Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've just fitted bearings from pyramid and yea it came with seals but they didn't fit correctly and I couldn't put tension on the bearings. The seals seemed to be too big and instead of sitting properly over the bearings, the edge of them would sit on the neck of the frame, which means when I put tension on the nut to seat the bearings, the nut would just compress the seals and not even touch the bearings. The bottom seal in particular would bind up into the bottom of the neck when tension was applied, making the steering feel very stiff but keeping the bearings loose. I disassembled the stem twice before realising this and cutting the bottom seal to make it fit, and removing the top one completely. This fixed the problem. I don't know the long term effects of running no seals but I can't see too much of a problem, especially since stock the bike has no top seal. To answer your question the bottom seal goes under the bearing, between the bottom triple clamp and the bearing, and the top seal goes directly over the top bearing.
Im installing the all balls bearings. I installed both, top and bottom bearing seals, and when i install the stem nut and the upper fork clamps it wont turn all the way! I checked and the races are fully seated, but i think that the upper seal is making the upper clamp sit too high so the notch the upper clams have touches with a "block" that has the frame... so, do i need to remove the upper bearing seal? have you had any problems not running the upper bearing seal?
Ill attach a photo to explain better...

·
Registered
125 Posts
Here is the photo of what i was talking about the previous post, any suggestions? should I remove the top bearing seal?
I tighten the stem bolt to a point where it was too tight to turn by hand the bottom fork clamps and no luck...

I noticed too that with a little tightening of the stem nut the clamps feel like harder to move, could this be the bottom seal rubbing where it seats?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
357 Posts
Here is the photo of what i was talking about the previous post, any suggestions? should I remove the top bearing seal?
I tighten the stem bolt to a point where it was too tight to turn by hand the bottom fork clamps and no luck...

I noticed too that with a little tightening of the stem nut the clamps feel like harder to move, could this be the bottom seal rubbing where it seats?

Any help would be very much appreciated!
Looks like I should read before responding...

·
Registered
125 Posts
im starting to believe that i have accidentally installed the bearings in the reverse order...

stem nut (OEM)
stem cap (OEM)
top bearing seal
bottom bearing
top bearing race

bottom bearing race
top bearing
bottom bearing seal
stem (OEM)

the bottom bearing and bearing racer are bigger diameter but i can tell for sure since one is installed on the stem. the bearing on top has the part number 99-3504. Could someone please confirm if this part number is the top or bottom bearing (bigger/smaller)

Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is your triple tree on all the way? It looks like it needs to be pushed further down. If its only on a little it wont turn to the left past a certain point.

·
Registered
411 Posts
OP, thanks for this post, have it subscribed for reference for when I get to doing it on my bike.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Oh silly me, I do love to let them hang out. I'll have be more careful in the future :p

It's a night and day difference to me, it feels so loose and controllable now compared to before.
Steering wobble hadn't creeped up on me yet, so I figured I'd get the jump on it since this is my daily commuter.
Scrolled back to see balls. Was not disappointed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Im installing the all balls bearings. I installed both, top and bottom bearing seals, and when i install the stem nut and the upper fork clamps it wont turn all the way! I checked and the races are fully seated, but i think that the upper seal is making the upper clamp sit too high so the notch the upper clams have touches with a "block" that has the frame... so, do i need to remove the upper bearing seal? have you had any problems not running the upper bearing seal?
Ill attach a photo to explain better...
I had that problem so I just removed the seals all together. Been running this way for ages with absolutly no issues.

Reactions: rodcar125

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for your replies guys!
After i rechecked everything i confirmed that i had installed the bearings the wrong way. small on the steering stem... :mad: FML :mad:

There was no possible way i could find to remove the bearing from the steering stem without damaging it or the seal so i had to order a new bearing kit. Since I couldn't find it in Mexico i had to order them from amazon and it be at least 2 weeks so right now im stuck with my cage to move around the city. It sucks!

Ill be super careful next time installing bearings. Just for reference, here are the bearings dimensions according to all balls specs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys. I own a 2014 Ninja. Is the steering (bearing) issue also present in the 2014 model, or has Kawasaki fixed it? Does anyone know? I haven't felt anything wrong yet. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Hi guys. I own a 2014 Ninja. Is the steering (bearing) issue also present in the 2014 model, or has Kawasaki fixed it? Does anyone know? I haven't felt anything wrong yet. Thanks.
Yes it will become present in that model too. How many miles do you have?

61 - 80 of 118 Posts