Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay, well I need some advice. I'm a new rider and new to motorcycle purchasing. I've stumbled across a couple Ninja 300s and a 400 that caught my eye.. all 3 are used. I had a deposit down almost 2+ months for a 2021 N400 w/ ABS, but between Kawi and the dealership they just keep making excuses as to why they don't have the bikes.. first they told me August, then oh maybe September. When looking on their website it's showing most of their stuff arriving Nov or pushed back into 2022. I know there isn't a ton of difference between the 300 and 400s besides a little power.. top speeds seem to be similar between the two. I estimate my riding would be about 80 city/20 highway or maybe even 90 city/10 highway.

Anyways..I found two diff N300s at another dealership.. are either of these a good deal?

- 2014 N300 w/o ABS and 2400 Miles.. has a ZG Windscreen and a Pro Grip Tank Grip installed.. looks clean as hell based off pictures for $3999.99

-2016 N300 w/ ABS and 3516 miles.. $4199 Bone Stock except for some unnecessary pinkish/red colored Ninja and Kawi decals slapped on the fairings and belly pan (These would be getting pulled off immediately and the belly pan decals would be replaced) It also shows some visible scratches/damage to the fairing I caught in pictures.

and then there's this 2020 N400 KRT w/o ABS and 3500 miles for $5199.. Bone Stock except for the passenger seat cowl mod being done to it.. Stock seat doesn't come with it.. Bike looks super clean but are asking MSRP of a new one w/o ABS.

I don't really see demand or bikes being purchased slowing down for winter given how terrible this year was for buyers. I'm just trying to make the right purchase the first time, already been fleeced on cars I've bought and rather not make the same mistakes again.. Any advice would be great as I'm new to the motorcycle world.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
Okay, here's my two cents on the non-ABS vs ABS: ABS isn't necessary, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that learning to ride without ABS will make you a better rider because you'll learn to not rely on technology to prevent locking up the brakes. Also, even with stainless steel lines and better pads, with hard braking I've never managed to lock it up. That being said, if I were making a decision based on the options, I would purchase the 2014 without ABS. Though, I'm probably biased because I own a 2013 non-ABS.

I can say that the dealerships, regardless of brand, are having stock shortages. Our Ducati dealer has a 4 month wait list, my Kawasaki dealer is only slightly better. Used bikes are almost nonexistent and people are getting the new sticker price for used because of the shortages.

Regardless of which one you pick, welcome to the group!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just to confuse you more; I'd go with the 2016 ABS 300 (if the cosmetic imperfections are only minor, and there's no other issues); or if money permits, the 400.
The 2016 is two years newer and has ABS, likely a better starting point if you ever want to sell.
Again if money allows, the 400 may be a safer bet, as it's current generation, and has enough power to keep you happy for a long (longer?) time.
Many of us 300 owners were contemplating selling the 300 and 'upgrading' to a 400, but cost-to-benefit ratio makes that move tricky.
Still like the 300, but would prefer a 400 I think (despite it looking hideous compared to the 300!!!) :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Yeah, I was pretty much set on the 400 but like you said the difference between the 300 and 400 is minimal.. that's when I started looking at 300s, R3, MT-03 (to tall for the MT-03, people 6' and taller say it's cramped) given my work hours and dealer hours I haven't been able to make it out to see um.. Im letting the dealer with the 400 run my finance application to see what they can come back with if they remember to do that tomorrow.

from what I could tell in the pics.. the 2016 didn't look terrible.. like 1k more miles then the 2014..

this is the only really visible thing I could notice cosmetically wrong with the 2016 based off the pics the dealer took..
Wheel Tire Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle

seems just like some random light scratches and a few on the gas tank.. can't really see anything scrolling thru the pics that screams it was laid down. and I'm not sure if those decals are pink or it's just my display. I don't understand the placement of the Ninja logo on the fairing when there's one on the tank. prob like a $10 fix to change the Kawi belly logos back to Silver. the 2016 looks a little duller looking then the 2014.. not sure if that was a change for the year?

here's a shot of the 2014..

Wheel Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, i want to buy a kawasaki ninja in a auction (in my country it's legal).
But I would like to know if you recommend buying the original new parts or recommend buying in a regular and reputed dismantling (Outlet das Peças). I need to buy these new parts to be able to fix the problems that are with this auction bike.

Buying new parts I will spend approximately 2 times the value of the bike.

Buying the used parts and without defects I will spend approximately 50% of the value of the bike.

What do you recommend me?

NOTE: I'm from Brazil

·
Registered
541 Posts
Take off parts will work well most of the time. Here in USA, brand new parts bought from the dealer are way too expensive. As you said, with a few parts you quickly add up to the value of the bike or more.

·
Super Moderator
2,643 Posts
seems just like some random light scratches and a few on the gas tank.. can't really see anything scrolling thru the pics that screams it was laid down. and I'm not sure if those decals are pink or it's just my display. I don't understand the placement of the Ninja logo on the fairing when there's one on the tank. prob like a $10 fix to change the Kawi belly logos back to Silver. the 2016 looks a little duller looking then the 2014.. not sure if that was a change for the year?
The 2016 had a metallic matte carbon grey color scheme for the fairings, but those fairings also had graphic decals on them near the top of the vents. Either someone took the time to strip all of the factory decals off those fairings, or those aren't the original fairings - either way it's odd to me.

Also, the silver Kawasaki decals for the belly pan are $46.83 each.

·
Registered
489 Posts
My 2 cents...

Don't buy a Ninja 400. It's too much of everything for your first cycle.

Get an older, less expensive cycle, for your first. Don't sweat any little imperfections, as you will most likely add your own.

Don't finance a cycle. If you can't afford to pay cash, wait or buy a less expensive cycle. Smaller is usually better when it comes to learning to ride a cycle proficiently.

Never, ever, fall for the "Extended, bumper-to-bumper, everything covered, peace of mind, Warranty". It's a huge money-maker for them, and a real bad deal for you.

Take a riding class if you haven't. There's no time for "learning on the job" these days. You need to know how to operate the controls without thinking, so you can focus on what's happening around you. You have to think ahead, and have an exit strategy for every situation already in mind.

It's a fun sport that I've been involved in for over 45 years, but it's not without risk - so you need to be as prepared as possible.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts