Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, I am in the process of graduating the police academy and plan on getting my first bike upon graduation in mid-June. My lifted Jeep Wrangler has butchered my wallet, and am looking for a bike to keep my wallet out of trouble. I have been obsessively reading and watching starter bike suggestion videos and comparison threads and feel as if I should just ask you all.

I have very very limited riding experience, when I was 14 I had a lil honda 50 dirt bike but that's it. However racing or canyon riding is not my thing, and would primarily be using it around town and expressway use. I frequently take 65 mile trips and would like to hold a comfortable 75mph on the expressway.I realize how dangerous it could turn out with bad choices or inexperience, which is why I plan on playing it safe. Now for the question. Should I start out with a 300 or a 650?

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
839 Posts
First and foremost, welcome to the forum. :)
& the bike world.

I would say that the 300 is a PERFECT starter bike, really it's a perfect bike in generl. Not just for starters. The top speed far exceeds what someone would ever have to practically use and it is all around a nice bike and bang for the buck!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Welcome!

You will find many on the forum reporting that the bike can comfortably pull to 70ish Mph without issue

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went to a couple shops and they both pretty much said get a 650 because I'd probably be blown around the expressway with the wind and I'd get bored of the 300 relatively fast

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to a couple shops and they both said I should get a 650 for two main reasons.1. I'd get bored of the 300's power
2. I'd get blown around on the expressway winds

·
Registered
805 Posts
The 650 has more power but if you're only looking to do speeds of about 75 the 300 is fine(I tend to be doing 85 when conditions allow) as far as winds it all depends on how windy it gets I went riding In 15mph winds and I was blown around like crazy It felt as if the bike was gonna slip out from underneath me typical winds here are around 8-10 and I'm fine

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
I went to a couple shops and they both said I should get a 650 for two main reasons.1. I'd get bored of the 300's power
2. I'd get blown around on the expressway winds
They obviously have not ridden the 300. :p

But they didnt tell you the third reason.......they want more money from you. Smaller bikes are generally cheaper, but you can find examples of older large displacement bikes for around the same price as a new Ninja 300.

That being said, I would take the brand new bike over someone elses flogged one anyday.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I figured so, the power snub didn't bother me but if it is true that highway driving ill be getting pushed all over the place or be uncomfortable I need to know

·
Registered
121 Posts
Having owned all brand of bikes from 650's (my starter) all the way up to 1100's in both sport bikes and cruiser's over a 20 year period.* I can honestly say in my option my 300 is the best all around bike I've ever owned. Its fun to ride has a good power plant, with a great power band and its easy to handle.* I also think it mixes some of the best qualities of both riding styles. As far as the power. Do I miss the neck snapping, wheel lifting, tail dragging launch power of the bigger bikes .....Nope the 300 has more then enough power to satisfy my adrenaline needs and the front tire stays on the ground an added bonus. Do I miss the 180 + top speeds some of my bikes could reach. Nope been there done that and thankfully I have out grown that. I have no desire to be a hi speed flying projectile anymore.
* I ride on the 495 , Sunrise Hwy and all the scenic side road on the Island not on the track so there is no need for the top speed. The 300 has more then enough speed to handle these roads and interstates.
As far as the "wind" factor most of our roads are now buffered by walls, tree lines and building, this for the most part this cuts down on our cross winds which is really not a big problem here. Yes we will have a few days a year mother nature will get windy and try to toss you around but you'll probably be dealing with more "Head Wind" issues from larger passing vehicles then Cross winds. You'll handle these winds just like you would on any other size bike. By knowing your bike and practicing good lane choice/postion, riding technique, speed management and common sense.
Can you benefit from the extra weight of a bigger bike... yea some times. Remember the bike and riders profile have a big effect on wind shear so more power = bigger frame, bigger frame stretches your body out more which in creases your profile so bigger isn't always better.
I mentioned handling earlier the bigger sport bikes are taller have a higher center of gravity which can make low idle speed handling a challenge. The cruiser is lower and has a low center of gravity and the best handling at low idle speeds. The 300 falls between both styles in height which makes for good balance between handling and speed.
Now lets look at riding postion the bigger sport bikes you ride for the most part in the tucked position which can cut down on your ability to scan for trouble ahead on a crowded road. Riding 65 + miles a day will take sometime to get used to. Cruisers you ride in the cafe' postion and fight the wind with your chest or do the forward lean which crowds your elbows and hampers your steering ability. The 300 has a standard riding postion with the ability to ride tucked when needed. Best of both worlds!
Now as far as out growing or getting bored with 300cc's. Yea it could happen but that's all up to you not your sales person. They told me the same thing having known what I have owned prior. I will never get rid of or bored of my 300. This will be the bike I'll be starting my collection with should I decide to buy another bike.
As others said in earlier in the post more CC's = more money all around. More money for the dealer, parts, insurance and fuel. They also don't hold there resale/market value as well as the the lower CC "Starter" bikes which is what the 300 is considered but in my opinion is Definitely Not.
So in wrapping up I say the 300 is a great choice.
Another option is you can also get your motorcycle license thru one of the safety courses (if you don't have one already) and go rent a bike for a week at quite a few dealers just to check it out and get a feel for it.
Just my 2 cents lol

Good Luck and Good Riding

1 - 16 of 16 Posts