Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Does anyone know if you put sealant all the way around the head gasket or just on the side where the camshaft chain is? the manual gives a bad description of where to apply it.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
Welcome to the forum @ers2214

I assume you're talking about the valves cover gasket and not the head gasket itself. If so, apply the liquid gasket (sealant) only in the rounded part that gives space to the cams shaft.

As for the rubber gasket itself, I think the manual recommends replacing it. However, I did the valves at 15k miles and found the rubber gasket in very good condition, so it reinstalled it and it gave me no leaks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Do you guys wait longer than 7500 miles for your first valve check? My bike just passed 8,000 and am due a valve check but wondering if the old girl will survive until this winter (prob. around 10,000 miles). I've been fettling with my bike for the last month, I just want to ride it for a bit lol.

·
Super Moderator
696 Posts
The consensus is to do it at longer intervals that the 7.5k miles indicated by the manuals.
I did it at 15k miles but found two valves that needed adjustment. I'll probably not wait until 30k to check again but do it around 25k miles.

Another reality is that many people buy the N300 for around $2k or $3k and are not willing to pay a shop the $400 or $500 that this service costs, so the N300's go many miles without valves checks and it looks like they keep running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts