Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am having trouble with the bike during high speed cornering.

Example:
There is a very very long sweeping corner, a bit bumpy.
Going over 150km/h on this corner in 6th @ full throttle the front end of the bike will be really unstable and wobble all over the place. I understand that I should be putting power on so the back wheel has more weight and that's why I'm at full throttle. I have the stock road winner tyres on and the rear suspension is at the 2nd softest setting (stock).

Would this be caused by the cheap stem bearing kawasaki uses or maybe the engine hasn't got enough oomph to put enough weight on the rear tyre?
Hard leaning any more than I was because of the wobble and I had to keep telling myself to not let go of the throttle unless I wanted to crash.
I get a little bit of wobble on decel at around 60km/h but the bike is extremely stable and planted in a straight line at 180km/h full throttle.

The people I was riding with were going faster on the same sweeping corners on their 600cc+ bikes and told me they had no problem with what I was experiencing.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I also feel the same during high speed corners. I was told to check the tire pressure and make sure they are to spec, turned out mine were almost 7psi over what they should of been. I put them down to their correct psi and it seems to have fixed my problem. I would give that a try before ripping open your steering head.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I checked them this morning before heading out and the front had 26psi and the back had 30psi. IIRC the recommended is 28 front and 32 back so I'll pump them up when I get home and see how I go next time on a high speed run.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
You can run quite a bit over recommended tire pressures and be perfectly fine. It's better to be 10 over than 1 under. Also I would recommend you up your pre-load on the rear suspension. If you are hitting bumpy turns and the pre-load isn't high enough, it'll feel very unstable as the rear will wander a bit after hitting a bump as there may not be quite enough force to force it back down onto the ground quick enough. For example I ride on 4 of 5 and it feels very planted and solid in turns. Before the rear would fishtail out a bit when it hit a pothole or bump mid turn.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm pretty loose on the handle bars and grip the tank with my knees
I'm only 63kg should I try bumping up the preload? The back end feels pretty planted during cornering it's just the front which wobbles about.
May I ask why you pump your tyres so much cruizin?

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
May I ask why you pump your tyres so much cruizin?
i started playing round with tire pressures on road bikes back in 1996 on my honda cbr 250rr.i learnt how to scrape pegs on that bike. great bike it was.

at the recommenced tire pressure that honda said would do, and from memory it was about the same as the tire pressures kwaka said should work

i was not impressed with how the bike went around corners, i had to fight the prick of a thing & it would not go in a straight line on the road or infact *ANYWHERE* i pointed the friggin thing. it was a piece of shit to be honest & i was ready to burn the bastard.

so i went and toyed with pressures and found 38/42 to be the best. now the bike goes around corners a *LOT* eaiser, it just about falls in to them on its own & no longer follows the contours of the road.

the bike now does *EXACTLY* what i want it to do & it no longer has a mind of its own.

every single bike i have owned/ridden i have set the tire pressures the same, be it sports bike, cruizer, tourer, sports tourer, whatever & it makes the bike a much more pleasurable experience

some months ago misses_cruizin bought her self a bike. she picked up a yamaha 650 cruizer

that ^^^^^^ is what misses_cruizin owns. she likes it, thats all that matters. remember, happy wife, happy life;)

so she took it our for a ride & bought it back home & had a big sook that it felt heavy going thru corners & didnt stay in a straight line.

so i tried to tell her the tire pressures were wrong. misses_cruizin didnt believe me, & she should have known better seeing though im the one who taught her how to ride in the first place:p lol

so after some convincing (arguing) about it i managed to get the keys off her & threw her on the back & went to the local servo & pumped the tires up to 38/42

and man the bike on the way there felt like shit. it really did. wouldnt go thru corners & followed every nook & cranny in the road. it was a piece of shit no word of a lie.

so, i pumped the tires up & said to here, here ya go honey, take it for a quick run around the block & come back & i will ride us home.

big mistake.

i was there about half an hour before she turns up again.

she took her helmet off with a big smile on her face & i said to her

hey, i thought i told you to go round the block & come get me

she said

yeah well i sorta did, the bike felt so good i thought i would go for a quick ride

i was like,

yeah good on ya. thanks honey.

so she thanked me for it cos it was a new bike to ride.

tsk, tsk, should have listened to hubby in the first place, what would i know :rolleyes: lol:D

so thats why i do it, cos i learnt years ago after much playing round with tire pressures & done it exactly the same ever since & it has never ever failed me yet

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha your misses reminds me of my girlfriend. When I had the old GPX250 she refused to go on it because it was ugly. Once I got the 300 and after a LOT of convincing she got on the back so I could take her for a ride. She enjoys going for rides now and likes lane splitting too! Should have listened to me earlier! And they complain that men don't listen...

But thanks for the advice mate, I'll try increasing and tweaking tyre pressures to see how it goes for me.

·
Registered
106 Posts
i started playing round with tire pressures on road bikes back in 1996 on my honda cbr 250rr.i learnt how to scrape pegs on that bike. great bike it was.

at the recommenced tire pressure that honda said would do, and from memory it was about the same as the tire pressures kwaka said should work

i was not impressed with how the bike went around corners, i had to fight the prick of a thing & it would not go in a straight line on the road or infact *ANYWHERE* i pointed the friggin thing. it was a piece of shit to be honest & i was ready to burn the bastard.

so i went and toyed with pressures and found 38/42 to be the best. now the bike goes around corners a *LOT* eaiser, it just about falls in to them on its own & no longer follows the contours of the road.

the bike now does *EXACTLY* what i want it to do & it no longer has a mind of its own.

every single bike i have owned/ridden i have set the tire pressures the same, be it sports bike, cruizer, tourer, sports tourer, whatever & it makes the bike a much more pleasurable experience

some months ago misses_cruizin bought her self a bike. she picked up a yamaha 650 cruizer

that ^^^^^^ is what misses_cruizin owns. she likes it, thats all that matters. remember, happy wife, happy life;)

so she took it our for a ride & bought it back home & had a big sook that it felt heavy going thru corners & didnt stay in a straight line.

so i tried to tell her the tire pressures were wrong. misses_cruizin didnt believe me, & she should have known better seeing though im the one who taught her how to ride in the first place:p lol

so after some convincing (arguing) about it i managed to get the keys off her & threw her on the back & went to the local servo & pumped the tires up to 38/42

and man the bike on the way there felt like shit. it really did. wouldnt go thru corners & followed every nook & cranny in the road. it was a piece of shit no word of a lie.

so, i pumped the tires up & said to here, here ya go honey, take it for a quick run around the block & come back & i will ride us home.

big mistake.

i was there about half an hour before she turns up again.

she took her helmet off with a big smile on her face & i said to her

hey, i thought i told you to go round the block & come get me

she said

yeah well i sorta did, the bike felt so good i thought i would go for a quick ride

i was like,

yeah good on ya. thanks honey.

so she thanked me for it cos it was a new bike to ride.

tsk, tsk, should have listened to hubby in the first place, what would i know :rolleyes: lol:D

so thats why i do it, cos i learnt years ago after much playing round with tire pressures & done it exactly the same ever since & it has never ever failed me yet
Cruzin, wouldn't your tires be at risk for blowing out because there is to much pressure inside of them??

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Cruzin, wouldn't your tires be at risk for blowing out because there is to much pressure inside of them??

never happened. not even on my K1200LTSE with my bike trailer attached with about 150 kilograms of gear in it & all panniers loaded up fully.if it was going to blow, it would have done it on the LT for sure

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
The stock tires are not confidence inspiring at all, and the steering head bearings are off the charts garbage grade. Both will cause unsettled behavior, especially on rough roads. Skitterish until you change both.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
The stock tires are not confidence inspiring at all, and the steering head bearings are off the charts garbage grade. Both will cause unsettled behavior, especially on rough roads. Skitterish until you change both.

tire pressure on any road bike if it is too low makes the bike handle like crap though, but your right in what your saying, however i dont have an issue with the stock tyres at all. they are fine for the street in both wet & dry conditions.if you took it to a race track then yes it might case some issues, but not for the average joe who uses it as a commuter, but having said that, when these tires are stuffed, im getting bridgestones fitted:D

1 - 20 of 38 Posts