Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was asked to go on a group ride with some people. Of all the years of riding, I've never been on a group ride. Anything special I need to know? I assume we will designate a lead and rear rider before we start out, but don't know anything about riding with others. Any suggestions from all of you group riders would be most appreciated. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ride your own ride and don't get sucked into the stupidity other riders might bring to the group. I did a group ride last year through Atlanta and after watching the way some of the other guys were riding down the Connector I can see why cagers hate us and why so many riders seem to end up as stains on the road. I'll be sticking to small groups (3-4 riders) of people I know for the time being.

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Stagger and leave plenty of room between you and anyone else. Ride at your pace, or slower as the group dictates, never faster than you are comfortable. Watch the road, and don't follow blindly, see my first two points. You need a good view of the road (staggered give you good line of sight) and enough room to react to that and the rider in front of you screwing up. :eek:

I've seen guys follow each other right into a crash.

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Best thing to do is bust a wheelie right from the start. You wanna establish dominance of the group. From there you need to keep the other riders at check. If they try to out do you, hit them with a chain and kick them off their bike. Go play road rash and execute just like that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
390 Posts
best thing to do is bust a wheelie right from the start. You wanna establish dominance of the group. From there you need to keep the other riders at check. If they try to out do you, hit them with a chain and kick them off their bike. Go play road rash and execute just like that.
I laughed out loud. Road Rash was awesome.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Best thing to do is bust a wheelie right from the start. You wanna establish dominance of the group. From there you need to keep the other riders at check. If they try to out do you, hit them with a chain and kick them off their bike. Go play road rash and execute just like that.

Haha Road Rash was sooo awesome!!! I'll make sure I take a bat with me too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
They need to make a new road rash game except use the same soundtrack. Current music isn't up to it yo

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App

Reactions: DarkNinja52

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
Group rides are a lot of fun, just watch out for idiots in the group. You can find a lot of group-ride videos gone wrong on YouTube where some people stunt, crash, and involve other innocent members of the group in said accident.

I personally find group rides 100x more fun than just solo rides, the larger the group, the more fun .. as long as it's got some form of organization.

I usually lead on all my group rides, and will usually keep the group slow if we get stragglers.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Ride at 20% below you maximum skill level if this is a fast pace group. You will know if you are not riding up to the group's level if you get to a turn and no one is there showing which way to go :eek:

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
They need to make a new road rash game except use the same soundtrack. Current music isn't up to it yo

Sent from my LG-P999 using Motorcycle.com Free App
I had one of them on the computer and played road rash 3D on the psx. I really miss those games! Think imma download one of em on the computer.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Went on a poker run today, ended up in a group of four. It was a cold ride, but was fun due to the fact we had 3 experianced riders in the group. We rode staggered and kept at or just 5mph above speed limits, and didn't outride the lowest skilled rider, he by the way had a blast!
If you get in a group and they are acting "road kingish" or acting plan stupid, just leave the group and mention it to others whom you think or hear saying they don't like the particular attitude of the group.
Its what we did today, some of the riders consider themselves hard core bikers...lol... yeah doing a charity run and your a 1%'r sure, I believe you. But we had a blast in our little group and enjoyed the ride, we left the "core group" in the dust and had a memerable trip.
Even planned the next charity ride in a month, i'd go as far as saying I might have met a couple new friends, and I don't pick too many.
Ride staggered and at your own pace, if you are slower, the group lead will slow down (if he's a good leader), if he doesn't don't worry, there will be others who like to keep it at a slower pace. If you want to go fast (and are skilled enough), find a faster group and have a "blast" LOL.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
Setup staggered as said before. At LEAST 2 seconds to the guy in front of you and 1 at least 1 second to the guy on your side. The most experienced guy should be in the rear to ensure everyone is alright and the most MATURE guy in front to ensure proper timing and pacing. When you reach some twisties (if you have them on your route,) transition into a single file line and increase your spacing. You should be dividing into smaller groups and have a designated meet up point to take a break/reform and continue on your ride again. There should be absolutely no trick riding or show boating in your group. Anyone who does such, needs to be warned and eventually removed from the group if they don't want to listen. It just takes one jackass to wipe out the entire group.

Here is an awesome link with a bunch of tips (with pictures too) on group riding. Read them all and you should be fine.

http://www.msgroup.org/Articles.aspx?Cat=11

Have a good ride and stay safe. Most of all plan carefully.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Take time to get to know a few of the riders before you all start. Make sure to get in with the more mature riders. When you all line up get staggered in with the mature riders. USE HAND SIGNALS! I can't stress that enough.

Tight fist in the air when coming to a stop
Pat the dog on the head when there's a speed reduction
Point at the ground when there's debris in the road
Pat the top of your lid when there's a speed trap or other LEO
Use blinkers and hand signals when doing lane changes or switching positions in the formation
Wave the hot dogs on to go around you when they want to be idiots (don't speed up or slow down to get out of there way)

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take time to get to know a few of the riders before you all start. Make sure to get in with the more mature riders. When you all line up get staggered in with the mature riders. USE HAND SIGNALS! I can't stress that enough.

Tight fist in the air when coming to a stop
Pat the dog on the head when there's a speed reduction
Point at the ground when there's debris in the road
Pat the top of your lid when there's a speed trap or other LEO
Use blinkers and hand signals when doing lane changes or switching positions in the formation
Wave the hot dogs on to go around you when they want to be idiots (don't speed up or slow down to get out of there way)
Thanks, This is more like what I was talking about. The hand signals and whatnot. The group is an older group. At 35 I'm the youngest by a good 15 years. I thought there were hand signals, but I didn't want to be doing it and then find out that's not what ya do. It's a weird feeling knowing I'll be riding with others. Sounds like it will be fun though. :)

Thanks everyone for the info and "Road Rash" regurgitation :p

·
I ♥ Borat In A Thong
981 Posts
Thanks, This is more like what I was talking about. The hand signals and whatnot. The group is an older group. At 35 I'm the youngest by a good 15 years. I thought there were hand signals, but I didn't want to be doing it and then find out that's not what ya do. It's a weird feeling knowing I'll be riding with others. Sounds like it will be fun though. :)

Thanks everyone for the info and "Road Rash" regurgitation :p

I would discuss these things prior to riding with your group so everyone is on the same page. If some of these people have been riding together a while, they may have come up with their own signals or some signals listed already may have a different meaning to this group. Clear all that info up before going out!

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts