Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. So I bought my ninja in April, and ever since the day I bought it, the horn button has hit the tank when the handlebars are fully locked to the left. Not a huge deal, but obviously scares the bejeebers out of me when I'm trying to park it sometimes. The previous owner assures me that it didn't do it while he rode it, and that the handlebars are NOT bent. I've been reading on here that the stock handlebars tend to be easily bent when dropped. Previous owner says he dropped it once, and the side of the fairing was a little scuffed up on that side. Unfortunately, I dropped it my first day riding it, and I believe it fell over on the opposite side of the previous accident, because now both sides have small scuffs on them. The bars appear pretty symmetrical at this time, but looking at pictures of the stock bars leads me to believe they are straight. Is it improbable that both bars are bent equally? Sorry about the poor picture quality... my poor little flip phone tries its best lol

Attachments

·
Registered
205 Posts
you must have bent your bars...the horn button doesn't hit the tank. I can get a finger (granted, my fingers are smaller) between the button and the tank at full lock.

And welcome to the forum!

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hi all. So I bought my ninja in April, and ever since the day I bought it, the horn button has hit the tank when the handlebars are fully locked to the left. Not a huge deal, but obviously scares the bejeebers out of me when I'm trying to park it sometimes. The previous owner assures me that it didn't do it while he rode it, and that the handlebars are NOT bent. I've been reading on here that the stock handlebars tend to be easily bent when dropped. Previous owner says he dropped it once, and the side of the fairing was a little scuffed up on that side. Unfortunately, I dropped it my first day riding it, and I believe it fell over on the opposite side of the previous accident, because now both sides have small scuffs on them. The bars appear pretty symmetrical at this time, but looking at pictures of the stock bars leads me to believe they are straight. Is it improbable that both bars are bent equally? Sorry about the poor picture quality... my poor little flip phone tries its best lol
Personally, both handle bars appear to be bent. :shrug.001:

·
Registered
205 Posts
yep, took a closer look and another pic. Look at the relationship of your right bar to your tank and then look at mine in the pic. Your bars are bent in quite a bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, thanks everybody. I've never seen another ninja 300 in person to know what they should look like. They really are bent quite a bit. Now to decide whether it's worth replacing them or just deal with it...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I've never seen another ninja 300 in person to know what they should look like.
if you look closely at my bike you can see the straight line relationship between the bars / grips and where they mount. That's what they're supposed to look like.

Don't feel too bad about dropping the bike...everyone does it at one time or another.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I look at it as a learning experience - I put myself in a bad situation (trying to stop then start again on a hill on a bike that I hadn't learned the clutch point on yet, so I dropped it from a stop), and I made it a point to do a bunch of practice on that. However, I do feel silly because I can't remember what the handlebars looked like prior to that. Ha... the good news is, I've ridden thousands of miles since then and haven't dropped it again.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Wow, thanks everybody. I've never seen another ninja 300 in person to know what they should look like. They really are bent quite a bit. Now to decide whether it's worth replacing them or just deal with it...
Worth replacing :question: I am quite sure that most people would be replacing the handle bars. Whether it be with new ones, or used ones found on EBAY or other sites. Personally, I know that I would be replacing them.

Dealing with them. :WTF: Well, dealing with them would be to take a hammer and bang on the gas tank to put a dent in it where the horn keeps hitting it. That way your horn would not keep blowing and that to me would be dealing with them. :signlol:

I've lived by one standard all my life, which is " Do it RIGHT, or don't do it at all ". :excl:

Question just occurred to me, which I have yet to read anybody asking. Can you turn the handle bars, stop to stop. :question: Can you " lock " the bike. :question: If you can not, then that answers your own question and that is REPLACE THEM . :excl:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yep. Just replace the bars. Used ones are cheap.
I would definitely be looking online for used handle bars. :detectivesmilie:

Just took a look at the prices for new ones and you would be paying $200.00 for new bars as they are $100.00 each. :surprise:

Costly drops. :crying:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've not experienced it myself but if both handlebars are bent, as they seem to be, then it may be from tying it down to a trailer. From what I've read they are easy to over tighten the ties and bend the bars.
But if you're going to replace it anyway then it's a moot point.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As a second thought, a good metal fabrication shop may be able to straighten them at minimal cost.

As far as leaving them the way that they are. What happens if you decide to trade or sell the bike ? Try explaining how both handle bars are bent. People will start to wonder what other problems / damage the bike has.

PERSONALLY , being told that being the perfectionist that I am, all that I can say is " Right is Right & Wrong is Wrong " . :excl:

If you have ever viewed any of the bikes that I have owned, you would swear that they just came off of the showroom floor and looking brand new.

You take care of what you have and in the long run, it will reward and take care of you. :wink2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts