Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 2015 Ninja 300 as my first bike, the one that I'm currently looking at has 9k miles on it and they are asking $3000. In comparison to similar bikes it seems to have more miles than average, and the price seems a tad high but I honestly am just learning about bikes and could use some help. Thank you all in advance!

·
Registered
386 Posts
Where are you located? In South Florida that price would be a bit high, but not for much. Probably 2500 would be more fair. That's assuming the bike is all stock or almost all stock.
9000 miles is not too much for a 5 years old bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If the bike was well maintained, then it's not too bad. But if after buying you'll need to do tires, brakes, chain, oil, ecc, then you'll end up with about 500 more. In this price bike, maintenance being up to date is a big difference.

Also make sure the fairings are in good condition. Those are very expensive to replace. And if they are broken or scratched, they pull the value of bike down if you decide to sell it down the road.

Why did that bike bring your attention if there are other cheaper and with less miles? Does it look good? New tires? You like the colors?

·
Registered
357 Posts
Check the KBB value as a guide, but that sounds high to me. NADA always seems way off.

It would have to be perfect to be worth that. Look at the condition and adjustment of the chain. If it's well maintained the chain will be properly adjusted and in very good condition. Check the color and level of the oil. Check the condition and date on the tires. If they are in need of replacement it's a good chunk of change, especially if you can't remove the wheels yourself.

Look for signs of a tip-over. Many sellers will down-play any damage, but it changes the value significantly.

Have you taken a riding course? If not, I would. There's no time to learn on the streets. There are basic techniques you need to be proficient at (like braking) before venturing into traffic.

Have all the gear, and wear it all the time. I'm going on 40 years on street bikes, but every time out is still a challenge.

Riding is fun, but it's serious business.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ended up passing on that particular bike, I messaged for more info on the up keep and he said that the chain was rusted, which gave me the feeling other parts may have been neglected and at the top of my price range I don't want to have to fix anything major on it. Also he wasn't willing to budge on the price, I really want to stay closer to 2000 but for the right bike I would go higher. About me, I am on the waiting list for the MSF course but they said I most likely won't get in until the end of September 😒. So in the meantime I'm looking for good bikes as well as acquiring the necessary gear. This will be my first ever street bike but I have rode dirt bikes quite a bit when I was a kid. I've also been on the back of street bikes my entire life so I do have an idea how it feels. Thank you all for your help!

·
Registered
357 Posts
If you are not in a hurry, and have a good place to store a cycle, prices and your ability to negotiate will get better as you get closer to winter in Michigan.

I've gotten a lot of quality gear off of CL. Go for high quality (lightly) used gear over poor quality new gear.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been looking on RevZilla for gear but I plan to check Craigslist and FB marketplace before I buy anything! I'm not technically in a hurry to buy the bike since I can't get in to the course until September but I would love to have it before my course so once I take it I can get my endorsement and start riding right away but I guess it would make more sense to wait for better prices at the end of the season. I have a garage attached to my house which is where I plan to store it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got a 2016 KRT edition with a good amount of mods, body in perfect condition and 7k miles for $4k in Atlanta. Came with stands as well and Michelin Power RS tires with 1k miles on them.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I just sold my 2013 with ~5600 miles for $3350 in the Chicago land area. I was the original owner. As soon as I saw that I could for that kind of money, it was gone. A new one cost me $4700+TTL back in 2013.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts