Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am debating doing a projection HID retrofit this winter, so I am going to start planning it all out now..

I am debating between a couple of options though..

1) one low beam and one high beam just as it is now
2) dual low beam and dual high beam
3) more for show but still very functional, get projectors with halos and demon eyes and have that for my day time running lights. Then that at night flip the high beam switch and two low beam projectors come on. Now dual low beam projectors will give way more light than even the stock halogen high beam so I am not to worried about lighting..

For those that do not know, this is a demon eye projector, you can get them in any color you want though..

What do you guys think??

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seen a car yesterday that I was 100% sure did not come with projectors and the halos on it were so bright they could of almost been headlights! This was is a parking lot by the way, I asked the guy if he installed them himself, and he seemed to know alot about them and told me the new halos have really advanced in technologist and are VERY bright..

I talked with him about what I was thinking about doing to my bike and he said with as bright as the new Halos are I should have no issue not having a day time running light.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I think its important to get a good quality projector. That is indeed the whole point of the projector. Once you have chosen your projector you have to figure out how you are going to wire it to your liking.

If you are going for single xenon or bi xenon projector.
You also have to decide on a HID kit. Having the halo rings for the DLR aren't a bad idea but having them on a night with the low beams is the best look.

Let us know what you decide on. This is likely one of my first mods.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That looks good, but I guess how different would it look without the halos?

After seeing the "demon eye" I think those look really cool, but I cant really show them off unless I go with not having a day time running light..

·
Registered
446 Posts
Once I got into the luxury cars I started to despise all the knock off "angel eyes" and LED eyebrow looking things. Being a car guy I think they look ridiculous. Might as well go to autozone and buy "turbo" badges to stick all over your ride.

Audi lost my business when they got rid of their LED headlights and went with the (IMO hideous) 2013 redesign of the S4 headlights. I almost feel like they did it to make it unique and not as easy to copy with an LED strip added to your POS Dodge Neon.

Granted it IS a little different for bikes because it is not like you want people to think it's a luxury car, you just like how it looks, but it's just not my taste.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of the LED strips on cars but I do like them on bikes. You aren't really copying anyone because bike manufacturers don't offer it as a standard. If you slap the LED strips on your civic you are just trying to mimic an Audi. In terms of the halos. They are ok on cars that look like they have them stock but most of the time it doesn't look that great. I do like them on bikes though.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think the Halos look awesome on bikes just because its not normal, if bikes started to have them stock then my thoughts might change.. But the LED strips in headlights i think look like crap myself haha..

I have not its a though choice haha.. I think I a going to go on some other forums where more members know about this mod and talk to them and get some input and advice..

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Man that place is popular!!! I will have to make an account on there and post up some questions a little later on today..

I am in no rush for the project because the weather is still respectable around here.. Once the snow hits then I will be shut down and bored haha

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hidplanet is the place to go.
that place has a ton on posts but it seems pretty much dead now.. I didnt notice there first page of posts has some several days old.. There is more posting on this board than on that board.. I posted a question yesterday and one one strange random response then nothing haha..

·
Registered
554 Posts
Might have changed then.. When I went on it a few months ago to ask a question I got tons of help. What exactly are you asking? For the projector retrofit it's basically

1. baking the headlight open
2. finding a way to mount the projector in the housing with jb weld and some elbow grease
3. aim projectors

There are many DIYs online of HOW TO RETROFIT HEADLIGHTS. They are all basically the same.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Might have changed then.. When I went on it a few months ago to ask a question I got tons of help. What exactly are you asking? For the projector retrofit it's basically

1. baking the headlight open
2. finding a way to mount the projector in the housing with jb weld and some elbow grease
3. aim projectors

There are many DIYs online of HOW TO RETROFIT HEADLIGHTS. They are all basically the same.
How hard is it to get the aim right? Do you make them "adjustable" so you don't screw up?

HIDs in projectors are really up towards the top of my mod list.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The retrofit projectors them self are not adjustable, they just solidly attach to the reflector so you adjust the reflector.

To adjust them you will need to have two people and a large flat wall. You can go behind a grocery store or something.. Someone needs to sit on the bike as you adjust it, just because it if you adjust them on a stand it will throw them off because it is not the bikes natural riding height.. I do not remember the heights required for lights but basicly you just part 25' or so away from the wall and then make the top of the light a certain number of inches off the ground..

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.