Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I am right or wrong, but I feel like at low speed when you turn, you turn the handlebar in the direction you want to go, but at higher speeds you push the handlebar to counter steer and make the bike lean and therefore turn where you want to go. When making a 90 degree turn at a light - say you are cruising on a road at 40mph, change lanes into the left turn lane and the light is green, so you don't need to stop, but what speed do you slow down to? Considering the fact that the crosswalk strips at the beginning of the turn and the end are slippery, not to mention the cement part of the road for water to flow across the street when raining are slippery even when dry, how fast do you go during the turn approximately?
I used to have no question about it and would make the turns smoothly, but then I dropped the bike in a slippery area water drain area (when it was dry) making a sharp turn at low speed while leaning (the front wheel slid from under me, although I did not break, I just continued with the throttle, the wheel continued to slide out more until both I and the bike were on the ground :( Heartbreaking to drop a brand new bike, needless to say that made me less confident on turns and I don't lean as much, but I figure I should see how more experienced people turn. When do you start the lean, when do you come out of the lean, and how fast do you go when entering the turn (before speeding up at apex)?

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
It all depends on the road and the situation.

side note - 88mph should induce time travel.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Sounds right. Easy to check countersteering at different speeds. Just push the left handlebar forward without even touching the right handlebar and see what happens. If there is a momentary shift of the bike and weight to the right, followed quickly by a left turn, then countersteering is in play. All bets are off if you hit something slippery on the road though. On dry pavement, you can feel the tires slip a little if you are too aggressive in corners. Don't back off the throttle at that point, but take the next curve less aggressively. If I do see something slippery up ahead, I brake before I get to it and try to take it straight on if I don't have time to avoid it. Even if it's oil, you can usually get through it with minimal sliding.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Counter steering is a natural body reflex dealing with equilibrium and balance. If you have to even think about it, you're over thinking it. Get on a bicycle and coast down a hill then turn. If you can do that without thinking about it, then you have countersteering mastered. It's not academic or muscle memory. It's like fight or flight, we're built with it from the factory, comes standard

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The 300 has a factory installed "Kawasaki Turn Speed Sensor" or KTSS standard. Just go as fast as it takes to activate the audible chirping indicator of the KTSS and stay at or under that speed.

Kinda sounds like tires squealing on pavement! :eek:

·
Registered
387 Posts
The 300 has a factory installed "Kawasaki Turn Speed Sensor" or KTSS standard. Just go as fast as it takes to activate the audible chirping indicator of the KTSS and stay at or under that speed.

yeah never heard of this either. Anybody find anything on this to sticky on the forums??

·
Registered
1,150 Posts

:D

never heard that cool though.
yeah never heard of this either. Anybody find anything on this to sticky on the forums??
*woosh*

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I have never experienced that on a mototrcycle, but I swear I have the same sensor installed in every vehicle I have ever owned :eek:

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
Look through the turn not at your speedometer. You'll get the feel for it. It's usually a pucker followed by a relaxation.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
No clue of my speed on a 90 degree turn. I doubt it's over 20mph. I don't drive very aggressive though.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Well are we talking tight 90 degrees or a very relaxed tranquil 90 degrees? the reason I ask is there's a ninety degree turn off in my neighborhood away from the main stretch that I've been known to lean in on at twenty five or so... And then the times at an intersection with a solid left turn green light that I've turned at forty-five or so (talking normal traffic speeds).

Also as far as crosswalk strips I tend to ride in the pavement between striping and avoid as much plastic/painting as possible... Even in a car those areas are slick more so when wet...

One thing I learned from trying to drive a Mustang on ice, there's only a certain amount of traction available at any given time and if you ask too much of it at any one time that's when trouble emerges...best to stay on the throttle constantly until you exit the actual curve/on the other side of the apex and can begin to roll on smoothly...sudden panicky roll ons or offs or brake squeezes lead to bad things.not saying I'm perfect or don't make mistakes but my experiences on ice are in the back of my mind anytime I think an area may beslippery... Because whether two wheels or four, both are still rwd vehicles so there is a tiny bit of similarity.

**** I've high-performance tires on my Mustang and I still avoid driving in rain if I can and if I can't I try to wait a bit for the roads to be less slick, unless it's been raining all day or something

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
My first ride in a road bike I was putting my foot out on sharp turns,,, bad habit from motocross bikes :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
It all depends on the road and the situation.

side note - 88mph should induce time travel.
Flux capacitor, fluxing. Lol

Depends on road conditions really. Typically if a recommended speed sign is posted, it can be doubled. A skilled rider can do double plus 10 MPH.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Man I really don't understand the bike language yet lol. But yeah I'm still not confident in leaning to much. I think I need track time to get a better idea. I'm just to afraid to drop my bike.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts