Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there is probably a million threads on this already. but i just wanted to rehash that if you put any of the first 500 miles on your bike i highly encourage the hard break in. Bottom line, Ive done my research and you should to.

You only have a kawis warrently for a year, use it!!! Dont jeopardize the life of your bike by following the owners manual written by the people who only want you to find out you got a lemon on day 366 (no offense kawi! i <3 you)

·
Registered
419 Posts
I know there is probably a million threads on this already. but i just wanted to rehash that if you put any of the first 500 miles on your bike i highly encourage the hard break in. Bottom line, Ive done my research and you should to.

You only have a kawis warrently for a year, use it!!! Dont jeopardize the life of your bike by following the owners manual written by the people who only want you to find out you got a lemon on day 366 (no offense kawi! i <3 you)
If you are going to resurrect a century old disputed topic at least post some links to the "research that you've done" that has convinced you that harder is better. I couldn't care less how people break in there engines but it is only an interesting topic if you post up the evidence you found to base your decision on.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe i should have posted it in the newbie section, or apparently not at all... After reading a few posts about not taking her over 6k because "im breaking it in"{ I felt compelled to share a piece of advice to someone who might be the fence about it. This is your evidence, just some random "{forum guy"{ opinion who you might listen to or you might not.

Just sayin, I would have appreciated it 2 months ago when i debated it.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Also just a random guy telling you to ride it in to a lake and get a new one in a year right be for the warranty is up. trust me you cant put any thing on the internet in less its true guys

·
Registered
53 Posts
Use the noodle...

I picked up my new Ninja Thursday (today is Sunday). I have 140 miles on it already, and this much I've learned:

For the first 500 miles per the manual I'm to limit it to 4000 RPM. That I cannot do, since that essentially limits the top speed of the bike to 35 miles per hour, or thereabout.

The dealer told me 6000 RPM, and start and warm up the engine before riding. This I try to follow. I warm it up, but I run to 6000 RPM if traffic and conditions allow. However, that said, 6000 RPM is about 45 miles per hour in sixth gear, and that's just silly if you're in traffic.

So I'm riding to the speed I need to ride to. If 65 MPH on the highway (not interstate but state highways, for short distances), and it pulls 7500 RPM, so be it. I'm unwilling to become a danger on the road, and any engine that can redline at 14,000 RPM can handle 7500 RPM for a relatively short duration during break in.

I've even shifted once at 8000 RPM. Shh. :)

But I try to shift smoothly, and not constantly at 8000 RPM. :) The goal here isn't to beat it to death to prove you can beat it. The goal is to generate a good wear pattern in your moving parts. It's more critical to vary the engine speed over the break-in period. You want good general wear, not the single wear pattern a constant speed would produce.

But beating this new bike is just wrong. It's not a top fuel dragster (one run per engine). Allow the wear pattern to form, and if traffic and conditions merit harder shifting, then they do. But in general ride it but don't beat it, in my opinion.

I rebuild Corvettes for fun, so I know something about high-perf rebuilds. I'm just some dude on the Internet, but you'll be happier driving normally and breaking it in normally than by working it hard and developing poor wear patterns as a result IMHO. If there is a warranty issue, you'll find it long before the year is out, even if you break it in as per instructions (or a reasonable interpretation of those instructions).

·
Registered
80 Posts
I will treat my bike the same way I treat my car,...no matter what! I don't abuse my car,..I'm sure as hell not going to abuse my bike,either! Break it in according to the owner manual,..that's what I'm going to do!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ride it like you stole it >:)

Reactions: xorbe

·
Premium Member
1,015 Posts
Once I seat the rings I don't worry about the RPMs. Now I don't mean that once I seat the rings I hold it at 13K for an hour. Seat the rings and operate the bike like you would normally operate it. Vary your speed and forget it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you are going to resurrect a century old disputed topic at least post some links to the "research that you've done" that has convinced you that harder is better. I couldn't care less how people break in there engines but it is only an interesting topic if you post up the evidence you found to base your decision on.

Yeah,...I'd like to see the "links" to that "research" he has done along with the "evidence" to base his decision on regarding "hard break ins"! Otherwise,I don't believe a word of it,...not one! Abuse of that kind will end ANY vehicle's life early IMO! He's not doing a "hard break in",..he's abusing that bike already,and it's life will end early! Again,...just my opinion!:|

·
Registered
383 Posts
[SARCASM] But don't you know, that's how research works. One person does it and makes a blanket statement without providing supporting evidence and credible references and you are to take it as fact! [/SARCASM]
Take it from someone working in a science/technology field, stating you did research and actually citing credible sources are two very very different things.
It surprises me how anyone who makes the claim that a hard break in is beneficial either cites exactly zero sources, or references the one 'Motoman' page, which itself has questionable content and no sources. To be fair, my argument for a 'book break-in' is really only supported by the manufacturers instructions, but that is a published source from an industry professional with a vested interest in making sure you get the best experience possible from their product. At least slightly more credible than an anonymous internet webpage.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i will be getting my bike back from the dealer with a rebuilt engine, and i need to research. i only know what i know for cars:

on a new/rebuilt engine, i do 3 oil and filter changes on the 1st day.
a) use lucas non-detergent SAE30 oil on initial startup. let idle and bring up to operating temps. drain oil/remove filter.
b) install new filter, install lucas again, and drive for 20mins or so while getting on/off the engine. drain oil/remove filter again.
c) install new filter and Amsoil break-in oil. Use this for 500 miles, drain oil/remove filter.
d) install another filter and oil of my choice(rotella t6)

This is what i found on bikes http://mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts