Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Administrator
3,468 Posts
Looking for my first bike, I'm 5,1 I'm not sure if height matters or weight, but I was wondering if this would be a good idea to buy as my first bike.
Hi! Welcome to the forum. We have plenty of height challenged folks, myself included, who ride Ninja 300s. I'm 5' 1" tall, with a 28.5" inseam and I have no problems controlling the bike. I will say that you either have to practice stopping with all the balls of your feet on the ground and get very comfortable with it; or, you will need to lower the bike a little bit to get more reach. I learned to ride on the 300 and have loved every mile I've put on it. I kept mine at stock height for the first 8 years and had no issues; after a bit of health issues with my hip, last year I lowered it about an inch. Whether you lower it or not, is completely up to your comfort level.

· Registered
408 Posts
I concur with Rogue. Was my first bike as well, and currently is my only bike. Very beginner friendly controls, with maybe the slight exception of the seat height and maximum bar turning angles. But don't be discouraged, with proper technique even the most hard to manage motorcycles become a breeze to tightly maneuver and handle.

Mine's been dropped a few times by previous owners and buddies, and I don't have sliders or any drop protection, but I'd highly recommend it in hindsight. Cheap insurance to keep your ride looking and feeling like new.

The biggest thing to consider IMO is the condition of the specific 300 you are looking at. If it was well cared for, maintained, clean, has all fluids full, it's probably a great buy. But like my roommate, I helped him buy his N300, and we found one for a great low price, but it was kinda in shambles in person. But having the experience working on and fixing my own 300, I told him the cost of the repairs would still make it a good deal, and it was, and he track rides it now.

Sucks to try to learn on a bike that's got issues all the time. I've seen it, and it really sucks. Bring a motorcycle inclined friend along to help you make a used bike purchase (since I assume that is what you'll be doing)

-Mike

· Registered
656 Posts
Have you taken a basic rider class? Before buying anything, I would complete the class. They will have a few different small bikes to try, and you may find something that really suits you.

The Ninja 300 isn't large, but it isn't tiny either. For your first cycle, a smaller, lighter, cycle like a CBR250R could be a good choice as well. Don't buy anything new, almost new, or too nice for your first - you will drop it.

Don't try to teach yourself to ride. Get training. You need solid technique and a good understanding of the basics before hitting the streets.

Make sure you have all the gear, and wear it all the time. I've been riding and racing for almost 45 years, and don't go around the block without all of it.

You need to have the skills and mentality to immediately react to any situation you may encounter.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi! Welcome to the forum. We have plenty of height challenged folks, myself included, who ride Ninja 300s. I'm 5' 1" tall, with a 28.5" inseam and I have no problems controlling the bike. I will say that you either have to practice stopping with all the balls of your feet on the ground and get very comfortable with it; or, you will need to lower the bike a little bit to get more reach. I learned to ride on the 300 and have loved every mile I've put on it. I kept mine at stock height for the first 8 years and had no issues; after a bit of health issues with my hip, last year I lowered it about an inch. Whether you lower it or not, is completely up to your comfort level.
To lower a bike, can you do it yourself or do you need to go to a shop to get it done.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you taken a basic rider class? Before buying anything, I would complete the class. They will have a few different small bikes to try, and you may find something that really suits you.

The Ninja 300 isn't large, but it isn't tiny either. For your first cycle, a smaller, lighter, cycle like a CBR250R could be a good choice as well. Don't buy anything new, almost new, or too nice for your first - you will drop it.

Don't try to teach yourself to ride. Get training. You need solid technique and a good understanding of the basics before hitting the streets.

Make sure you have all the gear, and wear it all the time. I've been riding and racing for almost 45 years, and don't go around the block without all of it.

You need to have the skills and mentality to immediately react to any situation you may encounter.
I live in Canada so I'm not too sure how it works but I know once you get you're m1 you can drive in public. Of course, there are certain rules. Should I get a bike after I have my m2, not before? Would that be a better option? I've been looking for the gears to get but im not too sure wich ones, I know I need a helmet and gloves but im not too sure where or what, i should buy.

· Registered
656 Posts
I live in Canada so I'm not too sure how it works but I know once you get you're m1 you can drive in public. Of course, there are certain rules. Should I get a bike after I have my m2, not before? Would that be a better option? I've been looking for the gears to get but im not too sure wich ones, I know I need a helmet and gloves but im not too sure where or what, i should buy.
I would start searching for rider instruction to see what's available in your area.

Before buying anything, I would take a training course. They should be able to help you figure out what you need.

· Registered
495 Posts
Judging by "M1" and "M2" I assume you are in Ontario?
In NS, we have "Safety Services NS" that puts on a course. When you finish the course, you have your bike license. It costs something like $600 now, and it's worth every penny. I'd recommend looking into something like that. Note, it's not a government-run thing, but they are somehow linked to the DMV.

Google suggests this is the ON equivalent:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.