Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
My first time lane splitting was when I was living in Japan. The first few times you do it you feel like an outlaw like the comment from the video said. As you begin to do it more and more you realize it does help you get where you want to go, and you are reducing the traffic load during times of congestion.

What they did show and failed to talk about was going to the front of traffic at a red light. This appears to be cheating but you are actually making traffic move faster. Once the light goes green, the motorcycle will accelerate quickly and away for the traffic at the light. This again reduces the amount road real estate being use and allows 4 wheel vehicles to resume normal flow without having to give increase space for a motorcyclist in front of them.

One habit I did pick up while lane splitting that has carried over to my riding here stateside is the "cover". I commute everyday on a motorcycle and when in traffic it has become natural for me to keep both hands extended out over both the clutch and brake levers. This reduces your reaction time when dealing with traffic situations; cars stopping suddenly, lane changes in front of you, or debris in the roadway. Riding in a physically prepared way will allow you react more quickly even you are not mentally working constantly. Motorcycling is for most of us relaxing and we do relax are brains when enjoying the ride. Being prepare during these times is more critical when a situation pops up and you need to react quicker then the mind was ready for.

If the states that allow no helmets would trade off and allow lane splitting and require helmets I don't think too many motorcyclist in those states would be upset by the change. Given the choice, which would you prefer, not wearing a helmet or legal lane splitting? Face it, you are not going to be allowed to do both legally.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Maybe it's me but looks dangerous in halve the videos! Especially when old mate is in a bicycle lane.
It does appear that way when you use your car driving brain. Most cars are not able to jump lanes when stopped in traffic and tend to stay put. What you watch for is when traffic begins to move a bit and some drivers are trying to get ahead out of being stopped frustration and move to another lane.

The car driver goes through a learning experience too when dealing with lane splitting motorcyclist. They now have to look out for them coming along side in slowed or stopped traffic and adjust their habits as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
well to me lane splitting(riding inbetween moving traffic) is dangerous no matter which way you look at it,however lane filtering(riding between stopped traffic ie at a red light) is safe and should be acceptable

·
Registered
344 Posts
well to me lane splitting(riding inbetween moving traffic) is dangerous no matter which way you look at it,however lane filtering(riding between stopped traffic ie at a red light) is safe and should be acceptable

Tell that to the 100's of riders who get hit from the rear when stopped behind a vehicle in traffic. If you really think it won't happen to you then you just don't know the reality of what is happening our roadways. In my years of riding I had a few times hear cars lock up the tires behind me while I was just sitting at a traffic light. And when they did reach out the window to say something it was always, "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you!".

Multiple LED brake lights, Hi-Viz clothing can help this from happening, but will not stop it. I rather be sitting between two vehicles at a stop light then expose to some tons of steel coming up my ass!

·
Registered
17 Posts
maybe but i have a friend who was knocked off while lane spliiting and ended up under the moving car next to them and can no longer ride at all due to injuries recieved by the 2 tonne vehicle that drove over them

·
Registered
17 Posts
also read what i wrote between vehicle while they r stopped is one thing but while they r moving is different altogether hence the difference betwwen lane splitting and lane filtering

·
Registered
344 Posts
maybe but i have a friend who was knocked off while lane spliiting and ended up under the moving car next to them and can no longer ride at all due to injuries recieved by the 2 tonne vehicle that drove over them
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Motorcycling is a dangerous activity, no question. How we interact on the road along side other vehicles can have serious consequences. Nothing replaces good judgement and experience. Lane splitting is still the safer way when moving with volumes of traffic (research the worldwide studies). Accidents will happen regardless; reducing your chances is always your best bet.

·
Registered
145 Posts
both are illegal here in Canada. I would not mind lane filtering, but not splitting, the drivers here are crazy! It is basically the norm here for me to have to pass on the right not the left. STUPID!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here in California, the CHP has 'suggestions' about safe lane splitting speeds. I tend to agree that under 30 mph or so, it's relatively 'safe', since everything happens a little more slowly and the rider has more time to anticipate and react. In bumper to bumper traffic, cars can't really pull into your lane that quickly, and as long as you're not flying by 50 mph faster than traffic, it feels fairly safe. I don't always filter up, but it is nice to have the option.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
62 Posts
filtering up to the front at a red light can also be dangerous, i have had numerous cars try to accelerate faster than me to not let me pass. i still do it, just saying it can also be risky, while on the freeway though i tend not to really lane split, just kinda wait for openings then squeeze through!

·
Registered
215 Posts
I think it is a stupid thing to do in moving OR stopped traffic. If you are in such a hurry to get there -- leave the house sooner

·
Registered
344 Posts
Until you do it you really can't understand it. Like I said, I felt like an "outlaw" the first few times doing it. Once your get over you fear of doing it, it is very easy to do.

Now in other parts of the world they take lane splitting to a whole different level. I must admit, while riding with my "Toyko Riders" group this is how we use to do it. When you snake between two large trucks you get the pucker factor going especially at speed.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Lane filtering is good and legal in most areas of the world (yes there are some that dont allow this) where as most places lane splitting is not legal and is very dangerous.

I always filter to the front when and if I can, putting yourself out of harms way from being rear ended is paramount for me. As well as not sitting behind a car, especially a diesel, spitting out exhaust fumes right in my face. Secondly it puts you in front of the traffic when those lights go green, reducing congestion.

But lane splitting I would never do nor do I condone it. Very dangerous, and highly likely that a car can and will change lanes before seeing you were there. Plus moving vehicles dont always tend to go in a dead straight line, so what might look like a nice gap to get through, could become that much smaller by the time you try and go through due to the wandering nature of anything with wheels.

Lane filtering I have control over as all other cars are stopped. Lane splitting I am only semi in control, and that isnt a position I prefer to put myself in. But each to their own, your life is in your own hands when you ride, as well as others that you are sharing the road with.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Lane filtering isn't 100% safe either. Have had stopped cars attempt to pull out at the last second on me on purpose before, making a tight squeeze super tight.

·
Registered
993 Posts
I don't know if I would ever do any lane splitting, as today its just dangerous riding next to someone in the opposite lane. With texting and driving and other vision deterants i've seen plenty of car/trucks go off the road or into the next lane over, could you imagine a texter drifting just as you executed a split? (crunch) instant 300 sammich...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts