Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's rush hour, just finished riding around and I'm 2 minutes away from home. I'm stopped at a STOP sign because it's a parking lot and waiting for the traffic to start moving. All of a sudden I feel a nudge (Same thing you'd feel if someone bumped into you while walking) I look back and buddy's bumper is on my rear tire. I couldn't move forward as his bumper was dug into my rear tire so I asked him to back up. And the whole time i'm thinking "my new bike is damaged".

I immediately park my bike to look at the damage but there isn't any. Walk over to the driver and say "you nudged me", he mumbles. 10 seconds later I decided everything was cool said it's okay to him. The only real damage was that he bent my license plate so now it tilts to the ground. Which if you ask me looks so much cooler now. So maybe this was fate to make my bike look better.

I didn't know what to do so I took a photo of his plate and van.

Attachments

·
Registered
686 Posts
Idk if its to late but I would file a police report and file a claim. Never know if something you cant see is damaged.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Idk if its to late but I would file a police report and file a claim. Never know if something you cant see is damaged.

If there is no visible damage police won't make a report. My sister's car got nudged by a drunk driver that sped off, cops didn't really do anything. They said call them again if you find any damage.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
This is where you wonder just HOW handicapped this old codger really is? Seems as though his reflexes and depth perception have deteriorated to nearly nothing and he's probably almost legally blind. It could have been a lot worse if it weren't a parking lot and lets say the bottom of an exit ramp at the stop light. Could have killed you doing that one. That bump is a damn good indicator that something just isn't right. This is why I'm all for initiatives against elderly drivers to have them get physicals every year to see if they're still safe to operate a vehicle. After hearing of an old lady plowing through 3 cars at an intersection because she said she couldn't see the stop sign, there comes a time when you need to step back and re-evaluate someone's condition and hopefully we can catch them BEFORE they take someone out. Or I could be wrong. It could have been because she was a woman. Old woman, that's like two strikes against her. If she was Asian she could have been the proverbial driving danger hat trick. :)

*Puts on flame suit and cup.*

·
Registered
307 Posts
This is one of my fears as concerns riding - I've had it happen too many times that I'm coming up to a stoplight and the bigass truck behind me chirps or skids because the driver wasn't fucking paying attention.

One way to combat this issue that I've employed successfully on now four occasions is this: As you approach the stoplight look on either side of the lane for a place you can fit if the asshole behind you is more into the radio or their text messages than they are into y'know... driving...

Then, when you see that they aren't going to stop, scoot into your escape area. The times I've had to do it, I've surprised the shit out of the person in front of me, and been yelled at over it twice, but hey, I'll take it over getting sandwiched between cars, and both times it's come to yelling I've couched it that way to the driver and they've calmed down a little after weighing me suddenly showing up on their left against me and my bike becoming an embedded part of their rear ensemble.

Another step if you can't find an escape route is to *turn the hell around* on your seat and *wave both arms* at the guy behind you. Do it *early*. No guarantees, but so far, so good for me; I'll take the finger over getting crushed any time.

In my experience, this crap happens *exponentially* more often in the winter than it does in the spring and summer; while drivers aren't keeping as much of an eye out for us as they do for other drivers, many of them do have a heightened awareness during the spring and summer, so don't let the fact that the pressure eases off during those times lull you into a dangerous complacence that will bite your ass when the leaves start turning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts