Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yep, dripping lube is obviously too much but just for next time, how much should one use? a can, half a can, quarter can, third of a can, a fifth of a can, what?

whatever i'm just proud that i've taken a hand in preserving and servicing my ride... :D

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I don't normally use any. The chain is lubed internally and sealed with O rings. IMO, lube it to prevent rust, or just ignore it. The life seems to be about the same either way. Life will be determined by the stress and adjustment IMO.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Just enough to get it saturated. Use a cleaner first to get the dirt and grime out of the chain, then use a lube or wax on the chain. I use a spray lube, but wax works just as good or better in some circumstances.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh i already cleaned and lubed it i was just curious as to the 'proper' amounts so it's not dripping off the chain lol.

·
Registered
865 Posts
yeah, just enugh to coat it.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
No less than 5 cans or it won't do anything! :p
i was gunna say, put enough on so the chain drips oil everywhere like a harley and your close to having enough put on it:D

seriously though, you dont need much, put the bike on a paddock / race stand, kick it in to neutral and spin the rear wheel a few times and give it a good quirt for a few seconds, dont go stupid with it

and squirt from the inside out, not outside in

·
Registered
993 Posts
"i was gunna say, put enough on so the chain drips oil everywhere like a harley and your close to having enough put on it:D"

Good advice, I own a harley and it doesn't drip any in my garage, so I guess your saying lube it, but not enough to drip. :p

·
Registered
958 Posts
If you put too much on, it will fling off on your tires, wheels, sprocket, chain guard, up under the tail and even on your back. On the tires can be dangerous. It will also accumulate on the front sprocket and drip down and look like an oil leak. Most manuals say to clean and lube every 600 miles. I really don't clean mine except if it is grungy, I wash the bike, chain, sprocket, with detergent to get the grunge off. Then I dry the bike and oil it by moving it a couple feet at a time, spraying oil and wiping off the extra with a microfiber cloth. It takes about 6 moves to go one rotation of the chain. If there's no colored link, you can use a sharpie to show you where you start. This is the best way, I feel and certainly the SAFEST. Most people put it on the rear stand and rotate the tire by hand as they use the chain oil. I use the cheapo Liquid Wrench from Wallys (safe for o-ring chains) at $4 a can which would last me about 10 oilings or 6000 miles.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
X and O rings are the same basic chains, with lubricant sealed inside the rollers. The outer part of the chain needs no lube except for rust prevention. The oil that would end up between the roller and drive tooth will be forced out almost instantly, leaving a greasy much that dirt sticks to, causing more wear.

Old open chains needed lube, and it rarely got to where it did any good, inside the rollers. That was why they would need to be taken off and soaked in lubricant overnight regularly.

I guess you guys like having something that feels productive to do, lube the chain and clean the mess it sprays? :cool:

A oily rag and a wipe of the chain if it is getting gnarly looking is all it needs. It will not get grungy unless you cover it in grease!

·
Registered
11 Posts
hate to bring up an old topic, but I was researching around the forum for periodic maintenance procedures I should be doing on my bike. As for cleaning and lubing the chain, I have read so many different answers around the web as to what intervals and how improtant it is. Some people say "O-ring" chains never really have to be lubed, others say you shouldnt go 200 miles without doing it...So, im kinda confused!!!!

My bike has 2600 miles on it, and other than at the first service, I have not lubed the chain!!!! When I am washing my bike, i look at the chain and it just doesnt really look that dirty...SO am i committing a crime for not properly cleaning and lubing it? Cuz if so, I will do it first thing tomorrow if necessary

opinions please!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Too much lube can do several things depending on the bike. It can be flung onto the rear wheel, chain side and if not careful you could even spray the tire when applying it which should then be wiped off. Another common thing excess oil does is accumulate and drip from the front sprocket. Point is, it will fling off somewhere. Also it attracts grime. What I do is apply a generous amount, then wipe as much off as I can. I usually use a paper towel to protect the rear tire and wheel, and use that same towel to then wipe off as much excess as possible. Then let it dry, then ride. I generally lube the chains every 300 miles or so. All my chains are pristine. The way I described oiling the chain is not the way it is generally done. Dealers do not take the time to do it this way. They lift the rear wheel and spray just a little oil on the chain as it goes around. That's it. Probably better than nothing if the chain is dry, but hardly a thorough cleaning and oiling like it usually needs. I mentioned before I only use the kickstand, not a rear stand and just move the bike forward a foot or so at a time and get each section thoroughly. Once you have saturated the chain, you really cannot take too much oil off by wiping it thoroughly as you go. I never have oil on my tires, wheels sprockets, or dripping down, yet the chains stay well-oiled and clean.Since the bike and wheel does not move, I also clean off the rear sprocket and get all the grime off of it too. Takes about 5 min. on the Ninja 300 because it is easy to get to a large section of chain with each move of the bike. On my Gixxer it takes a bit longer cause I can only get to a small section and so requires several more bike moves.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If you put too much on, it will fling off on your tires, wheels, sprocket, chain guard, up under the tail and even on your back. On the tires can be dangerous. It will also accumulate on the front sprocket and drip down and look like an oil leak. Most manuals say to clean and lube every 600 miles. I really don't clean mine except if it is grungy, I wash the bike, chain, sprocket, with detergent to get the grunge off. Then I dry the bike and oil it by moving it a couple feet at a time, spraying oil and wiping off the extra with a microfiber cloth..
^this is very good advice.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
X and O rings are the same basic chains, with lubricant sealed inside the rollers. The outer part of the chain needs no lube except for rust prevention. The oil that would end up between the roller and drive tooth will be forced out almost instantly, leaving a greasy much that dirt sticks to, causing more wear.

Old open chains needed lube, and it rarely got to where it did any good, inside the rollers. That was why they would need to be taken off and soaked in lubricant overnight regularly.

I guess you guys like having something that feels productive to do, lube the chain and clean the mess it sprays? :cool:

A oily rag and a wipe of the chain if it is getting gnarly looking is all it needs. It will not get grungy unless you cover it in grease!
Oh boy.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Every bike manual calls for cleaning and oiling the chain though. The Ninja 300 owner manuals says, "Lubrication is necessary after riding thtrought rain or on wet roads, or any time that the chain appears dry......wipe off any excess lubricant." No time interval is mentioned. My other bikes give intervals of 500 miles to clean and lube the chain or if it gets wet or dirty, to do it sooner.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Do what you want. I get about 18-22k miles from sprocket & chain sets on my last bikes, 950cc Supermoto and Adventure KTMs. I expect about the same from the much lower quality OEM Kawi parts, then more from higher grade replacements. Less power and lacking the pulses from the bigger V twin.

I don't lube my off road ones either, and usually get a full season on a steel sprocket & X ring chain unless I do a lot of deep, wet sand. You can destroy a drive set in a single ride off road, brakes too. Having them hold every bit of abrasive dirt on every ride will just accelerate wear.

The off road drives get, at most, a spritz of WD-40 after a washing, and yes, I've read the theories about that dissolving the inner grease. I don't buy that either.

It's your $. If you want to use it, use it. To me it makes an unnecessary mess.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Lube it for 2 chain rotations from the inside out. Use the master link as an indicator. Wipe off excess from the outside only.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts