Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

Roughly how far have you gotten during your fuel warning blinking? i.e. When you're running low.

In case you didn't know the owner's manual indicates it starts blinking when there's 3.5L remaining.

I'm on a brand new Ninja 300 ABS in Australia. Temperature has ranged between 15ish-35 degrees Celcius. I'm down to the last bar (not yet blinking) and have done around 280km's.

Thanks.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How far have you gotten during the low fuel warning?

Hey guys.

Roughly how far have you gotten during your fuel warning blinking? i.e. When you're running low.

In case you didn't know the owner's manual indicates it starts blinking when there's 3.5L remaining.

I'm on a brand new Ninja 300 ABS in Australia doing break in (stayed under 400 rpm as best as I can). Temperature has ranged between 15ish-35 degrees Celcius. I'm down to the last bar (not yet blinking) and have done around 280km's.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I've gotten it down to 1 bar not flashing though, wasn't sure how low I could go :p

But, I heard it's bad to let it get that low. In my car, I only use to put 10 dollars at a time because I could never afford a full tank at one shot, and I eventually had to get that whole throttle body cleaned as well as the fuel injectors because since I was always running it so low, it was sucking up dirt eventually.

I am down to 2 bars right now, and most likely am going to go fill up today.

I have to unfortunately use BP this fill up because I have grandmas gas card, and it's worth a free tank :)

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
tell me this is a typo
He never turned the bike on. Easy to do. :) To answer the OPs question, I got around 48 miles from flashing block to engine stalling due to running out of fuel. I wasn't worried this time around of running it till empty due to the fact the bike is still brand new and that was only the second tank of gas it's EVER had in it. Haven't had time to accumulate crap at the bottom of the tank yet.

I'd say this is accurate for about a gallon of fuel left. Especially since there is a small portion of fuel you're not going to be able to use at all that gets trapped.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I've gotten it down to 1 bar not flashing though, wasn't sure how low I could go :p

But, I heard it's bad to let it get that low. In my car, I only use to put 10 dollars at a time because I could never afford a full tank at one shot, and I eventually had to get that whole throttle body cleaned as well as the fuel injectors because since I was always running it so low, it was sucking up dirt eventually.

I am down to 2 bars right now, and most likely am going to go fill up today.

I have to unfortunately use BP this fill up because I have grandmas gas card, and it's worth a free tank :)
Not calling you out on this but i believe this to be wrong. Depending on the fuel injection system it should not cause issue with a throttle body. Most cars in the recent years (past 10-15 years) have been multi point injection meaning that each cylinder has its own injector. Some chevy's had the throttle body injection.

Also about the sucking up dirt and stuff, it can happen but most fuel pumps have pre-filters on them (in tank pumps) and then an inline fuel filter.

Normally people would want to keep the tank full as to keep the pump cool. When the pump gets to hot that is when it fails. Being submerged in the fuel keeps it cool.

·
Registered
155 Posts
3.5L = 0.9 gallons. The lowest MPG I've gotten so far is 55mpg. Say conservative I manage to get the bike to run at 50mpg with 0.9 gallons left, then I'm still good for another 45 miles.

I reset my trip meter whenever I fill the tank up to full, and usually refill when I hit 200 miles. I figured at this point I can probably go another 25 miles. I find this more reliable than the meter since it's hard to keep track of how long the last bar has been flashing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts