Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I bought a huge earth magnet especially designed for this application.....

Had one for years.....

It does work. And I not trying to sell you anything... As for what type.... larger/stronger the better.

I think I paid $20 for mine... about the size of a hockey puck that is covered in a rubberized coating.

I just stuck it head( top ) of the oil filter....

Mine has about 75lb pull... I tested that on a metal table with a chain scale.

I have never had a problem since.

You probably can get them at your local motorcycle parts store or dealership.
Be VERY careful where you stick a magnet. Keep it away from fluid lines of any kind and filters. You don't want it to attract and hold the bits and pieces and shavings that build up in an engine over time and cause a clog. It's not like a chip detector in an aircraft engine that has a sensor to give you a heads up that you have crap stuck on the magnet. If you use a magnet, I would only put it on some part of the frame itself and keep it away from the transmission or engine housing. Oh yeah, keep it the hell away from your alternator as well. You don't want to introduce a foreign magnetic field to the one that is already spinning around and generated by the alternator.

Also, a magnetic oil drain plug is fine since it's usually at the lowest possible point on the sump and shouldn't cause a clog and is a helpful tool to diagnose engine health.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
In Illinois we are legally allowed to go through red lights with no other traffic present on motorcycles after a "reasonable" amount of time (I think 120 seconds is what was referenced)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Whaaaaat!! Are you serious? That's pretty lucky haha, definitely don't have that luck here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wickedly awesome. I wish they had more crosswalks at South Carolina intersections. In the area I'm at, most folks just j-walk, and the city doesn't really bother with crosswalks

·
Registered
228 Posts
There is one light on my way home from class that won't trip for me and I have to get off to hit the pedestrian button, or run the red light if there isn't much traffic. One time I pulled up and, since there was a car coming up behind me I figured I would be fine. The car stop so far away behind me, which normally I appreciate that they weren't right on my tail, that the light still wouldn't trip. I tried to wave them forward and point at the road where the trigger was but to no avail. So I still had to get off of my bike and rub over to the pedestrian crossing button. The driver must have thought I was absolutely insane. And to top it off, the light went green as I was swinging my leg back over my bike and the driver got impatient at the few seconds it too me to kick up my side stand and put the bike in gear that they started honking at me.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Whaaaaat!! Are you serious? That's pretty lucky haha, definitely don't have that luck here!

Wow I've never heard of that before either. That's awesome
yeah, it was a new law that was passed in IL that became effective just before I started riding (I think Jan of '13)..

I've never had to do it but I know there are a handful of lights I would have to if I ever went through them the wrong direction at night..

doesn't mean you get to just blast through it, you have to wait a reasonable amount of time.. honestly I don't see why that couldn't be for all vehicles, we've all been stuck at an empty stoplight before..

21 - 32 of 32 Posts