Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding home late at night on the highway. My exit came up and I could see that the light had just turned green at the top of the ramp. So I did what I've done countless times in my car and took the ramp at a good pace and planned to brake only when I got relatively close to the turn so I wouldn't miss the green.

All went well until I got through about a quarter of my braking zone. Suddenly the front end started to slide over what felt like assorted stones and smaller pebbles, and it started wobbling all over.

Luckily I was braking in a completely straight line, and immediately let off the brakes a bit. Recovered from the wobble, braked a bit deeper into the turn than initially planned, and completed the turn without issue.

Only result was a shot of the bad kind of adrenaline, and a serious reminder that I can't take the same aggressive approach to turns as I would in my car. Especially at night. You never know when you will run into a patch of gravel or oil slick. Ride safe!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Yeah; harder to see shit on the road at night (or animals that may jump out).

I was riding down a stretch of road yesterday that for some odd reason, *always* has gravel at a ~45 degree (hard -- i.e. you're going straight, and then you're going 45 degrees to the left of straight) turn. looked down, and saw more gravel than usual, but i had already slowed down because i was expecting it. went around with almost no lean, but both wheels slid to the right an inch or so. As I rode off, I thought, "fuck, that would have sucked at speed". It basically just "picked" my bike up and moved it over.

·
Super Moderator
2,622 Posts
Good save on your part. I always take extra caution when riding at night, especially on on/off ramps with a traffic light. They're a great place for debris and oil to collect from cars.

Be safe out there!

·
Premium Member
400 Posts
Yes it is, lol. I was riding in to work last Saturday on the highway. There was a sign for a closed lane due to construction so I got over. I got over once more to let the speeders have the lane. They had just paved the far left lanes and all the little pieces that break off were littering the other lanes it looked like a gravel pit. So here I am at 65mph and I can't get over due to the 4inch lip on the new lanes. I just loosened up said a prayer and rode through it, lol. Still pissed they didn't clean that up or at least put a sign.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts