Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! New rider here. I'm really upset that I just dropped my 2013 bike yesterday. The scenario still plays in my head on what I could've done better. Long story short, I was driving home when a traffic light suddenly changed yellow while a couple feet away from it. Since I was right in front of the police station I squeezed both brakes and the front tire skidded. I went down on the right side with nothing but a bruised knee, deep fairing scratches and a slightly busted confidence. I'm not sure what went wrong, but the bike did have abs. Only thing I could think of is the previous owner said he put on new tires and it rained a bit earlier in the day.
Am I able to get at least the majority of the scratches out with sandpaper and scratchX? And what about the cracks? I read about using abs or fiber glass, but I'm not sure. I've never done any type of bodywork before, but I just can't justify the cost of new fairings, especially since I'm still new. I really appreciate all the help, even if it's just to critique my riding!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey it's demoralizing, I know. something similar happened to me some years ago. I took the wrong turn and realized I was entering a one-way street from the wrong side. the road was empty but it's a place where local cops love to ambush drivers, so I panicked and dropped it. years later my knee still hurts if I kneel sideway (but not otherwise). so basically I hurt myself and dropped my bike because I was scared of the cops. I was never scared of the cops in italy but american cops are crazy...

any bike is hard to control at low speeds unless you're a professional rider. I think we both made the same mistake of panicking, which impairs your driving. I've gotten out of worse situations while riding because I did not panic. for example once I tried to stop in the rain for a red light, I skidded and the read tire went sideway, I almost dropped it, almost hit the car in front but I didn't (no ABS). if you learnt your lesson don't feel like you are a bad rider.

about the fairings, I actually had to repair similar damage because my bike was hit while parked a couple of times. I can tell you that unless you spend a lot of time on it (and some money), it's not going to look as good as new. I used ABS plastic rods and melted them behind the fairing to seal the crack, then I spray painted it. but spray paint won't look as good as a new fairing unless you know what you're doing and use a good paint. my paint, years later, doesn't look that great and I'm just thinking to put reflective tape on it.

now a brand new set of fairings from Asia costs about $300. so keep that in mind when you start thinking how much to spend on paint and tools to fix yours, vs buying a new set.
Thanks for the response man! Yeah it was definitely panic that got to me.
I really should've just sped through, but since it's the end of the month the cops got some quotas they need to fill. I'm sorry to hear about your knee man, but I appreciate you sharing your response with me. It makes me feel less like an idiot.
I decided to go with the fairing route. Some guy near me was selling a bunch of oem fairings in bulk for 250 so I grabbed them. Some of them have scratches but they really aren't that bad and can send them all off on my own. I know a guy who paints bikes who can do the job for me real cheap whenever I decide to do that. But for now I'll ride for the broken fairings just in case something bad happens again
I did manage to get most of the scratches out of mine. So it doesn't look too bad.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts