Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Anxious to get back on a bike. It is has been over 15 years since I last rode. The last time I rode, my son was about 6 and I was riding with him on the back of my bike when a car pulled directly in front of us. I managed to avoid dropping the bike or hitting the car. But, failed to avoid the damage it did to my psyche. As much as I loved my son and daughter (she was about 4), I couldn't ride any longer.

So, I sold my bike and ended up buying a convertible instead. It was a poor man's (or scared man's) excuse for a motorcycle and helped me to still get something that resembled the feeling of riding a bike.

Fast forward 15 years... my kids are no longer young. Not that they still don't need their father on occasion. But, I feel less worried about leaving them behind in a worst-case scenario. And, I have wanted to ride all of those 15 years.

So, I was looking at easing back in to it with a smaller bike. I just wanted something to commute with, save a little gas, and cruise around town in. Don't need a cruiser or anything big enough for the highways. When I started looking on the internet, I came across the new 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300. The bike seems like a perfect fit for me with a little added boost over the 250.

Unfortunately, my dealer hadn't gotten any in yet. And, of course, he tried telling me why I would be better off with a 650. I wondered the same. I wondered if I would get bored and want to move up in a year. But, I am glad I found this forum and kawiforums.com. Based on my skillset, length of time not riding, and requirements, I think the 300 will be more than enough bike for me.

So, while I wait for my dealer to get some in, I plan on taking the MSF course and reading all of the great info on this site and kawiforums.com. Look forward to riding again!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Welcome!!! This is definitely an exciting bike. I, too will be taking the MSF course. I also wondered if a 650 was what I should get as well, but I have heard that this new 300 gets you everything you want in the same package. Good gas mileage and good enough power for what I would use it for.

Make yourself at home and welcome to the 300 community!

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
594 Posts
Good on you for getting back on, and taking the MSF class.
I've been street riding for 31 years, mostly on large displacement bikes, but I want a small bike SO bad! :)
Welcome. Enjoy the forum.
You are a lucky guy to have so many awesome roads to ride in CO.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had a 650R and thought about getting another one because I wanted ABS and not the Special Edition 300. It is also a superior bike for highway riding.

I am having more fun on the 300 than I ever did on my 650R.
Good to hear. This forum has more than convinced me that I will get everything I want out of the 300. Thanks Mike!

·
Registered
48 Posts
So glad to hear that you, your son, and your bike did not sustain any damage. I was so worried after I read "my son was about 6 and I was riding with him on the back of my bike when a car pulled directly in front of us". So he should be about 19 now? Same age as me!

Oh, and welcome! Can't go wrong with the 300! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So glad to hear that you, your son, and your bike did not sustain any damage. I was so worried after I read "my son was about 6 and I was riding with him on the back of my bike when a car pulled directly in front of us". So he should be about 19 now? Same age as me!

Oh, and welcome! Can't go wrong with the 300! :D
You're right Leslie, that's really no way to start a story! :eek: Sorry about that. He is actually 23 now and wants one of his own now.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I almost bought a 2012 650R off a friend today for $7,700 (even though I could buy a new one for less...) because he is in a tight spot right now and that's what he owes on the bike. Fortunately he decided to sell his car instead of the bike. I think I am going to drop a tooth or two on the rear sprocket to make highway cruising a little more relaxed...

Other than highway cruising I can't think of a reason I would want anything bigger than this bike. I think it is a little faster now that the engine is broken in (1000 miles so far). Loving it more and more every day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts