funerals! This is why I started selling these things... To save me from seeing another man on a ventilator... or worse.

I have had enough of sitting in ICU's with a grief stricken heart because there is nothing I can do to sooth the pain of those waiting for what the doc has to say.

Here in Ohio they passed that anti-texting legislation that is nothing but a joke! People still text... Just before we had a fighting chance cuz they would hold their phone up on the steering wheel. But now with fines, folks are holding their phone by their lap and looking straight down!!! :( They STILL text, just now they ain't looking forward anymore!!!!

WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR BACKSIDE!!! Stay in gear while @ the light, have your escape route mapped out... And watch those mirrors like a hawk!

Since Rekognize did such an amazing job... I will extend to all members of this forum the modulators for 15.00 (shipped)! Just go online, pay the 21.00 and send me a message saying "Rekognize sent me" and I will refund you 6.00 when I ship it.

I will extend this offer until 05/19/2013. So come get'm! If you can do simple wiring, you can manage this install.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Plug & Play

would you consider making a plug & plug unit like i linked to above. im happy to wiring mods myself, however i have no doubt there are plenty who wont touch their wiring
Yes... I considered that. However those custom connectors are not cheap and since each bike is different, one would have to order small amounts of them... thereby driving up the cost.

Then there are the schematics and political corporate stuff to deal with regarding each manufacture... Take Victory for example.

They use a communication bus like system in their wiring to drive the tail light... I got one complaint from a Victory biker and quickly contacted their corporate office. Victory flat out said they were not interested in helping educate others on how to make their products work with their bikes! Even after I told them I would have to share that publically on my page when I sell them... They didn't care. WOW! No future Victory purchases for me!

The best I could do is locate someplace that may sell the connectors and see if they would cross ship when I sent the order out... But I could easily see the price for each connector being in the 5.-10.00 range. Thereby driving the cost up 10-20 bucks per item. :(

The goal is... Make them cheap enough so anyone can afford them.

Wiring is pretty simple!!! Just locate the brake line, snip... Wire inline... Run black to ground and your done.

If one doesn't know how to solder... LEARN! It will save you a TON of money down the road on repairs.

Be safe guys!!! And please, please please... Watch those mirrors when your stopped! This year is going to be nasty in Ohio with the new anti-texting fines. :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quick connects... Quick taps...

Thanks! Seems easy enough :)

For anyone who's not comfortable stripping/soldering the wires, just use some snap/bullet connectors for the positive and a quick-tap for the ground.
FYI guys... I used to do alarms when I was younger for business and res as well as working for a public utility for many years.

Those little blue and red wire crimp things you can buy @ Autozone are good for some things... But when it comes to weather, they don't do you justice after a few years. :(

What happens is, the insulation of the wire gets punctured, then moisture sets in there... Then the copper is destroyed by the elements. :(

If you MUST use quick connects... Please use the ones that have a little pack of silicone inside... So that when you crimp them, the silicone squirts out and surrounds the puncture area.

If you MUST use them... Cover the quick connects with some liquid elec tape, some silicone... Or at the least some Vaseline. Anything to stop the moisture from getting in there.

I always recommend soldering so one gets a ROCK SOLID connection without the chance of water intrusion.

If one has a garage bike that will never be in the elements... The quick connects may work for many years. But for crazy folks like me that ride in the rain, snow, etc... They don't cut the mustard.

Lastly... Whenever I work on anything critical with wiring on a vehicle... Such as lights, horn, etc. Things that MUST WORK NO MATTER WHAT... I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS solder them. Cuz I don't want to find out the hard way that some wire or connector wiggled lose.

Be safe guys.

++Todd

·
Registered
368 Posts
thanks for this, i placed an order

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
Todd was nice enough to sent me 2 relays. Awesome purchase.

·
Registered
146 Posts
This looks really awesome, and for a great price. however, I'd really love an led integrated tail light assembly, with blinkers. Any plans on doing something like that?

·
Registered
393 Posts
also you said you would have to order few and it would cost more... what if we get a feeler thread going and 20 plus people committed to buying one would they be cheap enough to make a plug and play for maybe 5 dollars more if you buy in bulk instead of 5 here or 5 there...

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
sorry i would buy 3 if i didnt have to cut into my bike... but i dont feel comfortable cutting into it....
buy plug and play one here

modmy250.com

i ordered mine a few weeks ago. im more then capable to modify the wiring, but im not interested in doing so.

when mine arrives , expect a video of it

1 - 20 of 85 Posts