Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as I'm browsing my usual internet sites this morning I started thinking about how long I've owned my NInja 300...I bought mine in September of 2016...it's a 2014 and it had 2800 miles. It now has just under 14K. 6 very enjoyable years with the bike and no plans to get rid of it.

How about you? How long have you owned your bike?

· Registered
371 Posts
I got my '14 ABS at the end of 2018. Had about 11k miles on it, roommate was selling it, and it was my first bike. So I figured it was time to explore something new. Got the bike, and then the next week or so I went on a spree to buy a full set of gear, and then get my license. Best decision I ever made.

It's literally only been 4 years, dang. Felt like so many more years. Well last summer, I crashed the 300 on a rain track day, and it still runs and has little mechanical damages, I will have to repair it. I do love it, and I need to get er fixed up this winter when the cash is available. I already had to replace my thermostat, hopefully that will help my engine warm up faster as well. I really liked the introduction to motorcycle maintenance with the 300. Mechanically simple, but still has all the modern features like water cooling, ABS, fuel gauge, FI, etc. Really helped me get comfortable with working on bikes with or without those features, and helped me start to learn where things go and how they go.

Such a good bike. Teaches so many good lessons, and is such an all round good bike. Still have it, still gonna fix it, never gonna sell it. So long as it's still in one piece, I'm keeping it. Maybe once I have kids, they could learn to ride it.

-Mike

· Super Moderator
808 Posts
I bought my 2013 in September 2016, six years ago. It had 1800 miles then, 19k now.
I keep thinking in selling it but I keep keeping it.
It just works so well and it's so inexpensive that it's very hard to sell.

· Registered
2013 Ninja 300 ABS
21 Posts
2013 Ninja 300 ABS bought about 3 years ago at ~19,000 km's, now clocked up 67,000 km's.
In the process of selling it to a mate, was very reluctant to let it go, that bike on twisties was incredible and outpaced basically all the 600cc's I was with on turns. Until they floored it on the straights again.. lol

Just purchased a 2002 Suzuki SV650s gen1, needed a new project to keep me happy. Slowly converting the plastics of a road faired version of some race fairings. Got the back end done after a lot of sawing shit off, just need to finish off the front end.

The power difference between the ninja 300 and the sv650 is huge, after riding the sv for a few months... I just can't jump back on the 300.
When I owned just the ninja 300 i thought it was plenty fine for me, power wise. But until you jump on something with some more "gonads" you just don't realize how much it was lacking, comparatively.
I was told this by mates who all owned bigger bikes, and for the most part of it I was content with the ninja 300 due to its super maneuverability. But after getting my first taste of a bigger bike, I just can't go back.

However, I'm grateful I started off on this bike, it has taught me a lot. Especially since you can drive it to it's absolutely limit and understand cornering quicker than you would with guys who baby their 600 or 1000s around corners.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive parking light Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Plus, too many bikes in the garage between me and the brother.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motor vehicle Vehicle

· Administrator
3,467 Posts
Let's see... I bought my 2013 in June 2013 and I've put just about 21k miles on it. I bought it with 0 miles on the odometer. I didn't really get to ride in 2020 (maybe 100 miles) or 2021 (maybe 400 miles) because of pulling double duty at work during COVID.

· Registered
371 Posts
No kidding, that's awesome! I wrecked my last new bike, so maybe I just can't have nice things yet lol. I feel like the N300 almost provides a service to the riding community, much like other small displacement sport bikes. It does the most good in the biggest number of peoples' hands I feel like. I have never seen a single-owner N300 in person actually ever, oddly enough.

Plus, most people looking to get into riding don't buy a new bike anyhow, they want a used one.

It's funny you bring this up OP, there is a thread someone just popped open on the gixxer forums about what is considered "high mileage" at least for inline-4 motorcycles. And the findings were what you'd expect from forum-goers. I think the people on here are not quite the average rider, at least the people who frequent the forum, and not just join because their bike runs funny.

Regardless, it was interesting to see peoples' thoughts on mileage. Almost everyone on the forum (myself included) said that mileage is just a number. Probably as is age or time owning a bike. Forum goers are just a bit different of a breed. It's just the cesspool of degeneracy that is facebook marketplace or similar places that believe a motorcycle is essentially trash after 20k miles. Kinda a sad outlook, but I guess that is what separates the good from the best riding communities. I have actually gotten a few odd comments for having bikes with over 40 or 50 thousand miles on them. People are almost shocked that I am alive or something. Guess that service manual wasn't useless after all, lol.

I really appreciate the resourcefulness, perseverance, and wit that this forum has to offer. I've browsed other bike forums online a bunch, and sometimes I am a bit disappointed with those groups, but not ours.

Cheers, folks.
-Mike

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think the silver lining to people feeling bikes are worn out at 20K plus miles is that you can find some nice bikes in great shape for pennies because of the perceived 'high miles'!

I still keep my eyes open for a nice '84-'86 Nighthawk S ....see plenty of those with 20-30K on them for cheap..(loved those when I was in high school, would have killed for one back then)

· Registered
371 Posts
Funny you say that, I too am on the hunt for something classic 80's.... Now that my current restoration project is just about wrapped, I need another, and I want something old school cool. Lol.

-Mike

· Administrator
3,467 Posts
^^ Maybe the only original owner in the forum?
I think I'm about the only one of the early members that's still active.

No kidding, that's awesome! I wrecked my last new bike, so maybe I just can't have nice things yet lol. I feel like the N300 almost provides a service to the riding community, much like other small displacement sport bikes. It does the most good in the biggest number of peoples' hands I feel like. I have never seen a single-owner N300 in person actually ever, oddly enough.

Plus, most people looking to get into riding don't buy a new bike anyhow, they want a used one.
Yeah, where I live the smaller bikes seem to get the crap beat out of them and I didn't want to fix someone else's problems. Plus, the N250s aren't fuel injected - as a child of the 70s who's rebuilt more than a few carburetors, no thank you!

Here are a few photos from some of my summer adventures.

Tire Wheel Sky Plant Vehicle

Taking a break at a scenic overlook in Forsyth, MO in the Ozarks

Plant Tire Ecoregion Motor vehicle Wheel

Heading into Arkansas for lunch in Eureka Springs before conquering the Pig Trail.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Getting some kicks with a fellow middle-aged female Ninja rider.

Tire Sky Cloud Wheel Automotive tire

Boldly going where no other N300 has gone before! Also, known as Riverside, Iowa, the future birthplace of James T. Kirk and not far from @iahawk and his neck of the woods. Like seriously dude, how could you not tell me this was out there?

One of my summer trips was 1200 miles of riding - I took the 300, the tank bag featured above, and my A*s Tech Aero backpack for a 5 day adventure. Just because there's snow on the mountain doesn't mean there isn't fire in the belly.

· Registered
371 Posts
Man, so much cool stuff on here folks. Only wish we were a bit closer in proximity to better allow a N300 club meetup one day lol. I am a PNW rider, a bit further away from some of you guys.

On a side note, years/time mean different things to people of different ages. In case it's interesting, I am only 24, working my first full time job out of college currently. My four years of riding might as well be eternity to me, and I am sure some of you folks have been riding for a larger percentage of your life as well. Only thing I've done collectively longer than riding bikes is being with my soon-to-be fiance :cool:

Really cool to see the variety in not just the N300 owners, but the things we all like to do when riding it.
-Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts