Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up a Yoshimura Fender Eliminator kit for my 300. Is anyone else having a hard time getting the phillips screws out from the indicator light brackets?

I've already stripped mine. Any tips to get it them out? I've looked on YouTube and most of the solutions won't work for the tight space (ie using a drill is impossible).

Thanks for the help in advance!

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same problem. In the end I gave up and ordered some after market ones for 15 bucks off E bay.

Lots of generic auto part shops are stocking after market ones these days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I'll try this. I guess the only other options out there are to shear the head off or get special pliers...

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
If you can get to the other side of the screw, it CAN be drilled out from the other end if you can't get to the head. Since I didn't have a proper drill nor a tap and dye kit, I had to take my bike back to the dealership to drill out the master cylinder reservoir screw I stripped out with barely any force. Practically coned out the entire head of the screw at around 20-inch--lbs of force.

The hardware that comes on this bike is very cheap and soft and even the crappiest quality tools will strip out the screws and bolt heads long before you could bend or damage the tools. I'm pretty disappointed with the bike hardware. It's almost like they used lead for all the hardware strength wise as you'll strip and bend everything out long before you break torque.

No they don't have to be Kawasaki ninja 300 specific for most of the hardware on the bike uses standard metric sizing. Now they may not be painted black, but swapping all the hardware out for much stronger stainless steel or even high grade aluminum as you go about your bike is definitely a headache saver in the long run.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was able to use a dremel and basically turn the screwhead from phillips to flathead. This allowed me to use a flathead screwdriver with much more torque than i could get with any of my phillips I had laying around. Afterward I went and got hex screws to replace them with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts