Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
while gooling round the net about new owners perspectives on the new 300, seems a lot seem to say theres lots of metal shavings in the motor when the first drop the oil

has any one removed a magnet from a pc hard drive, and attached it to the oil drain plug of their bike.it should make a lot of the metal stick to the drain plug and make it easy to remove it all when removing the drain bolt as well.works for me on every other bike i have owned

·
Registered
248 Posts
might try using some adhesive on the plug with a Neodymium magnet, think I have a couple somewhere in the garage that would fit nicely,

Def worth a shot

·
Banned
562 Posts
where do u get magnetic drain plug

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
I to say just look for a magnetic drain plug.. Find out our bolt size and pitch and just a universal one..

·
Registered
523 Posts
This will only help with the ferrous (iron, steel) shavings. Any bits of aluminum won't care in the slightest that you put a magnet in the loop.

·
Premium Member
12,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
might try using some adhesive on the plug with a Neodymium magnet, think I have a couple somewhere in the garage that would fit nicely,

Def worth a shot

never needed an adhesive yet. the hard drive magnets i think you can buy and are called "rare earth magnets" i think, they are super strong, no need for any adhesive.i have done hundreds of thousands of kilometres on many bikes with one of them just holding itself to the drain plug of my bikes and only come off when i removed it myself

·
Banned
57 Posts
Metallic presence in the oil of a new engine is completely normal and this is exactly why you want to perform at least 3 oil changes within the first 1000kms or 600miles for you yanks.
And using a magnetic sump bolt will not do much with any metal that is in the oil of a new engine as it will be pretty much all non ferrous (Alluminium, lead, Copper, Bronze) from the big and little end bearings and obviously other parts, the ferrous material which is a lot harder the non ferrous will take a lot longer to grind away and stick on to the magnet, magnetic sump plugs are a good investment as it will show you sometimes if there as been a failure somewhere but you will mainly get metal particles sticking to it when the engine is getting rather tired

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Well if you do the hard break in, more than one oil change within the first 1000 KM is recommended. If you go by factory, just do the one at 1000 KM. The 1000 KM is still earlier than your second factory spec oil change to account for the expected metal shavings. That is what the oil filter is for after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts