Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ohhh forgot about that...the Google Glass case. Said driver wasn't pulled over for the accessory itself but the accessory was deemed a violation of VC 27602 "Television". Interesting development indeed.
Thanks for the context. Code VC 27602 refers to video content that is categorized as entertainment or business application. GPS, mapping display, or vehicle information is allowable....I guess track time could be questionable.

I think it really depends on the content that is displayed.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Thanks for the context. Code VC 27602 refers to video content that is categorized as entertainment or business application. GPS, mapping display, or vehicle information is allowable....I guess track time could be questionable.

I think it really depends on the content that is displayed.
We have this bit of the code:

(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when
installed in a vehicle:
(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.
...etc,etc,etc,

The problem becomes enforcement. Since the device in question connects to an unlocked, non-purpose based device, it can come down to the officer doing the stop to make the call. The main downfall of this product's potential legality standpoint, at least in California, is that it has functions to hook up to a non-regulated device aka cell phones and bluetooth devices while vehicle HUDs are generally locked out by design and require the end user to hack the HUD to get extra functionality out of it but keeps the manufacturer out of legal hot water. Your second issue with the connection with the cell phone is the music browser and video camera interface. Once you get functions outside the big 4 (the fourth being displays that show exterior areas of the vehicle to allow easier maneuvering,) it's easy to spin to being illegal. What they need to do is to remove the cell phone and media functions from it and keep it a purely informational system. The moment the entertainment and out of the box connectivity to non-regulated sources comes in, it's legality starts to become sketchy and you know there's a politician with his panties in a bundle just waiting for some "cause" to rally against.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I have HUD in my car. I very much like it.
I can see the benefits of the technology in a helmet.

·
Premium Member
5,471 Posts
I really need my helmet separated from the HUD tech. I don't trust the maker of a HUD to get the helmet right, or to make something that fits my head, or with enough shell sizes so I'm not wearing a large with lots of padding.

When I can get a HUD for my preferred helmet I will consider it seriously.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I really need my helmet separated from the HUD tech. I don't trust the maker of a HUD to get the helmet right, or to make something that fits my head, or with enough shell sizes so I'm not wearing a large with lots of padding.

When I can get a HUD for my preferred helmet I will consider it seriously.
This one does just that... It's just the HUD that attaches to your helmet. Very interesting, but I think I'd rather wait until they're at market with it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.