Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, helmets! I am looking at investing in a new helmet as the one i have at this point in time was an older one of my father. I am currently in the ballpark point of something $600 or less, and have found some good ones of shoei. The current options i have been looking at are the shoei gt-air, shoei neotec, and the shoei modular, i would like to have the sun visor but if not then thats fine. I am looking at comfort mainly and safety. Let us know your feedback on these helmets, or others you could suggest!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I own the Shoei GT-Air Journey, and I would recommend it to anyone. It has all the features I could ask for in a helmet:

- Pinlock insert = mechanical defog defense, so you never have to re-apply a solution, and it works very reliably
- Integrated sun visor: I hated changing shields all the time
- Aerodynamic - low wind noise and little drag, even when head checking
- Relatively light - Sun visor adds s slight bit of heft but it is still a light helmet
- Vents - they work great and it's easy to adjust them on the fly. I almost never used to adjust the vents on my old helmet but on this on it is SUPER easy.
- Small: Unlike my old helmet, Shoei offers several shell sizes so this one fits in my backpack no problem for carrying it around

I also like the styling of the journey, and the reflective paint around the back for night riding. Overall its about as comfy as my old helmet, but the reduced noise is the best part there.

For safety, it is DOT certified. Since Snell doesn't certify Helmets with integrated sun visors, that's it. But it's a Shoei, so I will trust the testing they did to live up to Snell standards regardless of the sun visor.

·
Banned
277 Posts
There are a few great brands but brands and models are designed to fit different shaped heads, what you really need to do is go to a shop that has some for you to try on and decide from there (maybe see if they'll compete or get close to online pricing since you're using them as a service).

My favorite helmet to date is the AGV GP-Tech, exceptionally light weight, minimal noise, and very comfortable. My next up would be the Arai Profile, super comfy, fairly light weight, but a bit larger in overal size and slightly more noise.

Stay away from low end helmets (HJC/Vega/Icon/KBC/etc).

·
Registered
292 Posts
There are a few great brands but brands and models are designed to fit different shaped heads, what you really need to do is go to a shop that has some for you to try on and decide from there (maybe see if they'll compete or get close to online pricing since you're using them as a service).

My favorite helmet to date is the AGV GP-Tech, exceptionally light weight, minimal noise, and very comfortable. My next up would be the Arai Profile, super comfy, fairly light weight, but a bit larger in overal size and slightly more noise.

Stay away from low end helmets (HJC/Vega/Icon/KBC/etc).
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/hjc-rpha-10-spies-ii-helmet

Don't think I'd categorize this as a "low end" helmet ;)

·
Registered
923 Posts
As much as I liked the RPHA 10, I was disappointed when I put it on. I'm a size xs and it was still too big. There wasn't as much padding as I like either. The Scorpion750 helmet I have, is very padded. I hate it, because the RPHA 10 is so incredibly light!

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
523 Posts
HJC, Icon, and KBC all make excellent helmets, though I'm pretty sure KBC's US distributor has either gone out of business or dropped them (you can get a VR CHEAP right now if you look). I can't speak to Vega, however.

That being said, I'd go with the GT-Air out of the picks you've listed. Modular helmets tend to be noisier and the hinges and latches needed for the chin bar just present more potential areas of failure in a crash.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have an hjc bt max. I love it wore it everyday for about a year so far. Only gripe is its loud. No biggie. Tried on a large rpha it was right compared to this. I would recommend either though or a Qwest. Also I would not buy a Vega helmet they look cheap as all get out. But their mercury mesh for around town on the other hand....

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Hi guys, helmets! I am looking at investing in a new helmet as the one i have at this point in time was an older one of my father. I am currently in the ballpark point of something $600 or less, and have found some good ones of shoei. The current options i have been looking at are the shoei gt-air, shoei neotec, and the shoei modular, i would like to have the sun visor but if not then thats fine. I am looking at comfort mainly and safety. Let us know your feedback on these helmets, or others you could suggest!
I've just been through the ringer with helmets, and have learned a lot.

The very first thing you should know is what kind of head you are. Don't get stuck on brand. Know your head shape first!

Are you a:

1. Long-oval head? This is my head-shape and seems to be a category we Caucasian types fall in to more often than not.

2. Round-oval head? According to Arai, more Asians will fall into this category.

3. Medium-oval? Some long-ovals can fit into this shell-shape.

The very best thing you can do with helmets is try them on, in-person, at a store, and then leave them on for at least 10-15 minutes. Check for hot-spots.

Historically, I've been an Arai long-oval head and have always worn expensive Arai helmets. First I had the Signet-GT and then the intermediate-oval Arai profile. Later, I tried-out the Arai Signet-Q.

When I went to search for less-expensive helmets I could wear, I tried many brands...Shoei, HJC and others at Bert's Megamall in Covina. I realized that the small HJC CL-16 in a small replaces an Arai Signet-Q in a medium. Sometimes, the sizes don't translate across brands or even different models for a given brand. I would never have discovered this had I not tried some helmets on in-person.

Also consider that many people are wearing helmets too big for them, and the shell-sizes in bigger sizes are going to be physically-bigger on you, resulting in that 'lollipop' head look for some.

However, I also found that the HJC IS-16 (with built-in sun visor) fits me in a medium, and not a small. Same with the HJC RPHA-10.

Try them on in-person, see which brand and model fits you...and then pick your colors and features. It also helps to measure the circumference of your head with a measuring tape so you have a general starting point (in CM). My head is 57.5 CM, so that puts me in a medium for most, but not all models.

The online thing is painful...if you go that route you'll probably end up doing a lot of returns unless you nail it the first time.

Definitely check out HJC. The RPHA-10 is a fantastic helmet at a great price, and seems to be an intermediate to long-oval shape (I found it quite comfortable even for my long-oval head). Some helmets are louder than others, but you should be wearing earplugs when riding anyway (to protect your hearing).

Check out the video below, featuring an Arai representative helping fit someone, in-person. It's hard to hear (noise) but worth watching anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SPC5U_W_Evg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts