Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get the daily joke about wearing my motorcycle gear on my way into or out of work and how I "look like a knight" or "are you getting ready for battle?"

The past couple days I heard some new ones, like my gloves are "gay" because they're "bulky" (cortech Latigo). I asked how being armored made them gay and he just replied that it was stupid to wear them.

I was also told today that my gear makes me look like some rookie because "The point is to be a skilled enough rider to not need the gear" to which I replied that I'm wearing it for the people not skilled enough to drive their vehicles around me. Which in turn just got me a scoff, and a yeah right.

Anyone else get poked at on a daily basis for being safety conscious?

Beyond the motorcycle world I also get negative comments on wearing reflective garments and helmets on my bicycle.

Maybe Georgia is just a Darwin state, most bikers heading into Florida take their helmets off and strap them to the backs of their bikes as soon as they cross the state line.

End rant. ATGATT!

·
Registered
193 Posts
lol @ the ignorant cagers making gay jokes and scoffing at the sight of gear.

I usually get positive feedback, if any. I look ripped when I walk around in gear. I should just do it for fun once in a while.

·
Registered
137 Posts
"The point is to be a skilled enough rider to not need the gear"
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. That level of skill does not exist. I don't see Casey Stoner riding around the streets in shorts, T-shirt and no helmet because of how skillful he is.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Going to state the obvious. Your coworkers are INCREDIBLY stupid! The gear is there for a reason. They expect you to ride with nothing? Go tell them to go skydiving without a parachute. If they ask why; then tell them they should be skilled enough to land on their feet without dying.

·
Registered
958 Posts
People who think you don't need gear are stupid. You can tell a stupid person that they are stupid, unfortunately they are stupid so they won't understand. :cool:

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Also, lol at the comment about not needing gear because you're OH SO SKILLED. So by that logic, elite racers should be riding stark naked right? :D

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I've been told by my past coworkers that I looked like a riot cop. The funny thing is, I've heard of stories of riders getting their bike stolen because the thief sneaks up on them and jumps them. With the amount of armor I'm wearing, it would not be an easy task to do. lol.

People who give you shit for wearing gear are people who shouldn't matter to you anyways. Make note that those aren't the people who give a rats ass about you at all. Grow some thicker skin and ignore the idiots. I've seen plenty of pictures of bikers in AZ getting surprise brain surgeries because they don't like helmets. I had a friend who refused to wear any gear even though he was a surgical tech and had worked on a lot of motorcycle victims.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've never experienced any negative comments or conversations about my gear. Of course, my friends and family appreciate that I gear up for every ride. I have talked to a couple of riders who don't put down my decision to wear it but instead say something like, "I know I should but... (insert excuse)".

Do the people who give you crap about your gear even ride?

·
Registered
171 Posts
I get the daily joke about wearing my motorcycle gear on my way into or out of work and how I "look like a knight" or "are you getting ready for battle?"

The past couple days I heard some new ones, like my gloves are "gay" because they're "bulky" (cortech Latigo). I asked how being armored made them gay and he just replied that it was stupid to wear them.

I was also told today that my gear makes me look like some rookie because "The point is to be a skilled enough rider to not need the gear" to which I replied that I'm wearing it for the people not skilled enough to drive their vehicles around me. Which in turn just got me a scoff, and a yeah right.

Anyone else get poked at on a daily basis for being safety conscious?

Beyond the motorcycle world I also get negative comments on wearing reflective garments and helmets on my bicycle.

Maybe Georgia is just a Darwin state, most bikers heading into Florida take their helmets off and strap them to the backs of their bikes as soon as they cross the state line.

End rant. ATGATT!
Lol I get just the opposite, everyone around me comments on my gear looking badass. I live in Florida so lots of people do not wear any gear(including helmets) and I still get told all the time by people that it looks good and they are really glad that I am wearing my gear because they all want me to be safe.
Matter of fact, just this morning, I was saying hey to a friend of mine and as I gave her a hug she said, "I am so happy when I see you wearing all your gear". So when people are genuinely concerned about your well being they should be happy. If they are more concerned about being a badass that thinks he will live forever and want to show off and other reasons then they will make fun of you for wearing gear.
It is a personal choice to wear or not wear gear and that is all fine, but judging someone for protecting themselves? lol At least judge someone for not wearing gear because you care about them and want them to be safe. I talk to many riders and so many say they had that one friend that didn't wear gear, and the operative word in that sentence is HAD because they watched them die from downing the bike.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've never experienced any negative comments or conversations about my gear. Of course, my friends and family appreciate that I gear up for every ride. I have talked to a couple of riders who don't put down my decision to wear it but instead say something like, "I know I should but... (insert excuse)".

Do the people who give you crap about your gear even ride?
Some do, less than a 1/4 of the people I work with. I work with more than 150 people though.

To FreelancerMG
Doesn't bother me as an insult, it bothers me as to how stupid these people can be when I'm supposed to trust them all with my life on a daily basis.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I live in a town filled with harley riders I get shit on the daily usually i just on account of my short fuse reply with "oh yeah? let me hit you with my car and laugh as i watch all your skin peel off." Or ill lift up my shirt and be like "if i scrape skin iff i lose tattoo and fuckkkk that" however I get the occasional "you look like you're straight out of a movie" or "you look like a transformer!"

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Try to curb the violent threats. :D Murphy is a douche and you may end up saying it to a 1% and not see his colors and get shot for it.

Yeah Adam. I do agree that the people who don't give a flying rats ass about your safety and show that they are ignorant are also the guys covering your ass. At least you found out BEFORE your ass is in a sling and need these meat heads to save it. While I doubt they'll outright leave you twisting in the wind, it does show that they may not have your best interests in mind and may not bust their ass to get your ass out of the fire as quickly as they can. Just keep these individuals in mind and plan your work accordingly to try and lower your "reliance" on these people. If you can put yourself on a separate shift or work with someone who you can trust, I'd suggest doing it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
As a college students the Ladies love it ;) Honestly most riders here on campus wear the gear when we see each other walking on campus we give the usual head nod.

Professors in my class always tell me to Ride Safe even when they don't know my name (usually happens in my bigger 100+ student classes). During warmer days i get the usual "Aren't you hot wearing that? its like 90 degrees!"

As a Top Gear fan, if the Simpson Diamondback Helmet was made for motorcycles, you better believe that i'd be rocking all white all the time in reference of The Stig, i'd definitely get good comments from the Top Gear Fans.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Try to curb the violent threats. :D Murphy is a douche and you may end up saying it to a 1% and not see his colors and get shot for it.

Yeah Adam. I do agree that the people who don't give a flying rats ass about your safety and show that they are ignorant are also the guys covering your ass. At least you found out BEFORE your ass is in a sling and need these meat heads to save it. While I doubt they'll outright leave you twisting in the wind, it does show that they may not have your best interests in mind and may not bust their ass to get your ass out of the fire as quickly as they can. Just keep these individuals in mind and plan your work accordingly to try and lower your "reliance" on these people. If you can put yourself on a separate shift or work with someone who you can trust, I'd suggest doing it.
Only MCs in my town and near my town that I have to worry about are HA's and Mongols and thankfully I have contacts that help with that but actually they usually don't fuck with you at all the only people that ever give me shit are the regular dudes trying to be tough all the MC guys around here don't think gears stupid they just don't want to sacrifice for looks and even for little things they'll tear into their own guys for example I was in a shop ran by Mongols and one of their guys showed up in sneakers instead of boots and well they let him have it for being stupid and said they shouldn't show their face without their boots ever again

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
155 Posts
"The point is to be a skilled enough rider to not need the gear"
I had a HD guy tell me that last year. He passed the MSF class and they gave him a certificate to get his motorcycle endorsement at the DMV, so he thought his shit didn't stink.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts