Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the time finally came to buy some gear, even though I won't be doing much riding in the crappy weather Washington has :mad: I just wanted to see how much you guys have spent on your gear! (ex: $60 gloves, $250 helmet, etc.). I definitely want to be as safe as possible, but find out how much money should be spent as well.

Dress for the crash, not the ride! :D

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I have 3 pairs of gloves
first pair $45 (cheapo joe rocket pair to start with)
second pair $86 (good summer alpinestars)
third pair $95 (good winter alpinestars)

3* helmets
$159 Scorpion exo 400
$299 Scorpion exo 1100 Street Demon
*$199 Seven Zero Seven Backlash (Girlfriend's helmet)

1 Jacket
$169 Joe Rocket

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doesn't sound too expensive then, I was expecting to spend like almost a grand on gear :eek: I think I'll go expensive on the jacket and helmet though, all of my friends and family are SUPER protective about motorcycles, so that'll ease thier nerves a bit hopefully. :D

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Yeah I mean I didn't get anything glorious when it came to the jacket and first pair of gloves, the exo 400 is alright.

Get a really nice jacket with a liner and all the armor that is removeable and a helmet that you can wear for hours without giving yourself a headache!

Great saying - "If you have a $100 head, get a $100 helmet."

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Does it rain often in WA? If so you might wanna pick up some waterproof pants/boots/gloves. The jacket you pick should already be waterproof (careful with leather!)

I wear Timberland boots (1 for normal everyday use and 1 for work) and both are leather/waterproof. The gloves I have are textile, so not fully waterproof. Jacket is definitely waterproof, and I have some left over military wet weather pants that I throw on if I need to ride in the rain.

·
Banned
562 Posts
exo 400 helm 180
sedici leather jacket 150 50% off
new sedici gloves 40
freezeout set 100 (balaclava , glove liners shirt pants)
boots 50
cold weather jacket 150
cold weather gaunts 30
under armor gloves and shirt 80

·
Registered
958 Posts
As far as price, you can spend thousands on gear (I have) but you can get quality gear at several different price points. My advice is to protect ALL of your body for what your spending. It's been mentioned here before, but most people get a helmet, jacket, boots and gloves, and never get any protection for their legs. 40% of motorcycle injuries occur to the legs (think of your ankles, knees and hips) so you may want to factor in some pants in your budget. I know everyone says that they wear "thick" jeans, but they offer no protection whatsoever in a motorcycle crash. Have fun and ride safe. :D

Reactions: youwantmycouch

·
Banned
562 Posts
yes I ordered a pair of these canvas jeans I read about supposedly awesome for cycles

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I am thinking about picking up knee/shin guards as I use my bike for commuting and can't change at work (we're actually told we could be fired over it........................................................................... riiiiiight.)

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am thinking about picking up knee/shin guards as I use my bike for commuting and can't change at work (we're actually told we could be fired over it........................................................................... riiiiiight.)
I don't wear them everyday (I should) but the knee/shin gaurds are great, fit under most pairs of jeans, and come off once I get to work.

I've had knee surgery in the past from a basketball injury, so it's my biggest concern if I ever come off the bike.

-THE DON

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
I don't wear them everyday (I should) but the knee/shin gaurds are great, fit under most pairs of jeans, and come off once I get to work.

I've had knee surgery in the past from a basketball injury, so it's my biggest concern if I ever come off the bike.

-THE DON
Yeah I think it was you who posted about them before about how they fit under your pants and I thought it sounded like a great idea. I have really bad knees (Airborne running / jumping + ground pounder will do that to ya) so I wanna protect them as well.

Do you have a link to where you purchased them? Does it cause any rashing / irritation? When I wore my pads for street hockey it would cause severe irritation behind the knees.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Helmet (Shark Speed-R Sauer) - $375
Boots (Icon Super Duty 4) - $120
Jacket (Alpinestars Lucerne Drystar) - $175
Gloves (Cortech Scarab) - $85
Gloves (Alpinestars don't remember) - $125

I actually came out better than I thought I would!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yeah I think it was you who posted about them before about how they fit under your pants and I thought it sounded like a great idea. I have really bad knees (Airborne running / jumping + ground pounder will do that to ya) so I wanna protect them as well.

Do you have a link to where you purchased them? Does it cause any rashing / irritation? When I wore my pads for street hockey it would cause severe irritation behind the knees.
http://www.amazon.com/Shift-Racing-Enforcer-Motocross-Motorcycle/dp/B005M16QY6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1358535515&sr=8-3&keywords=knee+armor

The straps can get ichy if you sweat a lot, no rash for me as of yet. I only have a 15 minute commute though.

-THE DON

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Does it rain often in WA? If so you might wanna pick up some waterproof pants/boots/gloves. The jacket you pick should already be waterproof (careful with leather!)

I wear Timberland boots (1 for normal everyday use and 1 for work) and both are leather/waterproof. The gloves I have are textile, so not fully waterproof. Jacket is definitely waterproof, and I have some left over military wet weather pants that I throw on if I need to ride in the rain.

Yeah it does, WAY too much haha, right now its pretty icy and I wouldn't dare risk my bike but it gives me a time to get that fender eliminator I want, my gear and fix my insurance! But yeah, at first I was thinking about getting a 4 season jacket, but now I'm kinda want to go that extra step and get a jacket especially for cold weather and another for warm weather.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I'm a bargain shopper when it comes to gear now that I have kids. Back in the day, I would drop $180 on gloves just because I liked the color (looking at you white icon timax gauntlets).

Alpinestars gloves (closeouts, can't remember the model) - $20
Joe Rocket Rocket Nation leather jacket - Free from a friend!
HJC CL16 Shock helmet - $135 on sale from Amazon
USMC combat boots - Free, I have like 6 pairs.

I ride like 10-15 miles a day, if I was commuting 30 miles one way like some of you, I would buy a lot nicer stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
506 Posts
Helmet $150 Cycle Gear brand 707
Gloves $60 A* Smx-2
Jacket $370 A* gp air plus
Pants $120 agv telluride h20
Boots $150 A* smx-2

Total: $850

*$5 reflective tape

Sent from my R800x using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Winter sale can get you good quality gear for nearly half the price and also gear from previous years (2009-2011).

Bell Vortex RSD = $99
Cortech Latigo Gloves = $80
Cortech Latigo Boots = $150
Shift Air Avenger Jacket = $120
Total = $450 ;)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts