Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

Hello To All. 2013 or 2014?

3K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  stiffshifter 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, i just made an account because I want to become part of the motorcycle community. I have never rode on dirt bikes, quads, or anything of that sort. So, driving a motorcycle will be something extremely new to me. I have no friends or family that ride, and am not planning on taking classes (I learn better on my own). I plan on my first bike to be new or in new-ish condition. Yea, yea, "Buy a used bike so your heart doesn't break when you drop it, & YOU WILL." I understand this, but I'm also buying a new bike for other reasons. I am, however, seeking advice on what bike to buy. The 2013 ninja 300 or the 2014 ninja 300. I do understand that there isn't much difference between the two, but I'm not aware of the details. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

#4 ·
There's definitely black with abs in 2013 and 2014.

The issues with the 2013 that I know about are the ECU recall and the brake line issue. Both are really easy for a dealer to fix (for free). Another issue is that the front fairings have a slight gap because they don't stick together completely. There is a thread on this site on how to deal with that problem - I haven't done anything about mine.

Not sure if any of these problems were addressed with the 2014s. I'm sure owners of the 14s can chime in

#6 · (Edited)
I almost purchased a 2013 model but decided against it at the last minute after reading about the ecu recall and fairing gap issue. I haven't had any problems with stalling on my 2014 ABS Model and haven't experienced any fairing gap issues yet.

You may have better peace of mind purchasing the 2nd year production model of the 300. The ecu, fairing gap issue plus the lack of ABS dissuaded me from purchasing the particular 2013 model that caught my interest. I would have saved $500 purchasing a 2013 model but the savings may not have been worthwhile compared to the potential recall issues. It was $6,100 for the 2013 Non-ABS model versus $6,600 OTD for the ABS model. I'd rather have an option on a vehicle within reasonable costs and not need it rather than wishing I had purchased that option after leaving the dealership. (By the way, yes, California prices are significantly higher than the rest of the country. I believe it's due to stricter emissions but you can ride pretty much year round in Northern California.)

Really, I just didn't want to walk out of the dealership knowing a part(s) could potentially defective from the factory. Ultimately, it's your decision and your money.

#7 ·
No problems with a 2013 never had a problem with the edu but it was replaced under the recall. Also I think it's a very bad idea to try to learn without taking the rider course as you can pickup dangerous bad habits that will be hard to break. You will also take longer to progress.

#8 ·
I would get the 2013 as they would be cheaper - I picked up a 2014 as they did not have any 13s available in my case.

You should really reconsider this "am not planning on taking classes (I learn better on my own)"

Especially since you "have no friends or family that ride"

I understand learning better on your own for many things but a little odd for a complete beginner on a bike - do yourself a favor and take the course - they will teach you the basic operations and keep you (and your bike) safe. There will be PLENTY to learn on your own for years after those classes

Good luck with the purchase!

#9 ·
Yea, that "peace in mind" feeling really does feel good lol. And now that you guys mention it, I don't think the dealership I'm looking at carries the 2013 model. I'm really leaning towards the 2014.

And yea.. You're right, I think I should.. Haha. I think Ill take classes a month or so after I get the bike. I atleast want to learn how to shift & take off on my own.

#10 ·
My dealership give me a 2014 for the same price of a 2013 cause it wasn't worth it for them to ship one in..(only one in the area was like 800kms away) so you may want to try that angle. Go around asking for a 2013 and if they don't have one ask if you can get a 2014 for the same price.

Bigjdoberman

#11 · (Edited)
Ebony ABS was not available in the US markets in 2013. So, if that's what you want, then your only option is to get a 2014.

As for taking the basic riding course, I highly recommend that you do. I had never ridden before that and it helped tremendously. And by tremendously, I mean once you leave the course you've learned how to go, turn, stop, and swerve - that's it. But, you will have learned the slow speed skills on a bike that's already been dropped a few hundred times, so if you drop it no one (mostly you) will care. Once you finish the class, you're fully qualified to practice on your own... in a very large, empty parking lot. Also, by taking and passing the course, you'll get a substantial discount on your insurance. That alone makes it worthwhile.

For what it's worth, I bought a brand new bike (a 2013 300) as my first bike and I've never regretted that decision once. I prefer knowing how my bike was broken in, and I like seeing how many miles I've put on it versus a previous owner.

#12 ·
Get yourself a 2014.

MSF is not a simple how to use the throttle. How to balance a bike etc etc.

It teaches you safety, tells you at what point in you ride should you be in the in the middle of the lane, the right side of the lane, or the left side of the lane. Why you should break in a strait line as oppose to breaking with the steering turned.

If you you have now idea what I just said then imagine not knowing how to use all that I mention (and more) in a fast reaction needed to safe yourself.

MSF can potentially save your life. But it's your life so good luck.

#13 ·
All of you guys are right. I guess it's time to look into the course lol. So when taking the course, I don't use my own bike?

& now I feel more confident about getting the 2014 300. I will "try" to get the 2014 for the price of the 2013 but I doubt they'll budge considering how "strict" they are around my area.

Thanks everyone, for helping me decide what to do & buy :)

#14 ·
The beginner rider courses provide you with bikes to learn on - usually 250s and 125s in my area. If you take these courses (usually one night of classroom and 1 and 1/2 day of riding) and pass successfully you get a certificate that will let you skip the road test at the DMV - the course will tell you the policy for your area.

You can take an advanced class with your own bike at a later time

#15 ·
The MSF Basic Riders Course upon passing in California will give you a waiver for the riding portion of the DMV test. All you will have to do after that is your written exam and a sign identification exam and you're done.

You DO NOT want to be caught riding without a license though as the police and judge will throw the book at you. Many people in So Cal ride uninsured and unlicensed and getting the max penalty for it sucks. They've now gotten to the point of pulling over nearly every rider they see just to check that they have a license and insurance.

Also, make sure you have the proper riding gear BEFORE you get the bike. So many people get the bike first, then ride around practically naked for a really long time. You really want that protective gear now hen you're a new rider and much more prone to crashing and losing control of the bike.

#17 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I also recently joined this forum out of the desire to become part of the motorcycle community and learn from other riders. Thanks Limitless for starting this thread because Ive similar situation.
I have never driven a sport bike, quad or cruiser. Although I owned a scooter as a teen, I have only been a passenger on larger bikes etc. Now I'm ready to move into the drivers seat! I plan to join my local MSF class next month to develop skills and learn the rules of the highway for cyclists. I trusting the MSF course will be a great way for me to start out- help build my confidence and comfort with a bike.

Right now I am doing my research to prepare for my first bike purchase. I know I want a gently used Ninja 300 ABS. Just like Limitless I am trying to decide on a 2013 or 2014 300 ABS model.The problem Im having is:

1. Finding a used 2014 ABS model (wishful thinking)

2. Finding a gently used 2013 ABS model that doesn't cost as much as a new one.
I am considering buying a '13 thinking that because it's used and outdated i could save a few bucks. I know choosing a non-ABS would cut costs but I'm pretty solid on getting a bike with that option. Is it safe to assume/hope sellers of 2013 models will start dropping prices when the 2015 bikes come out? How low can I expect them to drop?

Right now in my local and surrounding areas I have found private sellers asking anywhere from 4000-4800 for there used 2013 bikes and Im skeptical for various reasons. One guy asking 4700 said he is the 3rd owner and the bike as 5k miles and never been dropped or involved in accidents. Seems like a lot of owners for that low mileage, i don't know. Is this normal? Im starting to think I should just chalk it up and buy a new from the dealership. Any advice or suggestions?

#18 · (Edited)
Right now in my local and surrounding areas I have found private sellers asking anywhere from 4000-4800 for there used 2013 bikes and Im skeptical for various reasons. One guy asking 4700 said he is the 3rd owner and the bike as 5k miles and never been dropped or involved in accidents. Seems like a lot of owners for that low mileage, i don't know. Is this normal? Im starting to think I should just chalk it up and buy a new from the dealership. Any advice or suggestions?
It sounds normal actually. The previous three owners probably used the 300 as a learning/training bike for a thousand miles or so then sold it. I'm not sure of the prices in your local area but $4,700 doesn't seem like much of a bargain for a bike with 5k miles on it. (It's not a bad deal in California though.) Personally, I'd spend the extra $500 to $1000 OTD to get a new one.

#20 ·
By it. Ride it. Then go to some sort of course if you feel you need it. The more you ride the more comfortable you feel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.