865 Posts
LOLOLOLOLOLOL nice dude! nice!

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the 250 guys would put a magnet under their bikes to trip the sensor. Lol I don't know if this is true or if it would even work but these lights do get annoying. I keep a mental tab of which ones I need to avoid.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
51 Posts
I plan my trip so that I only make right turn at lights. Lol Jk, I have seen a story where someone only did right turn at intersection, because of an accident they had in an intersection (cager not biker)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Your awesome dude

·
Registered
458 Posts
I've done that myself a couple of times. Unfortunately, most of the intersections that I have a problem with don't have a pedestrian button to push. Fortunately, the sensor loops are gradually being replaced by intersection cameras, which sense motorcycles much more reliably.

·
Premium Member
1,075 Posts
+1 at eventually going through red lights. I'm out at night a lot and always going through areas that don't pick up my bike. Done it in front of a cop before even. Didn't bother with me

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I think I read somewhere that the 250 guys would put a magnet under their bikes to trip the sensor. Lol I don't know if this is true or if it would even work but these lights do get annoying. I keep a mental tab of which ones I need to avoid.

Those loops are induction loops. It works by generating a small magnetic field that large masses of conductive ferrous material will disturb and set off the sensor. Unfortunately, sport bikes usually have a hard time with this because of the lower overall iron/steel mass that it has. Can't produce a strong enough eddy current to trip the sensor. It also doesn't help that many sport bikes have a lot of their steel parts replaced with aluminum to reduce weight. This also decreases it's ferrous mass as well. Aluminum's paramagnetic properties is much too weak to make up for what's lost when swapped out in lieu of steel. My cruiser trips all lights very reliably since all that extra steel mixed in with the chrome gives it a very high conductive mass. Also those induction loops are very sensitive to speed changes. Theoretically, if your sport bike doesn't work passing through the loop slowly, you could go through it faster and will create a larger eddy current which may trip the sensor. Contrary to popular belief, just sitting inside a loop not moving isn't enough to trip the sensor since the tiny eddy current of the rotating mass of the engine isn't generally enough to trip the sensor. A large enough magnet helps because of it's ferrous materials and it's closer proximity to the ground.

Those camera based lights can really suck for a motorcyclist as well. Some of them just use a program that focuses on and works with the headlight configuration and wheel configuration to work. So motorcycles and bicycles will often fail to trip the light because the camera doesn't see it as a car/truck. Used to have a camera sensor light around that I had to use a flashlight on to get to work when I road my bike to the intersection.

·
Registered
458 Posts
I have heard that the reason some of those induction loop sensors don't reliably sense motorcycles is because the signal maintenance crews often turn the sensitivity down too much, so they won't false signal in the rain or from next lane crosstalk.

Actually, induction loops can detect non-ferrous metals. Any good conductor of electricity in the alternating magnetic field will absorb energy and be sensed by the loop. That's why rain or wet soil can set them off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thank god my city doesn't have those we are small enough, everything I just set to timers.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I have heard that the reason some of those induction loop sensors don't reliably sense motorcycles is because the signal maintenance crews often turn the sensitivity down too much, so they won't false signal in the rain or from next lane crosstalk.

Actually, induction loops can detect non-ferrous metals. Any good conductor of electricity in the alternating magnetic field will absorb energy and be sensed by the loop. That's why rain or wet soil can set them off.
Correct. Generally the sensitivity is turned down so large vehicles don't set off multiple sensors. You see issues with motorcycles at lights in areas where large semi-trucks and the like generally pass through. Also, the amount of detection for paramagnetic materials is almost non-existent for the sensors in the ground since they sense large eddy currents which reduce induction and paramagnetic materials generally need a magnetic field to work. Also when that magnetic field is present, the magnetic affect on the paramagnetic materials like aluminum are vastly weaker than a ferrous material like iron. You would have to max out the sensor's sensitivity to get paramagnetic materials to set off the sensors. They are designed for large ferrous materials to set them off. Our changing bikes to using lighter materials like aluminum kinda screwed the pooch for us and these sensors, especially since engineers who designed these bikes didn't think about induction loop sensors during design. You actually see issues with induction sensor lights and super cars as well. Many of the super cars have shed most if not all of the steel and iron in them and went to aluminum, titanium, and carbon fiber. I've seen Lamborghinis stuck at lights because the sensor wasn't sufficiently sensitive enough.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a huge earth magnet especially designed for this application.....

Had one for years.....

It does work. And I not trying to sell you anything... As for what type.... larger/stronger the better.

I think I paid $20 for mine... about the size of a hockey puck that is covered in a rubberized coating.

I just stuck it head( top ) of the oil filter....

Mine has about 75lb pull... I tested that on a metal table with a chain scale.

I have never had a problem since.

You probably can get them at your local motorcycle parts store or dealership.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Wow! You are genius ! :cool:

I love your solutions ! And I'm learning traffic system in your country.

Many Thanks for your video to made me smile! :D

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
I just run the light after a couple cycles.

I do this too. Or did before I wrecked lol.

I actually read somewhere that most cops, if they see you doing this, will actually give you a pass because it's a known 'issue'.

·
Registered
83 Posts
There is only one intersection around my neck of the woods where I have that same problem when there are no cagers behind me. Most of the time I am forced to turn right and turn back around.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts