Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Requested by Cruizin

Greetings,

This thread is for the members who are not exactly sure how to embed pictures.

There is currently a known issue that uploaded pictures are unavailable to members who use the mobile phone app to access the forums. However, It is also known that some phones running certain firmware and/or operating systems can see uploaded pictures.

So, as you can see there are a lot of members who can't see uploaded pictures. Of course uploading is much easier but until fixed, I ask you guys to embed them instead. This way everyone can be included in whether or not it's a off-topic picture or a DIY picture. If someone is working on their bike outside for instance, and need to view a DIY picture someone uploaded to the forum, and their phone is one of the affected units, they will not be able to. Yes, we can use the phones browser instead but that totally defeats the purpose of using the app since the app is 150% easier to navigate on a phone than anything on a browser with all the pinch to zoom stuff, etc. So please help our fellow members who use phones by embedding your pictures instead.

Please use the following guide to learn how to embed.

Step 1: You need a photo hosting website. For this guide, we will use Post Image.

Step 2: Hit the browse button, locate, and select your picture from your computer. If you want to upload a picture you took with your phone, just go to the same link from your phones browser and just select browse just as if you were doing it from your computer.

Step 3: Do not resize the image, so leave that next box alone.

Step 4: Select the bubble that says " Family Safe "

Step 5: Click " Upload It "

Step 6: Scroll down a bit and copy the " Direct Link " This ends in .jpg

Step 7: Either paste that link directly into your post on the forum, or use the " Insert Image " button, and when you submit the post, the picture will now be embedded.

What that does is allows the persons phone app or browser to load the picture off the hosting site instead of trying to load it from the forums. This will bypass the problem for now, and allow everyone to see the picture.

I hope this guide can help the ones who aren't sure. You can use any picture hosting website, but I found post image to be the easiest, and quickest. Thanks guys

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
Requested by Cruizin

If someone is working on their bike outside for instance, and need to view a DIY picture someone uploaded to the forum, and their phone is one of the affected units, they will not be able to. Yes, we can use the phones browser instead but that totally defeats the purpose of using the app since the app is 150% easier to navigate on a phone than anything on a browser with all the pinch to zoom stuff, etc. So please help our fellow members who use phones by embedding your pictures instead.

Just a clarification from a tech point of view, the issue is with the app (software) NOT the actual phones (hardware)...so don't go running out and buying new phones people! Unless you're on some super old version of Android or something...but based on Android distribution charts, most people are on Gingerbread or higher so it shouldn't be a big deal. It's the app though, most likely the developer doesn't know what the exact issue is. I can't speak for iOS but it's likely the same scenario.

Good work otherwise!

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just a clarification from a tech point of view, the issue is with the app (software) NOT the actual phones (hardware)...so don't go running out and buying new phones people! Unless you're on some super old version of Android or something...but based on Android distribution charts, most people are on Gingerbread or higher so it shouldn't be a big deal. It's the app though, most likely the developer doesn't know what the exact issue is. I can't speak for iOS but it's likely the same scenario.

Good work otherwise!

Indeed, I didn`t mean for that to mean to replace the phone. :p

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Nope, I'm lazy :p

I'll use photobucket or tumblr if I really need to post pics for viewing elsewhere though.
It`s the same thing, they`re all the same pretty much. I used post image for the guide because it`s the quickest, non account hosting site that I`ve used. It`s literally 3 clicks for a link. Not sure how the thread got turned into a recommend a photo hosting site thread, lol.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
As for resizing, it takes time for the site to resize your ginormous, HD-quality, high-rez pictures. So, be sure your pictures are already resized before you upload them—say, 1600 across but no more than that (as a rough guide). Any more than that and the picture will be bigger than the horizontal resolution of most monitors. That's the guideline I use, anyway.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As for resizing, it takes time for the site to resize your ginormous, HD-quality, high-rez pictures. So, be sure your pictures are already resized before you upload them—say, 1600 across but no more than that (as a rough guide). Any more than that and the picture will be bigger than the horizontal resolution of most monitors. That's the guideline I use, anyway.

I`ve never resized a uploaded picture with Post Image. I take the pictures right from my phone with the USB cable or I email them to myself from my phone and upload them as is to Post Image. My phone is set for the highest quality pictures, and I never had to resize them before or after uploading.

Now, I guess if you have one if those 14MP cameras or something then yes, it may be way too big, but most pictures from Iphones and Androids don`t need to be resized.

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I`ve never resized a uploaded picture with Post Image. I take the pictures right from my phone with the USB cable or I email them to myself from my phone and upload them as is to Post Image. My phone is set for the highest quality pictures, and I never had to resize them before or after uploading.

Now, I guess if you have one if those 14MP cameras or something then yes, it may be way too big, but most pictures from Iphones and Androids don`t need to be resized.
Yeah, most HD pics from the iPhone are way too much resolution. If you're using the non-HD setting, you should be fine. Otherwise you're just wasting server space and bandwidth. This is probably why some people upload ginormous pictures which still have to be downloaded before they're resized by the server (wasteful and slow) or worse, they're not resized by the server and end up making a thread super wide and messing up its aspect-ratio.

The other reason to resize on your own is so you can control the final-result, or at least get more control over it and create a lot smaller file-size. Pictures will appear faster with small file-sizes than with ginormous pictures which require a resize to be web-viable. It's objectively better to upload a pic that's 150k (saved for web) than one that's 2MB, for all kinds of reasons.

I usually resize and crop my pics in Photoshop my pics before I upload them anywhere (Save For Web option). I recommend resizing and cropping for anyone, and it's a good habit to get in to anyway for savvy web-users and picture-takers who upload. Plus, you can massage brightness/contrast and all that stuff and it doesn't have to be Photoshop...any decent photo-editor will do.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I do want to warn people about uploading original pictures taken with a phone. Since most of us have smartphones, and our smartphones have GPS, many phones will record the location where a photo was taken in the Exif data. Some point-and-shoot cameras that have a GPS may do this too. So if you upload the original picture online, people may be able to see where the picture was taken whether it was at home, work, school, etc.

Now I think most phones and cameras will let you turn that "feature" off. The only downside I can think of is that you can't sort your photos according to location if your image organizer or image viewer allows for that since there won't be any location data to work with. Also, if you decide to turn it off, do know that your older photos (taken before you changed the setting to off) may still have location data in it. You may want to check that.

If you want to leave the feature on, but don't want strangers showing up at your house whenever you upload photos, there's hope. You can use a metadata removal tool to get rid of all the Exif data. Which one? Sorry, I can't help you there. Since I leave location data out of my photos to begin with, I have no use for the software so I wouldn't be able to recommend one.

It's okay though, because there's an easier way: Certain sites will automatically strip the Exif data out of the photo when you upload it. I know imgur does this for privacy. I believe Facebook does it also. I don't know about any other sites because I haven't tested them or haven't looked it up. This is also useful if you're trying to directly upload from your phone and don't have access to a desktop to use metadata removal software.

Also if you want to see the Exif data yourself:

Windows 7/8 -
1) Right click on the file.
2) Click properties.
3) Click on the "Details" tab, then scroll down to see all of the metadata recorded.

OS X (10.7) -
1) Open the image in the Preview application.
2) Click on the "Tools" menu and select "Show Inspector."
3) Click on the "More Info" tab (second tab from left, a picture of the letter "i" in a circle).
4) Choose the Exif or GPS subtab to see Exif or GPS data.

Where I got the OS X instructions from:
http://www.question-defense.com/2012/04/17/view-iphone-image-location-data-with-preview-on-mac-osx

I don't have a Mac so hopefully the instructions still apply to 10.8 (Mountain Lion).

·
Registered
310 Posts
How about disabling the upload feature until it's fixed? Or add a warning or something. People assume (and rightly so) that features that are available are working.

Seems a bit bleh that Muilisx has to link this thread every time people upload a picture, not knowing they did something wrong when using a kawasakininja300.com forum feature.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lol @ thread, well done Muilisx! Can ride a motorcycle, but can't embed photos on a forum! :D

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
http://s22.postimg.org/i4p7p9t35/20130911_181808.jpg
My 1st embed! :announcement_smilie

Is that normal to have to click it to see it? I thought pic would be there. I'm not computer savvy ............but I know how to ride a motorcycle!
No I think you may have used the incorrect correct link. There are usually a few options that pop up that you can copy a link for, I just try each link until I find the one that makes the pic appear. As soon as you paste your link, a pic should show in the forum page........if its the correct link of course.

EDIT: Link is correct, but you need to click on "insert image" in the toolbar when you are typing, and paste the link in to the box that appears.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts