Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the Gorilla Cycle Alarm 8017 and I'm not sure where to place it on my bike. If anyone else has installed this on their bikes and can suggest a good spot that would be great. I would prefer that it was in a spot that wouldn't be really easy for someone to get to (like not in the space under the passenger seat). Thanks!

·
Registered
121 Posts
The size of the all in one siren/brain design of this alarm makes location a challenge. How ever there plenty room under the plastics to the left and right of the fuel tank. The left side (sitting on the bike) has the bikes wire loom and stays. This will help to route and conceal the alarm wires to the battery it also provides a mounting location for the siren. The right side is mostly cooling,fuel and engine control hoses so the wires would stand out. Either way you'll have to remove the plastics to do the install.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sorry, mine is installed under the passenger seat. It fit's nicely and is not visible unless you are really looking back there for it (its tucked in the storage bin more toward the main rider's seat). I also did not run/mount the blinking red led so the alarm is very inconspicuous until it goes off. How is that easy to get into? It has a lock and some beefy plastic tabs to hold it in place. Hell, it's designed to stay in place with a person on it at speed. If someone wanted to rip it off to get to the alarm they could just as easily rip your fairings off to get to it under there :/

·
Registered
295 Posts
I installed an R-Link alarm on my 300 and that was really challenging because the base unit needed to be about 8" away from the motion sensor (which needed to be placed somewhere under the seat and have an unobstructed by metal access to the area above it), and the RFID antenna & GPS antenna needed to have a clear line of sight unobstructed by any metal objects or the battery. I'm not 100% happy about the placement but it should be good enough to buy enough time for the bike to be tracked and recovered.

So I took a look at the Gorilla alarm you picked up and based on the design of that alarm being kind of an all in one unit, I would probably place it of the plastics under the front headlight area (you could put it in the left or right fairing too).

There might also be enough room in the plastic area at the bottom of the rear of the motorcycle (under the drivers seat) but when I was doing my install it looked like that area would be exposed to more elements like water spray so I personally wouldn't put it there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably put it in the side. I know it wouldn't be difficult for someone to get to that area if they knew it was there but I don't think it would be the first place they would look.
Another reason I don't want to put it in the storage area under the passenger seat is because there isn't a lot of space in there to begin with so I don't want to take up my only storage place if I can help it.
I understand that the passenger seat locks but I read this article written by a former motorcycle thief and he said that he could get into bike trunks with a butter knife. The article had very interesting information but also made me worry about my new toy more! Here is the link to the article incase anyone is interested.

http://rideapart.com/2012/05/ask-a-motorcycle-thief/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the only difference. The LCD screen is a 2 way pager so I the alarm goes off it will let you know if your in range of it. The one that doesn't have the screen won't alert you. It is basically just like a key fob. Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Keep tabs on your battery. These alarms typically drain it within a week if not ridden.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, I have read that they drain your battery. For now I don't think it will be a problem because I want to ride it all the time but when I start to take more breaks and the weather gets cool again then I think I will get a trickle charger. That way I don't have to be disappointed when I go to turn it on and nothing happens haha

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I will probably put it in the side. I know it wouldn't be difficult for someone to get to that area if they knew it was there but I don't think it would be the first place they would look.
Another reason I don't want to put it in the storage area under the passenger seat is because there isn't a lot of space in there to begin with so I don't want to take up my only storage place if I can help it.
I understand that the passenger seat locks but I read this article written by a former motorcycle thief and he said that he could get into bike trunks with a butter knife. The article had very interesting information but also made me worry about my new toy more! Here is the link to the article incase anyone is interested.

http://rideapart.com/2012/05/ask-a-motorcycle-thief/

Yea I've seen that article a few times. My alarm is one of those units that has a 2 way paging system as well as a GPS tracker. I live in the city and don't fret too much over it. Once in a while I'll see someone checking the bike out or get an alarm notification when someone puts their leg over it and they'll be gone by the time I get outside.

The idea with alarm installs is just to make it difficult to find and access. If you place it in the sides it should take a thief a while to gain access to it and with an alarm blairing they won't stay too long. I'd also recommend doing your best to hide any wires that go to the battery from the alarm.

The first thing a thief is going to do if they hear an alarm is to hit up the battery and look for wires that look after market to remove and hopefully silence the alarm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the 2 way pager is worth it personally. I like the idea that it will wake me up if someone messes with my bike in the middle of the night.
I thought about investing in the GPS system but couldn't afford to shell out the money for it so I went with a simpler option.
I want to try and install the wires as factory as possible so that they don't stand out at all. Hopefully it's not to difficult though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts