Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 3 pain In the a$$ days it's finally done! Probably the worst experience in my whole life hahaha. We got white halos, and 6000k HiDs. The wiring was pretty straight forward but funny how the box says "easy installation" which is bs haha. Ill take a picture of them on when my battery is charged up.

ImageUploadedByMO Free1356983158.869935.jpg

Here's the mess:
ImageUploadedByMO Free1356983177.317994.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheap clips meaning they will break easily so be careful. One broke so I had to cut it off lol. Hiding everything is the worst part. Oh I love the 600 it's a great ride man.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Sometimes the most PITA mods are the most worth it. How's the light output now? Still waiting for my set to come in. Until then I am running highs all the time. Cannot stand the one light for lows. Just be sure to adjust the high beam to be level with the low beam.

Reactions: grrriffin

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The output is amazing! You can't compare, you can see from miles away now. It was worth it but I'm just gunna buy a bike with projectors from now on

·
Registered
839 Posts
They look REALLY good, wonderful mod that changes the look a ton!

Really makes the bike look alive, like it's peering at you :p

·
Registered
323 Posts
I effing hate HID lights!

No offense to the OP, it's your bike, your money, do what you like. I'm not attacking you or anybody else with HIDs.

I, along with millions of other people suffer from migraines and those lights are proven to trigger migraines.
I don't understand what the point of being able to see more is when it blinds anybody else in oncoming traffic. They are great if you're the one piloting the vehicle with HIDs but it's like somebody is high beaming you. In fact, I'm pretty sure the guys around here ride with their high beams on full time even in the day, as if to be showing off look at my lights. Sitting across an intersection at a red light from somebody with HIDs is infuriating.

Anytime there's a car or bike with HIDs oncoming, I can't see anything for like 4 or 5 seconds after the car or bike passes. That's 4 or 5 dangerous seconds that I am unaware of anything going on around my car. I got a kid in the back seat man that is no joke.

I am not the only person complaining about these lights. There are tons of people who hate them as well. I can hear the crazy responses now. "If you can't see, get checked out" "take some meds", "if you're scared don't drive". That's BS.

The issue is, do these extra bright lights provide for increased safety or decreased safety? Even people who don't have migraines complain the lights are too darn bright and pose a safety issue.

Most people who do this mod are doing it for aesthetics and not increased visibility. That makes it even worse. "I want my joint to look good even though it may create unsafe road conditions".

Well I can only imagine the debate following this post. For the record I do like the aesthetics the mod creates, I'm just sharing my opinion of the other side of that coin.

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
thecomputerguy...I'm not sure if you understand how properly set up projectors work. it is completely different from throwing an HID bulb into a housing that was made for a halogen bulb.

you do know that most luxury cars come with HID projectors stock right? and that you never notice them, even when looking in your rearview or staring directly at them...other than their color. they are brighter, and safer and make a better cut off line than halogen bulbs.

it is the douchebags in cheap hondas and lifted trucks that throw an HID bulb into a stock housing that is built to reflect halogen lighting. this results in there being no real cut off line and blinding everyone while also resulting in unsafe lighting conditions for the driver because the pattern on the ground will be ****.

the BK moto setup is a legit setup that will greatly increase the drivers safety, dramatically improve the front in aesthetics, and not blind anyone.

·
Registered
839 Posts
There is pros and cons with anything people do. I am a pro for doing anything to make your motorcycle more visible and quite frankly hate the stock light output, I feel like its minimal. Hence the reason I do barely any night riding. I also live in a country setting which may have a lot to do with my opinions on the output..there is like barely any street lamps around my area until you travel 20 minutes into town. Just woods, and more woods....occasional a stray animal or deer.

With HIDs there's no comparison. 3200 lumens is the output of a single HID bulb (factory 4300K color temps, not these 10K crap you see ricers using). The only halogen for vehicle use to come close to that is the H9 at 2200-2500 lumens. That being said most manufacturer's only use them in high beams.

Pro: Greater Brilliance with Less Energy
HID bulbs provide greater illumination at much less cost in energy than incandescent bulbs. They release more radiation as visible light instead of heat. They also provide greater illumination than other low-energy lights like fluorescent light bulbs. As a result, they have often been used for large open areas, like stadiums.

Pro: Clearest Lighting for Driving
HID lights not only provide more light than other light bulbs, but also emit light toward the blue-white end of the spectrum, which is more easily seen by night time drivers. They light up the area ahead of a car more clearly than conventional lights.

Con: Less Natural Fade
HID lights have less fade between the beams of light and the surrounding darkness. This can be a disadvantage when driving on uncertain and winding roads. The area around the beams will not be visible at all, whereas incandescent lights, while not as bright, would illuminate more of the area around the beams.

Con: Glare
The largest disadvantage for HID lights is the glare that drivers who are driving in the opposite direction experience when they pass a vehicle with HID lights. Because HID lights emit light closer to the blue side of the spectrum, which is more visible to drivers at night, the light comes across as painfully blinding to other drivers.

I respect everyones opinion, just figured I would add my outlooks as well. ;)

·
Registered
839 Posts
HIDs are a brighter more focused light, whereas halogens are a lower output scattered beam.

·
Hero of Time
1,352 Posts
Con: Glare
The largest disadvantage for HID lights is the glare that drivers who are driving in the opposite direction experience when they pass a vehicle with HID lights. Because HID lights emit light closer to the blue side of the spectrum, which is more visible to drivers at night, the light comes across as painfully blinding to other drivers.

I respect everyones opinion, just figured I would add my outlooks as well. ;)
buick girl :p

its right minus this last part. a projector HID will appear to have a bluish tint yes, even a purple tint if the noob puts in an aftermarket bulb with over 8000k rating. HIDs come in as low as 3000k which is a pure yellow...the color doesn't hurt your eyes...the bad aiming or not having a projector is what blinds oncoming drivers.

also non blue HIDs are actually better than the bluish hue variations, the bluish hue is just more commonly thought of as a better looking alternative to the yellow-white hue.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Sure enough, had that stuff saved from research I did about a week ago when looking at kits :p

Useful info none-the-less

·
Registered
839 Posts
buick girl :p

its right minus this last part. a projector HID will appear to have a bluish tint yes, even a purple tint if the noob puts in an aftermarket bulb with over 8000k rating. HIDs come in as low as 3000k which is a pure yellow...the color doesn't hurt your eyes...the bad aiming or not having a projector is what blinds oncoming drivers.

also non blue HIDs are actually better than the bluish hue variations, the bluish hue is just more commonly thought of as a better looking alternative to the yellow-white hue.
So would the light output be as good in the 3k, without the blinding effect?
All the tuners around here run the blues, greens, and purples...looks like skittle bags rolling down the road. :p

·
Registered
561 Posts
just remember there is a difference between HID's in a reflector made for a halogen bulb that throw the light everywhere, i agree those who do it should be ticketed. But when the HID is in a projector designed to throw the light where it is intended to go i have no problem with that. I know there are several cars that come stock with HID's and projectors. I dont know what color 300 you have, I have the black one, in the last 2 months I have had at least 7 cars pull right out in front of me as if the cant see me, I want to do everything I can to make sure I can be seen, if that means brighter lights will help I will do it.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Projectors do not reflect the light, they "project it" instead of bouncing it everywhere with reflectors like stock bulbs. YouTube works wonders if you take the time to research a little bit lol

1 - 20 of 48 Posts