Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Great video. My right side is perfect. Left, has a couple gaps. Looks like I'll stick to my adhesive tape.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I believe it has more to do with hitting nasty jolts in the road. The retainers don't retain, the amount of hardware isn't the problem, it fails to direct the force inward at the retainer clips.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe it has more to do with hitting nasty jolts in the road. The retainers don't retain, the amount of hardware isn't the problem, it fails to direct the force inward at the retainer clips.
I recreated the scenario without tightening the front bolt first and tightened bolts completely before moving to the next bolt and I had gaps. I decided not to include it in the video because it was already a very long video. I noticed this weeks ago while finishing up my headlights. I think if it were a matter of jolts, everyone would have this problem even after redoing their fairings. I didn't have gaps before my projects. I don't have gaps now and I put my bike in some pretty bumpy situations. I only saw gaps when I didn't tighten the front bolt first and the others out of order.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
How did you apply the tape? Did you have to remove the fairings?

Sent from my R800x using Motorcycle.com Free App
Took a strip of 3M tape and slid it into the gap areas. Press the fairings together and close the gap. Cut off the excess tape with a razor blade.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
I hope your system works for you, mechanically speaking I can't see why it would. If I avoid rough roads I get no gaps. If I ride the typical trashy mountain roads I love, the gap usually returns, at least on one side. Kawi tried to get cute and keep the body free of hardware. One well placed bolt would have secured the gap area pretty much 100%.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I prefer her fix better.

Picture with adhesive fix.

Picture with her tightening sequence.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Bran. Glad you found your nut. You walked into that one as well.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Just got back from the local Kawi Dealer booked it in for them to take a look so they could mess it up before me ;p
They went with the double sided tape option which all they did was seperate the fairing and shove it in, apparently that takes 30mins.
Lucky the double sided tape was free of charge haha

I have attached a copy of what they said

1 - 20 of 50 Posts