Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried an experiment today on a long ride. I pushed my self all the way to the back of the bike until my lower back was touching against the rear seat cushion. I noticed I could ride a lot longer in this position. My knees felt better around the tank and my wrists also were not as sore.

Have I been riding it wrong all along by not pushing out towards the back of the seat?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Ride however makes you comfortable. I find myself scooting up on the tank a lot, but then I push back as you have described. The seat is wider at the back, making things a bit easier on your butt, and it will change your riding posture a bit, making your position a little sportier.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I switch around a lot, it depends if I have a backpack on or not. I find when I move all the way back I wish the rearsets were positioned higher/further back.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Im not sure if its my height or what but if I sit more straight up i get less wind noise over my helmet. Like a dramatic reduction in noise. Its almost like i need a new windshield or something... or just some ear plugs lol.

I just sit how ever is comfortable. just like Brother, i tend to sit up on the tank but i havent really put many miles on it. longest ride was 70 miles in a day but that was with breaks in between.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
It depends on the situation. I ride to work on the freeway for the most part. And when I'm at speed I usually scoot back and lay down on the tank. I am a bigger guy so tucking helps with the wind. And when I get into the rush hour traffic I sit up and scoot forward.

I also saw a guy on the free way the other day who was riding with his feet on the rear pegs. It was interesting but I don't think I am ballsy enough to do it. If you gotta make a quick stop and only using the front brake.... Makes for a bad outcome.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
368 Posts
Up toward the tank, grips it with my legs, no weight on my wrists at all. :>

·
Registered
16 Posts
Im not sure if its my height or what but if I sit more straight up i get less wind noise over my helmet. Like a dramatic reduction in noise. Its almost like i need a new windshield or something... or just some ear plugs lol.

I just sit how ever is comfortable. just like Brother, i tend to sit up on the tank but i haven't really put many miles on it. longest ride was 70 miles in a day but that was with breaks in between.
I noticed the change in wind noise when I sit up straight too. I think the way I sit normally the wind coming off the windshield hits right at the base of my helmet, right around my neck causing a lot of noise inside the helmet. I wear ear plugs but have just learned to deal with it. I don't really want to put a touring windshield on it either.

·
Registered
655 Posts
How tall are you guys? Im 6'6" and its damn noisey when I sit upright. Im against changing my windshield as it suits the bike I think though im looking into rear sets and clipons to try and get abit more room as my knees dont really fit beside the tank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I find I can lay on the tank in full tuck for 45ish mins without issue (90kph +). But my neck gets a bit sore any longer than that. I bet I could do it longer, but my neck muscles have had a chance to get lazy over the winter. Normally I ride my road bicycle in a similar tuck so it's not all that different.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I noticed the change in wind noise when I sit up straight too. I think the way I sit normally the wind coming off the windshield hits right at the base of my helmet, right around my neck causing a lot of noise inside the helmet. I wear ear plugs but have just learned to deal with it. I don't really want to put a touring windshield on it either.
I listen to music so I don't have much of a wind noise issue. I still hear it but my music overrides it. It's more the wind throwing me around why I tuck.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
16 Posts
How tall are you guys? Im 6'6" and its damn noisey when I sit upright. Im against changing my windshield as it suits the bike I think though im looking into rear sets and clipons to try and get abit more room as my knees dont really fit beside the tank.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
I'm about 5'8". If you use your hand you can feel the wake or slip stream caused by the windshield. I just traced it for a lack of a better term and in my normal seating position; which was the loudest, it hit me right at the base of my helmet, though I just think it hitting my helmet in general makes it loud. When I sit more up right with my butt further forward it hits me more in the chest and all of the turbulent wind noise goes away.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts