Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question: How to match the engine speed when you’re slowing down but not to a completed stop before making right turn, given that you are on 6th gear at 38 miles/hr?

Please also indicate whether engine breaking is involved. If so, how is that applied as part of your slowing downing prep for making a turn?

Thank you. :)

·
Registered
294 Posts
I think i understand it,but not sure, i will give my best judgement on how I approach a turn.
Im going 45 in 6th gear, i slap on the blinker, use clutch, downshift 3 times, while still holding the clutch, apply breaks evenly, slow down to about 20, depress clutch slightly, right before turn, putting the clutch in the friction zone, this is also engine breaking the bike with the slipper clutch, but when in third gear at 20, there really is no engine breaking. Finally while riding friction zone, make turn, while slightly rolling on the throttle, and releasing the clutch, causing a slow increase for turn follow out.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I haven't had a chance to try it yet on the bike but it is the same principle as engine braking in your car. If you rev match, it offers smooth downshifts that will put less wear on the clutch, and not cause the back end to jump around or momentarily lock the tires.

After driving around in whatever vehicle, you get a feel for what RPM it suitable for which gear. For example: If I'm in 5th gear in my civic going 100 kph I'll be revving around 3200 RPM. If I downshifted to 4th and kept the same speed, it would jump to maybe 4500 RPM. So if I wanted to smoothly downshift from 5th to 4th, I need to rev match to 4500 RPM first. Ideally you want to aim for 100ish RPM lower than your target.

So the procedure is as follows:
1) Clutch in
2) Blip throttle to increase to 4400 RPM (almost at same time as clutch in. Like as soon as your out of the friction zone you add throttle)
3) Simultaneously downshift to 4th
4) Release the clutch (If your confident you hit the right RPM you can release the clutch very quickly)

The amount of throttle between gears often depends on the gear ratio difference between those gears. When I blip the throttle to go from 5th to 4th, I stab the pedal to the floor for a fraction of a second. But if I'm downshifting from 3rd to 2nd, I only depress the gas pedal maybe half way for the same duration to hit my target RPM. This is because 2nd and 3rd gear are much closer together. But note, this also depends on the speed you happen to be travelling in that gear. If I were going 80 kph in 3rd gear, I'd need to stab the pedal to the floor for the same duration to get the revs high enough to safely downshift to 2nd. Downshifting agressively like this is only really suitable in rave situations where you are diving into a corner and need to be in a gear with enough torque to launch you out of the corner.

If you gave it too much RPM, the vehicle will speed up a bit and lurch forward. If you nailed it perfect, you won't even feel the shift. If you hit a bit lower than target, the clutch will be a bit tougher on engagement, and the vehicle will slow down with a bit of a jerk.

This whole process take a lot of practice to get right. But once you figure out what target to aim for, and master applying the right amount of throttle very quickly, you can get some very fast, smooth downshifts without engaging the slipper clutch. This lets you confidently engine brake at lower gears without having to worry about rough shifts to get there.

As for your specific scenario of 38 mph, I can only speculate, but 6th gear it a pretty high gear to be in at that speed. I'd assume you'd be using 6th to cruise at a constant speed with no hill to climb. Since this is the upper limit of gearing you could use at that speed, 4th or 5th would be happy to run at the same speed. You could probably downshift twice without needing to worry about rev matching and engine braking won't be noticible until you hit 3rd gear. Rev match and downshift from 4th to 2nd and combine brakes as needed approaching the corner. Launch out of the corner in 2nd and you're good to go.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I dont brake at all normally, I use engine breaking to slow down, unless i'm going to a stop, then I'll use a little brake once I am in first. Its all about planning your turn before you are even close the turn itself.

if going 45 in 6'th, i downshift twice to about 20, using engine breaking, then turn. Of course use blinker etc etc

its about knowing the rpm and ranges of each gear.

try doing this: go in 6'th at a set speed, then downshift once, and see how fast u slow down, then repeat with 2 gears etc. or do in succession go form 6'th and go down from there fast and see how much pull, if its too much do it slower.

play with it, dont wait till you need to know it to figure it out lol thats how people drop their bikes and go in ditches

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Lets see, mine will go 37 MPH at the limiter in first, 57 iirc in second so I'd clamp on the brakes, drop 4 and slip out the clutch as I entered the turn, roll on the throttle and be gone.

Between the slipper clutch and the free revving, low compression you can downshift aggressively like a 4 cylinder and there are no real negative consequences, just be below the redline maximum RPMs to avoid valve float.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.