Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My coolant overflow tank was making a gurgling sound. I was playing with my headlights while letting the bike idle (it ran for a good bit of time). I heard this sound that I can only describe as a gurgle. It seemed to be coming from my coolant reserve tank.

I had just changed coolant. The radiator was not hot to the touch, but the hose between the radiator cap and the reserve tank and the radiator hoses were hot to the touch (but not super hot where I couldn't hold onto them).

I'm assuming that the engine got hot from idling and this was air that was mixed with the new coolant escaping. Is it anything to worry about?

This is what I used. It says 268F boiling point.

http://www.amazon.com/Genuine-Honda-Parts-OL999-9011-Coolant/dp/B0089LSFJ0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1384147763&sr=8-1&keywords=honda+type+2+coolant

Thx,

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
The gurgling sound could be pockets of air circulating through the radiator and back into the reservoir. Keep an eye(and ear on it,) and see if it goes away. Also, please do not idle your bike for long periods of time if you can help it. The radiator still requires a steady amount of airflow through it to help dump heat and leaving it sitting and idling is a sure way to overheat the bike. Also, try not to make it a habit of grabbing radiator hoses and hopefully don't remove the cap. Accidentally pull one of those off and you're getting scalding hot fluid all over the place and from what I've heard, 3rd degree liquid burns do not seem like a fun time.

·
Premium Member
12,370 Posts
after you replaced the coolant did you squeeze the hoses in you hands to help eliminate the air from the system? if you didnt, might be a wise idea too or you might get an air pocket

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
after you replaced the coolant did you squeeze the hoses in you hands to help eliminate the air from the system? if you didnt, might be a wise idea too or you might get an air pocket
I squeezed the hoses. I poured slowly in a little at a time, then I would hear bubbling sounds like air escaping through the radiator cap. Then I would stop pouring until those noises stopped, then I'd shake the bike a bit to try to get any more air out. Then I squeezed the hoses.

It's got to be air, though, I don't know what else it could be.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Keep an eye on the coolant level in the overflow tank. If it's going down then it was probably air getting purged.

It wouldn't hurt to glance at the level at the radiator cap as well when the bike is cold.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same dilemma. Just a lot of gurgling. 2015 Ninja EX300
P.S. I'm not the guy who changed his headlights because he thought one was out.. I swear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts