Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all! I got my motorcycle licence back in August and finally got my first back this week. Of course its the Ninja 300, and its stardust white. I love it although I've only taken it out once because its been freezing here in NJ and I'm military and I can't take it on base yet. I plan on commuting on it though most of the winter. Does anyone have any recommended accessories? I need to be able to carry stuff so should I just get a backpack or go for some sort of tank or saddle bag? I'm a complete noob, but I'm learning. I love the look of the stock bike but It seems a lot of people want to change the exhaust and get ride of the reflectors in the back. I get the reflector part although I personally like the look of it. Why change the exhaust? For the noise alone or is it really going to improve performance? I look forward to interacting with everyone!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Most people change the exhaust (or slip-on as it's called) for a slight performance gain, a huge improvement in sound (which is subjective of course) and also the cool factor of having whatever brand of exhaust you think is cool. Be safe :D

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I've heard amazing things about the ability of heated gear to keep you warm. Probably useful to you since it's cold there.

For carrying stuff, it depends on how much stuff you need to carry. I can usually get away with just a large backpack, but then you also have to think about how it will last in the rain. I have used a large duffel tailbag before for when I really need to carry more stuff or plan to store my gear in it upon arriving at my destination. Figure out how much you need to carry, then look around at different options at an online store to see what might work for you.

Getting extra bike stuff and modding is really all about what you want. Figure out your needs/wants or just hang around here long enough to learn about cool stuff you never thought you needed but absolutely gotta have :p

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I can see wanting to add some sound to the exhaust, but for 300+ dollars I'd want to see noticeable performance gains. I like the look of the stock exhaust. My main complaint with the startdust is the nakedness of the bike overall. I wish it had some more black or a third color mixed in. I'm knew to riding though, so im sure my opinions will change as I see and a hear another 300 Ninja in person with an upgraded exhaust.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks for the replies and info everyone. I can see wanting to add some sound to the exhaust, but for 300+ dollars I'd want to see noticeable performance gains. I like the look of the stock exhaust. My main complaint with the startdust is the nakedness of the bike overall. I wish it had some more black or a third color mixed in. I'm knew to riding though, so im sure my opinions will change as I see and a hear another 300 Ninja in person with an upgraded exhaust.
Anodized aluminum parts are a nice way to add color. There's always decals or painting too. I actually didn't care much about customization until I starting hanging on bike forums and seeing the cool shit/ideas people have.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Personally I do like the white/black look, but with the white bike i'll probably paint some of the silver stuff white. If you start adding color to a white/black color scheme it would throw off the color scheme it already has white/black/silver, so to break it up i'll eleminate the silver.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Red, get military authorized backpack and gear. I am pretty sure the base rules are the same all over for military. They may also require reflectors, so check all you can from your COC before Modding. I remember on fort Bragg that you could be pulled for having music loud enough that someone 10 feet from your car could hear. It's ridiculous! But be safe bro!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

Edit- as for a backpack, I have an icon one that is military approved and awesome.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Yeah, most of the guys here at Hurlburt wear thier reflective belts around the backpacks and they still have to have a reflective vest to boot. Almost everyone has the mil. spec Icon vests, they sell them at the shopette and the bx.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Red, get military authorized backpack and gear. I am pretty sure the base rules are the same all over for military. They may also require reflectors, so check all you can from your COC before Modding. I remember on fort Bragg that you could be pulled for having music loud enough that someone 10 feet from your car could hear. It's ridiculous! But be safe bro!

Edit- as for a backpack, I have an icon one that is military approved and awesome.
Not the same across the military, it varies by service. For the Marines, we used to have to wear reflective everything, now it's just basic protection, reflective isn't required. We don't even have to wear a jacket anymore, just a long sleeve shirt meets the requirements. For the navy, it depends on what region you're in. Jacksonville requires reflective vests at night, Pensacola has no requirement. It's hard to keep track of all this stuff.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks for the info. I have the spec vest myself, but the backpack i will defiantly check out. Thanks for the heads up on the modding too, I dind't even consider the aspect of it. I love the look of the stock bike so far and with it being my first bike, I am worried about messing with it. Im sure over the course of the year my opinion will change though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, most of the guys here at Hurlburt wear thier reflective belts around the backpacks and they still have to have a reflective vest to boot. Almost everyone has the mil. spec Icon vests, they sell them at the shopette and the bx.
I spent 4 years at Eglin, I wish I was their now, i'd be able to ride a lot more comfortably! I have the mil spec vest myself. I was wondering about the back pack needing reflectorization. I guess I've never paid attention to what riders did for this. I thought about putting a belt around my backpack like they make you do in the al udied. I want to check out the military spec backpack that was mentioned above.

·
Banned
562 Posts
i painted mine black and blue

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
+1 for the Icon mil spec backpack. Good sized bag and serves as a reflective vest so you don't need additional reflective stuff to go on post.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i painted mine black and blue
Yea, I saw you did in another thread. Looks awesome, and I admire the facts you got the guts to try it. I afraid to change anything on my bike, but its my first and its brand new. I would be a lot more open to it with a cheaper used bike. How does the texture match up? What about the color up close? Im curious because the stardust paint job isn't a single color in my eyes. It kind of can have different huge depending on the lighting. I'm curious how a straight color matches up with it up close. I took auto body in 9th grade like 12 or 13 years ago and I was good at painting. I wish I had an old bike to practice doing stuff like that on...

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have the spec vest myself, but the backpack i will defiantly check out. Thanks for the heads up on the modding too, I dind't even consider the aspect of it. I love the look of the stock bike so far and with it being my first bike, I am worried about messing with it. Im sure over the course of the year my opinion will change though.
I have completely done everything I said I wouldn't do.

"I don't want the white bike, I want the SE."
I have the white one.

"I won't put any decals on it or remove the reflectors. I like the way it is stock."
I have decals and removed all reflectors (still have the rear fender on for now).

"I won't paint my windscreen."
It's plastidipped

"I won't go 10 over the speed limit."
I've already gone over 100MPH

"I don't need to race."
Every stoplight is a chance to leave everyone in the dust.

"I'll just use it for commuting to work."
I find myself going everywhere I don't need to go.

"I won't weave through traffic and just play it safe."
If they're not going the speed limit or a few over, i'm going around them. Quickly.

"I will NEVER do a kickstand spin!"
I did it yesterday because it's convenient.

Yeah... telling yourself you won't do things is pretty much saying that you're going to do it and making yourself want it more.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts