Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed a hissing noise when I use the throttle. It's quite noticeable when I'm on the 3rd gear and above, it might still be there when on lower gears, but I might not be hearing it with my gear and the wind.

Has anyone else had this issue? Did anyone find the problem? I just reached my 1000km and I'm taking it in for it's 1k service on friday.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
I didn't have a hissing noise with my 300. Are you sure it's not your helmet? That's not normal have the dealership check it out.

Reactions: theLight

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Hissing the closest thing I could relate it to. I just took the bike out for a spin with out my helmet (I stayed on my street and avoided traffic) and I still heard it. So helmet is out of question.

I'm not sure about hoses, I'll take a look myself and see tomorrow morning. And as for the chain, I sprayed oil lube for the first time on it yesterday, so I'm wondering if anything happened when I did that. But the thing is I ONLY hear it when I give throttle, but if it was the chain shouldn't I be hearing it as long as I'm moving regardless of giving it throttle or not?

Yeah I'll mention it to the dealer on Friday and see what they say and I'll post an update. Thanks for the help

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Hissing the closest thing I could relate it to. I just took the bike out for a spin with out my helmet (I stayed on my street and avoided traffic) and I still heard it. So helmet is out of question.

I'm not sure about hoses, I'll take a look myself and see tomorrow morning. And as for the chain, I sprayed oil lube for the first time on it yesterday, so I'm wondering if anything happened when I did that. But the thing is I ONLY hear it when I give throttle, but if it was the chain shouldn't I be hearing it as long as I'm moving regardless of giving it throttle or not?

Yeah I'll mention it to the dealer on Friday and see what they say and I'll post an update. Thanks for the help
Omg, I didn't mean go ride without a helmet to test it! I meant close some vents or such, but at least you know that's not the cause. Always wear your helmet, most accidents happen close to home :)

Reactions: theLight

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've been noticing the same thing with mine the last month or so, not sure how long outs been doing this. Will bee trying to figure out out, too. If you figure it out, be sure to let us know!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Omg, I didn't mean go ride without a helmet to test it! I meant close some vents or such, but at least you know that's not the cause. Always wear your helmet, most accidents happen close to home :)
I know it was dumb, but it was super quick just to confirm. I was as safe as I could be. But closing some vents/opening vents would have been the smarter way to go for sure haha.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
maybe airfilter/box related?
Yeah, that's what I've heard in a different forum. I was trying to find that in the service manual so I can check myself but didn't know what to do. I'm kind of new to this stuff. Hopefully when I take in on friday they can look into it.

I've been noticing the same thing with mine the last month or so, not sure how long outs been doing this. Will bee trying to figure out out, too. If you figure it out, be sure to let us know!
I will definitely update when I hear something new. Let us know if you figure something out as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I sometimes had a slight hiss on my 300 too. It didn't affect anything.
Yeah but that noises is driving me nuts. I just can't remember if it was there from the start or not. And because I can't I'm going to assume it's not. I'm going to try to get the dealer to take care of it under warranty. Did you get your rattling fixed under warranty?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

Sorry for getting back to you guys so late, some stuff came up and I was out of town for sometime.

I went to the dealer on friday and they did the 1k service. I mentioned the hissing to the mechanic and he said he'd take a look at it after hes changed the oil and stuff. He took it out for a test drive and said everything is normal. That hissing that I'm hearing at 3rd gear he said was the air being sucked in because as the gears get higher, they need more air for combustion (or something along those lines). So he said it was normal.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
That hissing that I'm hearing at 3rd gear he said was the air being sucked in because as the gears get higher, they need more air for combustion (or something along those lines). So he said it was normal.
The gears themselves have absolutely nothing to do with combustion.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
It's just induction noise. You hear it easiest when shifting gears since you don't have the engine revved to hell at that time and are hearing the partial vacuum of chopping the throttle. I hear it all the time when I'm getting on the bike hard then let out that split second to shift.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The gears themselves have absolutely nothing to do with combustion.
Sorry, I think I was unclear and mis-used some terminology. He said when at those higher gears (like 3rd and above), more air is needed for combustion, so the hissing sound would be that air. I'm having a hard time explaining it lol.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Doesn't matter the gear - it's the load and RPM of the engine that causes it to suck more/less air. You can have the same load and RPM in first that you can have in sixth.

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
It's just induction noise. You hear it easiest when shifting gears since you don't have the engine revved to hell at that time and are hearing the partial vacuum of chopping the throttle. I hear it all the time when I'm getting on the bike hard then let out that split second to shift.
This^^^^^^

You wanna hear the airbox sucking away on my FZ lol. Even stronger sound on them Triumph triples.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts