Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you lucky enough to get to do track days/and or racing changing your coolant is one of those MUST things before you hit the track. With that being said, the coolant change for our Ninja 300 is relatively simple, the hardest part is probably taking the fairings off; either way lets get started.

1. Remove the fairings: If you don't know how to do this, simply look it up in your service manual or do a youtube/forum search.

http://youtu.be/9n71eBGBCko

2. Remove the radiator cap: turn counterclockwise and then push in the same direction and it will come off.

3. Find a container of some sort and drain the following:

Note: the last two photos show where drain bolts are located (in silicone red).

4. Drain re-tighten to specified torque and refill. I used distilled water and water wetter for track purposes (since you cannot use glycol based coolants), if you are doing this for regular service use specified coolant.

Make sure you fill it up until the filler neck and tap the hoses to release air bubbles. Make sure you check for coolant leaks.

That is pretty much it for a coolant change, reasemble your fairing and you are done!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
630 Posts
I've been thinking about adding more coolant, as when I look down the fairings it's hard to tell how much coolant is actually in the reserve canister. Definitely below the full line. I guess I just worry about things.

Reactions: Deano45

·
Registered
865 Posts
if you shine a torch on the reserve tank and give the bike a bit of a wiggle you will see the coolant level easier

lol a torch.... that could be mis-interpreted...

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hmm.

Once you top the system back up you should idle the bike until the thermostat opens and releases a heap of air bubbles, generally the level will drop considerably as well.
You would do this prior to replacing the fairings.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've been thinking about adding more coolant, as when I look down the fairings it's hard to tell how much coolant is actually in the reserve canister. Definitely below the full line. I guess I just worry about things.
U will have 2 totally different levels between engine running and off mine off is slightly over full when stood straight and just under 3/4 while riding

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
996 Posts
for everyday, how frequently shoudl we change coolant?
The manual states to inspect the cooling system (fluid level, hoses, etc) at 600mi, 7.6k, and 15.2k, or once every year if you don't hit one of those mileage marks. Replace the coolant, hoses, and o rings at 22.5k miles or after 3 years.

Personally, I would just check everything over every couple thousand miles, or whenever I have the fairings off anyway. I would also replace the coolant once a year regardless of mileage... The anti-corrosion properties of coolant diminish over time and I'd prefer to just replace it for peace of mind since its cheap and easy.

This is assuming you aren't doing track days or totally wailing on your engine every day. In that case I'd change the coolant more often. I'll probably do my first coolant change at 3800mi (i want to switch to a better coolant to see if it runs cooler or if it's a gimmick).

·
Registered
48 Posts
Old topic but very informative. I've got a question, alot of people say when you change the coolant that you should flush the coolant twice using just straight distilled water, then after the second flush put the 50/50 mix. Is this necessary or should I just flush what's in it now and refill with new coolant

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Old topic but very informative. I've got a question, alot of people say when you change the coolant that you should flush the coolant twice using just straight distilled water, then after the second flush put the 50/50 mix. Is this necessary or should I just flush what's in it now and refill with new coolant
The flushing is mainly if you're trying to get all of the glycol out of the system before taking the bike on a track (i.e. you need to run pure water).

If you're filling the system up with a glycol coolant again, there's no real need to flush with water. Not for a bike that is at most two years old.

·
Registered
7 Posts
hey do you know if the 300 ninja is pressure fed to the overflow tank or gravity. I'm looking at moving it around or making my own custom one since I'm during my bike into a cafe racer. any help would be wicked cheers.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thank you for a very informative write up. I am about to replace my coolant with DI water and water wetter in preparation for my first track day. I know this is an old thread, but in the interest of keeping all of the relevant information to one thread, can someone confirm that running on non glycol based coolant for everyday is commuting is ok? I am definitely interested in visiting the track as much as I can, but the Ninja is still going to be my main commuter during the week, and I'd rather not do the whole flushing procedure every time I go to the track.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Well, I just replaced my coolant with water wetter and distilled water: mixed about a third of the water wetter with roughly a gallon of distilled water, was only able to fit a bit more then half a gallon into the bike. The process is relatively simple, one word of caution though: start by undoing the water pump bolt and keep the radiator cap closed at first. I did the opposite and the coolant sprayed like two feet away from my bike :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts