Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried to find something over this but did not succeed. I just bought a 2013 and though maybe the bulb was just bad. But when I replaced the bulb it didn't fix it. The left headlight is off when brights are off, but when brights are on the light turns on. Any solutions? Sorry for the noob question

·
Registered
106 Posts
On my 2017 N300, the low beam is the headlight on the left ONLY, the high beam is the headlight on the right ONLY This set-up is useful to me as I split lanes at speed because I use the dip switch to alternate hi-lo beams, effectively "winking" at cars before I slip past them. Alternating lights seems to catch driver's attention quite effectively. My 2018 CBR300r has the same set-up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in Southern Indiana where lane splitting isn't legal, so I can't really relate to that. So is there a simple fix or am I going to have to fix the wiring?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Its that way by design. I believe to prevent you from appearing to be a far away car (with the close proximity of two lights illuminating) instead of a close motorcycle.

With one light on its more obvious you are a motorcycle.

Many other bikes with dual headlights function the same way.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Its that way by design. I believe to prevent you from appearing to be a far away car (with the close proximity of two lights illuminating) instead of a close motorcycle.

With one light on its more obvious you are a motorcycle.

Many other bikes with dual headlights function the same way.

What he said.
Sorry I was unclear in my last post. Thank you JayWuh for completing my thought. All is at it should be... :- )

·
Registered
914 Posts
I really doubt that. Taking perspective into account, it's pretty unlikely to make that confusion (not impossible, of course). The single headlight would much sooner be confused with a vehicle with one headlight out, so there's little to gain. Rather, by all accounts the "one headlight off" is a euro or asian styling choice. I've never met anyone who actually preferred it, but apparently that's the official reason I've seen touted around. And considering that new models like the Ninja 400 no longer have the "cyclops look", it seems like it's finally(!!!) loosing traction. Good riddance.

To the OP, the only way to fix it correctly is with a project retrofit, and that isn't for the faint of heart. Learn to live with it is the best advice anyone can give regarding the OEM headlight. Second best is a halogen bulb upgrade, but that doesn't really fix the one-eyed problem.

·
Registered
137 Posts
NINJA 1000s got rid of the cyclops look on the 2017 model. Maybe it'll eventually trickle down to the 300.

·
Registered
914 Posts
NINJA 1000s got rid of the cyclops look on the 2017 model. Maybe it'll eventually trickle down to the 300.
Effectively, it already did. The Ninja 400 is the Ninja 300's successor (no new N300 on the horizon). The Ninja 400 has dual LED headlights and both sides light up for the lowbeam.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts