Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I am looking into purchasing a Ninja 300 and I have some questions.

1. Should I buy new or used?
2. If I buy a used bike what questions do I need to ask the seller to make sure the bike is good? (I will be taking any bike to a mechanic to get it looked at before I make the purchase but I want to screen some of the bikes I am looking at so I do not waste too much time driving around looking at bikes that I could have eliminated by asking the right questions)
3. What should I be looking at when I am doing my initial inspection of the bike before I decide whether or not to walk away or take it to a mechanic to take a final look?
4. Are there any things that I should be aware of that would make me automatically walk away from the purchase?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated and will help me tremendously as i make my first foray into motorcycle purchases and riding.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I'm on the same boat as you. I came across a bike on craigslist and turns out the owner still owes money on it and instead of paying it off and giving you the title, he wanted to do a 'lien release'. I'm not 100% sure on what that is but I've read people can get scammed from that. (correct me if i'm wrong)
1. I would find out how many owners have had it. The guy I went to check out the bike is the 2nd owner but that doesn't mean it's always bad, sometimes people sell it due to emergency situations and they need the money or they want to upgrade.
2. If it has been laid down regardless of speed, be cautious. yes the fairing will have scratches/cracks but there might be other things that might of been damaged that you can't see. Just be wary. Doesn't hurt to take it to a mechanic to get it checked out.
3. Ask the seller how the bike was broken in (aggressive or not, did he stay within 6-7k rpm during break in period) Does he have the records for the 600miles maintenance. If he lets you, take it for a test ride and go through all the gears. Visually inspect any leaks. Check tire wear and chicken strips. Google T-CLOCKS, it's a guideline for pre-inspection. Sometimes just looking at the seller can tell a lot on how he/she treats the bike.
***I'm a fresh rider looking for a bike as well so please correct me if i'm wrong. This is what I've looked up and have gathered regarding buying used bikes. Goodluck and keep us updated!!

·
Registered
169 Posts
:iagree: Buying used on a bike like this is only going to save you a few hundred dollars most likely and you're going to deal with a lot more uncertainty. If you're buying used, get something worth buying used like an old Ninja 250 for around 2k or a nice 600 for around 3-4k. Buying a barely used bike that resells really high like the Ninjas do is more headache than it's worth. You only have to worry about your own mistakes with a new 300!

·
Registered
232 Posts
I was a strong believer in buying used as a first bike and I did. However, I now have an issue that no one has been able to fix and it had led me to buy a NEW Ninja 300. My issue is definitely more dangerous especially for someone who is still learning. So, now I have a new perspective on it. If you can afford it, definitely buy new. Just be prepared to scuff it up, unless you are a natural pro ;) Good luck!

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was a strong believer in buying used as a first bike and I did. However, I now have an issue that no one has been able to fix and it had led me to buy a NEW Ninja 300. My issue is definitely more dangerous especially for someone who is still learning. So, now I have a new perspective on it. If you can afford it, definitely buy new. Just be prepared to scuff it up, unless you are a natural pro ;) Good luck!
Lol yeah, I've already dropped mine on ice once and wrecked it once through a turn. It's going to happen, just accept it!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Lol yeah, I've already dropped mine on ice once and wrecked it once through a turn. It's going to happen, just accept it!
- Hahah, yeah! I'm no stranger to the pavement either, but I accepted from the beginning I'm going to make mistakes. Adding scrapes to the bike just gives it character ;)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I said the hell with common advice (most of which I think is just repeated catechism anyway), and I'm buying brand spanking new for several reasons.

1) I've never owned a new vehicle, and I'd rather lose the proverbial 10% off the lot on a 6000$ vehicle than a 35000$ vehicle (600$ vs 3500$).

2) Besides the break in and first servicing, I really just want to have relatively trouble free riding for my first season on it, and have anything that does happen to be defective covered by warranty.

3) Shiny - like finding out your new girlfriend is a virgin and ready to give it up.

4) I don't feel like discussing how much mods are worth and frankly, I'm going to leave mine stock for the first year, except the seats, and possibly the tires. Really, I don't know anything better, and I can only compare it to a 28 year old 80cc scooter so it's going to rock.

My next bike will probably be a 600CC SS, whether a kawi or not, I've not decided, I'm also game for looking at the CBR 300 if it's released by May, or the KTM RC390, since it just barely falls in the same class as far as insurance is concerned. Either way, I'm going new.

If you still want to go used, bring someone who knows the used bike market. I can bring my father in law who can measure up a seller in no time and come up with a bunch of reasons for them to lower their prices. Who knows? I might just end up with an older Cruiser or something.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.