Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went down this evening for the first time ever in thousands of ridden miles :(

sadly i was on a 180* highway off ramp, it was a tight turn. with a recommended speed of 15mph.. i was going 10 to 15mph in first gear. i don't know how i didn't even see it coming, it just didn't stand out at all. i hit a pothole mid turn, the back tire actually lost grip and slid clockwise totally threw me off balance and i tried to counter and it caught traction and i high sided over the bike.. it was a nasty low speed crash. my jaw and left wrist hit the ground first then the bike landed on top of me. i have split open lip, and messed up shins on both legs from my rear sets stabbing me. my buddy was quick on it to help me out. and a few cars stopped right away. very helpful people checking on me to make sure i was ok. one guy said i should try to sue the city to repair the bike because there have been many complaints about that pothole but they never fix it. what do you guys think about that? i work next to a law office i could always see what they think.

as for me i am a bit beat up and bruised and a hurt ego and a little shock..

as for the bike, the only noticeable damage is that left rear set is shot, the right one is slightly bent, must have caught my leg on it, and some scratches on the kickstand, left fairing, mirror, clutch lever, and my left clip on is slightly bent.. really everything is minor cosmetic damage other than the left rear set, its bent all the way back and i am a bit worried.because it bent the mounting holes back as well, so hopefully that's repairable

·
Registered
65 Posts
What gear were you wearing?

Is there anything you could have done to avoid it? Just want to learn so this does not happen to any of the new riders.

Feel better.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Oh wow, well It's good to hear that you walked away! And yeah, Washington has some pretty shitty roads the other day I almost took a slide because I hit a bump mid corner D: Well I think you should try and let the City know, who knows, you might get lucky? As for the bike, if it's really bad the insurance could take care of it. If not oh well, at least you're okay and it'll give you something to keep you busy. Just when I was planning to ask you to see if you wanted to hit up Cascade Higway for a group ride too D: Anyways, you should post some pics of the damage!

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
went down this evening for the first time ever in thousands of ridden miles :(

sadly i was on a 180* highway off ramp, it was a tight turn. with a recommended speed of 15mph.. i was going 10 to 15mph in first gear. i don't know how i didn't even see it coming, it just didn't stand out at all. i hit a pothole mid turn, the back tire actually lost grip and slid clockwise totally threw me off balance and i tried to counter and it caught traction and i high sided over the bike.. it was a nasty low speed crash. my jaw and left wrist hit the ground first then the bike landed on top of me. i have split open lip, and messed up shins on both legs from my rear sets stabbing me. my buddy was quick on it to help me out. and a few cars stopped right away. very helpful people checking on me to make sure i was ok. one guy said i should try to sue the city to repair the bike because there have been many complaints about that pothole but they never fix it. what do you guys think about that? i work next to a law office i could always see what they think.

as for me i am a bit beat up and bruised and a hurt ego and a little shock..

as for the bike, the only noticeable damage is that left rear set is shot, the right one is slightly bent, must have caught my leg on it, and some scratches on the kickstand, left fairing, mirror, clutch lever, and my left clip on is slightly bent.. really everything is minor cosmetic damage other than the left rear set, its bent all the way back and i am a bit worried.because it bent the mounting holes back as well, so hopefully that's repairable
We had a big nasty pot hole in town that they never fix then one day a guy on a bike hit it and crashed. Not 3h later they had it fixed.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Glad to see you alive. Yes, if you can prove that the city was negligent in not repairing the pothole, you could recoup your costs. Which really isn't hard because it takes a while to form a good sized pothole and they have DOT workers who's only job is to drive on the freeways and ramps to ensure the road conditions. I would at least get a consultation from the law officer next door and see what they say. Also try and get in contact with the transportation department in the city it happened at and report it. They may even have a compensation system that just requires you to submit paperwork. I lost a nice chunk of my front bumper going down HWY 18 in my car going around a blind turn and hitting a huge pothole. City of San Bernardino transportation department just told me to file the report and submit a claim. Took 3 months but got a check to cover the costs of repair. That pothole was filled by the next morning.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Oh man that's just bad luck. Hope you're doing alright.

