Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am stoked!!! I am new to this site. People calling me crazy but I just sold my 2010 Harley Street Bob and I am picking up my Ninja 300 SE tomorrow! I had a 2006 Ninja 250 and had a deer take me out and totalled the bike back in 2006. Then I went to a '97 CBR600. Loved it but it was old so I sold it and got a big bike (the Street Bob) so that my wife would ride with me. Anyhow, didn't really want the Harley as much as I wanted a 1000cc bike like the R1. After 3 years I decided to go back to a sports bike and something with good gas mileage - so in walks the Ninja 300!

Can't wait to drive away tomorrow from the Kaw'i dealer on my ninja 300!

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Welcome jt! after owning and riding a 600, you will find the 300 not as snappy and the gears go from 1-6 too quickly, but after you get to sixth you will find it has a purpose.... and that purpose is to make you smile!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome, I noticed your from wv as am I. I live in buckhannon wv bout an hour from Morgantown. We should ride sometime brother. Pm me if u want to ride

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a saddle full of fun!

Based on your past motorcycle experience, I am curious to what your opinion of the 300 will be after you have had it for a while.
So, my summary, so far, this should probably go in a couple different threads, but maybe I will split it up later.

Got the bike - It is beautiful! I am 6'1" and 235 lbs. Size 13EEEE shoe. My feet need to get use to the "tighter" area between the clutch pedal and the foot pedal, but it was good enough.

I started the bike and let it warm up for about 2 minutes maybe 4 min.. I left Morgantown Powersports in Morgatown, WV and headed down the hill. Got to the first stoplight and the bike stalled. At first, I was "Aww man. Seriously!?" but that was just for a second. After all it is a new engine with 1 mile on it. So I took off. In the next hour of riding I stopped at stoplights or stop signs probably 30 times. It stalled one other time within the first 15 minutes of my ride. And that was it. It handles wonderfully! Braking power even for my big butt seemed really good and it was far easier to bring to a stop then my Harley Street Bob was.

I haven't pushed the engine yet. I asked the dealer what the break-in driving should be. He said, "Ahhh. For the first 400 miles I should not rev it too high and don't 'redline it' and keep the engine changing don't stay at one rpm or one speed too long." So that is how I drove it. It wasn't until I was sitting down at home that night, after an awesome few hours of riding, that I started to read the manual and the manual said for the first 400 miles don't go above 4000 and then for the next 600 miles don't go above 6000 rpms. I thought, "OH crap. Whoops.".

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's a saddle full of fun (continued)

My daughter was so excited she begged me to take her for a ride. So I did, she is 14 and maybe 100 lbs. The bike did well even with 2UP. I didn't do 2UP for long though, but I figured it would help "stretch" the engine during the break-in.

I am concerned that with my heavier weight that I won't get the good mpg out of it. So far, after 100 miles I am a little below half a tank.

Anyhow, to sum up: It stalled 2 times in the first 15 minutes from the dealer but that was it. I have put 100 miles on it and I am thrilled to be rid of the big Harley Street Bob and to be on such a fun bike as the Ninja 300.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Yea, there is at least 2 discussions on the break in on the forum somewhere. The grief stems from the break in procedure being unchanged for over 10 years, and being the same procedure regardless of engine size. Needless to say, it is very difficult to follow on small, high revving engines. So yea, just go by what the dealer says. Vary the RPMs throughout the Tach range, and avoid highways until at least 3-400 miles. If you want to rev high on a regular basis, the general consensus is to do an early oil and filter change around 300 miles to clean out the metal shavings early.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts