Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I have been looking at gear online just to get an idea of how much everything will cost. I noticed that helmets can range from $70-$1000, is there really that big of a difference in helmets to justify a helmet worth several hundred dollars? Where does the price for a helmet just become ridiculous? I know people will say 'well how much do you think your head is worth?' but, my head is telling me that $900-1000 is a tad much. :eek:

Any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Anything over $300 is too much for me. Most bike helmets will do their job to protect, but what you really need is the right mind set when riding the bike. JMO

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agreed, I was thinking about 300 would be a good limit. After that it seems like you are paying for the name brand / design.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Name/brand has something to do with it, but you're also paying for attention to detail.

Most helmets above $200'ish will protect you relatively equally, but the more expensive ones will have more convenience features, will be built lighter, more aerodynamic and just have better designs overall.

The most important thing is that you get a helmet that fits you properly.

·
Registered
958 Posts
What Dave said is exactly right. The fit is the most important thing. Try on a few different helmets by different manufactures, wear them for a little while (at least 5 minutes if not longer) to make sure that they don't start to bother you anywhere on your head (yes, you'll feel odd walking around the store with a helmet on) but it's the best way. Each manufacture makes slightly different shapes so you'll probably find one that feels better than another. After that, different features just add to the price.(carbon fiber, venting, aerodynamics, quitetness, ect.)

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've found that my $400 Shoei TZ-R helmet has held up extremely well over the past 4 1/2 years. I wouldn't expect the same quality from a cheapie helmet.

Fit is paramount but be sure to check out the quality of the visor and its seal.
It's also nice to know, when you buy a well-known helmet, that replacement parts will be widely available.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'd stick with $200+ but thats just me. I have a Bell Star and its pretty nice and comfortable. I had a carbon HJC before and it was loud from the wind.

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
There used to be huge gap in protection, fit, finish, weight and venting between the planet's best helmets, Arai and Shoei, and the other brands.

As technology has advanced, that gap has def. closed and it basically boils down to said fit, venting, weight and graphics. Bell has had a deserved resurgence from their pit and HJC filled that mid price gap well with their RPS10 and now the RPHA.

You just have to try several on and see how they fit the noggin and go from there. And these days, the impact on the wallet is a huge factor as well.

Not everyone can get a $500-$700 Arai or Shoei, but def dont just settle for a $80 Fulmer or Spark.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Like everyone has said try on different helmets. Also take into account head shape, sizing, noise, comfort...

This website has a bunch of great reviews (sorry not sure if i'm allowed to post a link from another site)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

But I found it to be very helpful because they cover pretty much everything. Also remember.. what is your head worth to you. Once I buy the bike I think i'll be getting a shoei qwest. Wanted an rf 1100 but head shape was wrong ..actually made me feel sick due to the amount of pressure on the sides.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
i have owned Suomy and Shoei helmets for the past 17 years until i stumbled upon KBC helmets.

if i could afford it i would definitely have a Suomy helmet in a heart beat for the simple fact it is so **** light to wear.

I spend 200$ AUD on a KBC helmet , it has the Australian safety sticker on it to say it meets or passes our standards, removable liner and weighs the same as my old Shoei helmet i payed almost $600 for.
if your on a budget, you cant go past KBC helmets

1 - 12 of 12 Posts