101 - 118 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #104

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah this is a FB thing not PhotoBucket. Still not accessible. Drop them on imgur.com and post the links

·
Registered
7 Posts
Install races by tapping them in, you can use an appropriately sized object just a hair thinner than the outer diameter of the races, I used a schedule 80 pvc pipe. Be absolutely sure the races are 100% seated with no gap at all between the race and the seats in the head. This is the hardest part, because you can't really swing a hammer very far between the fairings up to the lower race. It took me a while to get it in because It kept getting crooked on me.
How'd you fix the bottom one from getting crooked? Mines an absolute pain in the ass right now.

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
How'd you fix the bottom one from getting crooked? Mines an absolute pain in the ass right now.
I used a short (about 8-12") piece of straight 2x4 and hit it firmly, but not real hard, until it was flush with the steering stem. At that point I believe it was firmly seated but you might tap around it with a punch to be sure...

·
Registered
166 Posts
Were you able to get it in? The race, I mean... :laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
[
Were you able to get it in? The race, I mean...
Haha yep I just got it. Ended up renting a master axle puller set from Advance Auto Parts and bought a driver set for 20 bucks. Got both races in and the lower bearing on the stem. Couldn't get a PVC pipe in the right size so I put the old bearing/racer back on the stem over the new bearing and used that as a guard so I was only making contact with the inside of the new bearing. Worked nicely!! Can't wait to finish this up after lunch!

Attachments

·
Registered
166 Posts
Haha yep I just got it. Ended up renting a master axle puller set from Advance Auto Parts and bought a driver set for 20 bucks. Got both races in and the lower bearing on the stem. Couldn't get a PVC pipe in the right size so I put the old bearing/racer back on the stem over the new bearing and used that as a guard so I was only making contact with the inside of the new bearing. Worked nicely!! Can't wait to finish this up after lunch!
:emot-doh: Man! I totally forgot that is what I did once the race was even with the stem. I'm glad you got it but wish I'd have remembered that for you!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I never bothered changing mine. About 18.5k miles and it's never got worse.

I'll very likely do it at some point though.
Mine wasn't too bad after I snugged the nut but my OCD would not be quieted. I encourage you to do it! Makes the bike fall into the corners... in a good way!

·
Registered
7 Posts
class=inlineimg]http://www.kawasakininja300.com/forum/images/smilies/emot-doh.gif[/IMG] Man! I totally forgot that is what I did once the race was even with the stem. I'm glad you got it but wish I'd have remembered that for you!
No worries!! Once I rented that remover kit it was really easy to do. Went out for a test ride around the neighborhood tonight and HUGE difference!! It feels so smooth but loose, idk if it is loose or if i'm just not used to it. It feels how I imagine having all wheel steering on a car would feel, almost like the back end wants to slip out a bit more or something

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just ordered the bearing from PyramidParts. The packing didn't mention there is bottom/top so I just randomly installed it. Feel doesn't right as seems it's too loose on corners. Is that likely I have installed it upside down?

·
Registered
22 Posts
For anyone attempting this I found this guide to be invaluable.

I did use the old race to help seat the lower stem bearing and it worked great. As for the races I did get an inexpensive race driver set from amazon that worked really well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0797Y7WRB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Replacing my head bearing was a pretty painless process. I did use the not tapered side of the race driver to help get it correctly started after that I flipped it and used the tapered end. Also I have learned you can run a threaded bolt through the race driver and some heavy washers and nuts to simply wrench it into place.

101 - 118 of 118 Posts