Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was putting steel braided lines on my 636 and I noticed a stud on the back of the headlight assembly that looked very familiar to me. Then I started looking a little closer. The rear of the headlight housing looks exactly like the rear of the headlight assembly of my 300. This got me wondering if they were interchangeable. I have a set of projectors intended for the 300, but I never got around to installing them because opening up the housing is very time consuming. However the 636 comes with projector headlights from the factory. So last night I got my 300 and my 636 in the same place and started disassembling.

This is the 300's headlight assembly.
Front:

Back:

This is the 636's headlight assembly.
Front:

Back:

These are the mounting studs that got me thinking about this.

The only modification needed to make this work is to flip this spacer around to the front.

Ninja 300 with ZX-6R headlights.

·
Registered
53 Posts
This is just great.
I had been expecting someone to actually try it out.
Definitely worth it over tinkering trying to disassemble the optics to install a projector kit.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nice

·
Fast Lane Ukraine
1,343 Posts
You're the man Peanut. Subscribing.

That looks like it fits really well! I am thinking great alternative for getting a projector lens vs a retro fit. Nice work!

Anyone know what an assembly would cost?
This.

If I can buy a whole new headlight WITH projectors for $300 as opposed to spending $500+ on a retrofit, that's much more in my liking. Plus it's "OEM".

Can you get some pictures of the output at night, high and low beam?

To take it a step further, would be cool if someone could figure out how to mod the wiring so both lights are on for high beam AND low beam. I pretty much always use high beam...as I live WAYYYY out in the sticks. And during the day time (so people can see me), this is important.

EDIT: I didn't realize this but after studying the pics, the 636 is only a projector on the low beam? High beam is still reflector?

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You're the man Peanut. Subscribing.

This.

If I can buy a whole new headlight WITH projectors for $300 as opposed to spending $500+ on a retrofit, that's much more in my liking. Plus it's "OEM".

Can you get some pictures of the output at night, high and low beam?

To take it a step further, would be cool if someone could figure out how to mod the wiring so both lights are on for high beam AND low beam. I pretty much always use high beam...as I live WAYYYY out in the sticks. And during the day time (so people can see me), this is important.

EDIT: I didn't realize this but after studying the pics, the 636 is only a projector on the low beam? High beam is still reflector?
No, both sides are projectors. There is just a glare on the headlight housing from either the flash or the over head lights.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Peanut thanks for the info this is great ,i added it to the DIY sticky thread of wisdom.
did any wiring need to be changed at all???

also if you still have the original 300 headlight assembly out, can you do me a favour please. can you remove the rubber covers that cover the rear of the bulbs and get a decent photo of the clips that hold the bulb in.

i tried to remove the clips on my 300 a few nights ago to swab bulbs and i can get my fingers on the clips ok, and i can press it in ok, but it wont move up or down so i can release it, if i can see it i can figure it out. i can see it on my bike unless i go nuts and start removing fairing.

thanks

·
Track Whore
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was absolutely no wire modifications needed. The plugs are the same on both motorcycles. They are even color coded the same. Flipping the spacer around that I mentioned was the only thing I needed to do.
I don't have them out of the bikes anymore, but I can still take those pictures for you a little later. I still have some running around to do.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 74 Posts