I too want to know what gear you were wearing. Did you get the "split open lip" through full face helmet?

Did you have shin-guards on your pants? Were they leather pants?

I wear full face helmet and track pants with knee and shin guards *everywhere*. It would be disappointing if that's not even sufficient.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
you know what they say there are those who have crashed and those who just haven't crashed yet..

i was wearing my normal gear, full face helmet, jacket gloves, boot and jeans, i didn't slide at all, the helmet took 100% of the fall, and straight to the chin guard, held up great, didn't crack at all, was a cycle gear special "seven zero seven"

not sure there was anything i could of done once the back kicked out , if it would of kept sliding, would of most likely low slided, which maybe could of been better or worse..

i got pics of everything, just don't want to post from the phone. the pot hole is more of a sink hole, like a 1" diameter hole that keeps getting filled in with concrete.. so it was like a 5"+ drop but there where no actuall edges on the pothole, which is why it was harder to see.

should be fixed in no time though, as long i can straighten out the rear set mounts, for sure just need rearsets and a left clip on bar.

fixing it myself would be cheaper than my 1000 deductible or so i would think, need to sirens sinew time making a parts list.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
worst part about everything was the phone call to the wife saying i crashed bring the truck and ramps.. thought she was going to have a heart attack, she went from freaking out scared to angry to crying all in about 15 second..

·
Registered
993 Posts
Sux...but good to see you made it out ok. You are right on the slide tho, could have been worse, nice try on the recovery, but in a turn its almost impossible.
I would still go with a call to the city and at least complain about the safety issue and how it almost "killed me"! and asked what will they do to fix the damage they caused? Wouldn't hurt and maybe they have a process that you could actually recoup your losses.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Oh man, sorry to heat the cbzdel. Glad it wasn't a crash at a higher speed, but it sounds like that highside really threw you. Pot holes are nasty and I'll be paying special attention to them in the coming months until the majority are filled in.

Thanks for sharing the details, and I wish you a quick recovery.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Sorry to hear about this bro but as long as youre ok thats wat matters the bike can be fixed youll be back riding in no time

·
Registered
4,130 Posts
Its so hard not to mess with you CB :) good luck with getting it fix.
Shit that is real poor luck, sorry to hear but glad you are not banged up too bad. High sides can have real nasty results.

I had something similar happen to me about 8 years ago, although nothing to do with a bike or crashing, more to do with suing the council.

We just had our local council put in speed bumps/humps whatever you want to call them, to try and stop people speeding down this particular street. And it did. The problem with that was the speed humps that they put in were trapezoid in shape (if ya dont know what that is, google people.) and were actually around only 5mm lower than what the law stated how low your vehicle can be. Those bloody steel plate humps that they dynabolt to the road/concrete.

Normally they measure from the sill of your car to the road, and you have to be above a certain height to be legal. An old trick that we have used here in Oz for a long time has been that if you cant fit a coke can under, it is too low.

Now I had just taken my car over the inspection around 2 weeks earlier, as I had done an engine swap which required it to be inspected fully and engineered as the motor was larger than what came from factory. This passed, as everything was in order including the height of the vehicle with the extra weight up front.

Now I knew these speed bumps were pretty high so generally tried to avoid them (hard as they were on my mum's street!). Used to have to try and crabwalk it a bit over it. Third time over, ripped my entire brand new custom exhaust straight off my car, actually sheared the bolts off at the header/collector flange underneath. Not to mention the mess it made of the rest of the exhaust system.

I proceeded to sue the council as I took photos of the hump with measuring devices beside to show the real height at street level to show it was way too high, and a car even at legal height would still have under car components that sit lower than the sill, therefore creating a danger of damage.

I won this without ever having to go to court, they had to pay to have my car restored back to previous condition with my choice of repairer. And I thank the lawyer I retained for that.

Get a law firm to take a look at what you have mate, you may not have to do a thing.

And two days later, no more speed humps.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Good to see ya taking it in stride and coming out of it "fairly" unscathed. A quick recovery to you and your mount!

High sides have a nasty way of whipping your body like a rag doll.

Speedy recovery brother...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts