Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup evreybody..I've had my ninja 300 for about a year and half and want to know your thoughts on going to a 1400 as next bike. While I fit the ninja pretty good. I'm 6'3 205 and really want a bike that suits me. What do you all think.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you're looking for a big sport touring style rig with an occasional trip to the drag strip for fun, that's a good choice. But you better respect it's power.

The Hayabusa is also in that category, but it's comes with a stigma that's as bad as Harleys.

If you are concerned mostly about your size, maybe have a look at http://cycle-ergo.com/ and see how folded up you are on various models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
If you're looking for a big sport touring style rig with an occasional trip to the drag strip for fun, that's a good choice. But you better respect it's power.

The Hayabusa is also in that category, but it's comes with a stigma that's as bad as Harleys.

If you are concerned mostly about your size, maybe have a look at http://cycle-ergo.com/ and see how folded up you are on various models.

I agree with this here. Also, if you've never ridden a bike its size or close to it, bring an additional pair of underwear on your first ride.>:)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I rented a Concours 14 for a day trip a while back, and even as a relatively experienced rider it was shockingly fast. Not as nimble in the corners as I'd hoped, but once you find an open stretch of highway it's basically a time machine. I could see owning one if I were doing a lot of long distance rides on the freeway. But in that category I'd probably choose the BMW R1200RT since it handles much better. If you want a liter+ bike by all means go for it.. everyone should try it once. I had a 2009 Yamaha FZ1 for a few years and loved it. But eventually I wanted to go faster in the corners and at nearly 500 lbs it was a bit of a pig.

If you feel cramped on the 300 the middleweight standard category is exploding right now. Take a long look at the Yamaha FZ-07, Triumph Street Triple, Kawasaki Z/Ninja 650 (recently shed 40 lbs), and the recently reintroduced Suzuki SV650.

Don't feel like just because you're a big guy you need to ride a big bike. If anything, just expect to have to spend a little extra time/money on handlebars, footpegs, and saddles to make any bike fit you properly. I'm on the other side of the coin (i.e. short) so I have to do the same.

Anyway, good luck in your search. Test ride everything you can get your hands on!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fit on bikes is a curious thing - you may be surprised to learn that a larger bike still isn't as comfortable as you might think, at least for a tall rider. I'm a similar size and weight, and I don't fit my bike that well. The Kawi supersports are an even tighter fit, at least the ZX6R and ZX10R.

If you like that style don't overlook the Gixxers. They're very nice for taller riders.

You'll find some of the naked bikes pretty comfortable too.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
It sounds like you're interested in ergonomics more than power. If so, you need to sit on a lot of different bikes. A big engine doesn't mean more comfort for a bigger person.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Typically you'll probably find the larger displacement sports to be less accommodating for a larger rider, but ergonomics can be a funny thing. Two identically sized and shaped people could have completely different feelings on what is "comfortable" and what "suits them."
Sit on/test ride as many different machines as you can to find one that works for you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts