Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are at a complete stop and you are in say 3rd gear, and you need to go down to 1st gear, can you keep the clutch pulled in and shift all the way down to 1st without letting the clutch out?

For some reason at times, I could not shift all the way down to first while I was holding the clutch in and also holding the front/rear brake. I'm not sure if something was getting stuck or what...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmmmm, I've never had an issue down shifting like this and not being able to click into first gear. I do find, however, that my bike will occasionally stall if I'm in 3rd and pull in the clutch while slowing to a stop. Super annoying.

Are you 100% sure you're pulling the clutch lever in all the way?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you need to roll your bike forward a little to get it "unstuck"
Well that becomes a huge problem when I am trying to go up a hill from a complete stop (stop sign). If I let off the clutch and I am in say 2nd gear, and I am still complete stopped and need to get up a hill, the bike will stall if I let the clutch back out and pull it back in to try to get to first gear. I'll try again today, but getting this technique down is a bit tough at the start lol.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This for sure. Happens to me on quads more frequently and I gotta rock it for a second for things to line up again.
Yeah, I think I remember doing something like that once, and it allowed me to shift back down into first gear. Very interesting.

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Well that becomes a huge problem when I am trying to go up a hill from a complete stop (stop sign). If I let off the clutch and I am in say 2nd gear, and I am still complete stopped and need to get up a hill, the bike will stall if I let the clutch back out and pull it back in to try to get to first gear. I'll try again today, but getting this technique down is a bit tough at the start lol.
Or shift when your slowing down like you suppose to be doing.

·
Registered
419 Posts
try it with the clutch in still. and if on a hill just roll back a couple inches.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Or shift when your slowing down like you suppose to be doing.
Yeah that's what I need to get in a habbit of doing. So basically, you are saying that whenever I see myself approaching a hill, shift down to 1st gear? Sometimes if you are traveling a road you never been on before, when you go up a hill there may not be a stop sign and I could stay in 2nd or 3rd or whatever gear I was in...but if I don't shift down in time it may be too late. So is the rule of thumb to always shift down no matter what when going up any kind of hill?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Haha funny that I see this post because this happened to me last night on my dad's FZ6R, I was demonstrating to someone how gear shifting works on a motorcycle and all of the sudden it got stuck in 3rd gear for whatever reason, so I put the kickstand down and examined the bike to see what was going on, got back on and it down shifted no problem... Not sure what causes that/fixes it but I think it may possibly be a new bike issue. I guess it is part of the break in process or something.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha funny that I see this post because this happened to me last night on my dad's FZ6R, I was demonstrating to someone how gear shifting works on a motorcycle and all of the sudden it got stuck in 3rd gear for whatever reason, so I put the kickstand down and examined the bike to see what was going on, got back on and it down shifted no problem... Not sure what causes that/fixes it but I think it may possibly be a new bike issue. I guess it is part of the break in process or something.
Hmmm maybe..., I'm no expert obviously, but my bike only had about 90 miles on it at the moment lol, so maybe this kind of issue will happen less over time. But my goal is to try to start to shift down to first before I come to a complete stop which I think is the correct way to approach a stop or a stop that is on an incline/hill?

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Hmmm maybe..., I'm no expert obviously, but my bike only had about 90 miles on it at the moment lol, so maybe this kind of issue will happen less over time. But my goal is to try to start to shift down to first before I come to a complete stop which I think is the correct way to approach a stop or a stop that is on an incline/hill?
Yes but if its not that steep of a hill I keep it in 2nd 1st on are bikes is like a granny gear.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes but if its not that steep of a hill I keep it in 2nd 1st on are bikes is like a granny gear.
Yeah I absolutely hate 1st gear, but sometimes when I'm in 2nd gear and at a complete stop, I stall the bike when I try to take back off. I guess I just need to give 2nd gear a bit more throttle than i would in 1st gear?

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Yeah I absolutely hate 1st gear, but sometimes when I'm in 2nd gear and at a complete stop, I stall the bike when I try to take back off. I guess I just need to give 2nd gear a bit more throttle than i would in 1st gear?
you can take off at 4k with out worry its all in letting out the clutch. If you flick it you can lift the front but if you let it out slow it is fine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
you can take off at 4k with out worry its all in letting out the clutch. If you flick it you can lift the front but if you let it out slow it is fine.
So you are saying at 4k rpms I can still have the clutch in and slow release it and the bike should take off just fine while in 2nd gear if of course I'm on a somewhat flat level road complete stopped?

·
Banned
1,037 Posts
Flat road I can get it to go at like 2500 if I am on like a freeway exit I give it more gas. Best way to work on this if you want is to go to a area that a simi backs down to the loading dock.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts