Kawasaki Ninja 300 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm a new rider still. Bought my 2014 Ninja 300 last year and have put about 5000 miles on it. Its been an amazing bike and I love this thing! Last week tho, I bought an '06 Yamaha R6 50th Anniv. ed. for a good price and in amazing condition. Some may say that one year of riding is too soon, but I believe its all about the rider. If I was still in my 20's there'd be no way LOL I was horrible and sped all the time. But being less than a year from 40 I've become a pretty conservative driver and rider.

So anyway, yesterday my bike got delivered and this morning I went on my first ride on it. I noticed that under about 6k RPM the R6 is actually pretty tame. I never stalled it and went easy on the throttle. However after about 2 miles or so I was at a red light, open road, no traffic around at all and decided to open it up for the first time.....My....GOD....after 6k RPM this thing wakes up! I wasn't ready for it. lol. I hit 100mph without even realizing it. But I felt stable. Grinning ear to ear, I thought to myself, this sh*t should be not be street legal. I don't even want to imagine what a liter bike accelerates like.:surprise:
I know many know, but its crazy just how much different the seating position is going from the 300 to the r6. Like night and day. Those clip ons make a huge difference. I think I'm going to start doing P90x again and work on my core LOL. the stock exhaust on the this R6 sounds freaking amazing too! I was dead set on an M4 slip on, but I'm pretty happy with the stock exhaust for now.

I am keeping my Ninja 300. Insurance isn't much on it ($20/mo). And I feel its the much better commuter bike. Plus it really is a fun bike. And who knows maybe I can convince the wife to take the MSF course and ride with me.:grin2:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yep, they turn power on like flipping a switch. :grin2: that's the fun part. >:)

Liter bikes are not as on/off as a 600, but you have to deal with more power all the way around, :surprise:

Have fun man. Just keep your right wrist in check and you'll be good.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
after 6k RPM this thing wakes up! I wasn't ready for it. lol
At 6K an R6 is still sleeping. They really wake up at 10K. I hope you're ready for that.

Most i4 supersports are gutless low in the revs, even literbikes. It's just their nature.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I was quite impressed with the '17 R6, it just didn't fit me very well. Easily the tightest supersport I've ridden, but I am tall.

The motor was as I expected, but even smoother than I imagined. As with most new bike experiences first time I pulled away I was very careful (when you don't know what the throttle response is like) and I thought I was in neutral - it pulled from a stop about the same as my 300 at moderate throttle openings. I've read that people consider the R6 frustrating at low speed but I thought I could poodle around on it all day, it was incredibly smooth.

Powerband's nice, I didn't feel it until just shy of 10k though; it was pretty gentle before that. Just wish I had more time on it. It's my kind of engine.

Itching to try a CBR600RR as after sitting on one the rider triangle seemed a lot better for me. I fit better on litre bikes but really not interested in them. I like working the motor and the gears.

I don't even want to imagine what a liter bike accelerates like.:surprise:
I've never actually found out what full throttle is like on a superbike. Ridden both an R1 and and Panigale 959 and never actually got the chance on the street. They both were absurdly quick in pretty much any gear.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I was quite impressed with the '17 R6, it just didn't fit me very well. Easily the tightest supersport I've ridden, but I am tall.

The motor was as I expected, but even smoother than I imagined. As with most new bike experiences first time I pulled away I was very careful (when you don't know what the throttle response is like) and I thought I was in neutral - it pulled from a stop about the same as my 300 at moderate throttle openings. I've read that people consider the R6 frustrating at low speed but I thought I could poodle around on it all day, it was incredibly smooth.

Powerband's nice, I didn't feel it until just shy of 10k though; it was pretty gentle before that. Just wish I had more time on it. It's my kind of engine.

Itching to try a CBR600RR as after sitting on one the rider triangle seemed a lot better for me. I fit better on litre bikes but really not interested in them. I like working the motor and the gears.

I've never actually found out what full throttle is like on a superbike. Ridden both an R1 and and Panigale 959 and never actually got the chance on the street. They both were absurdly quick in pretty much any gear.
Whats your weight / height ? What did you think of the handlebar position ?

Love the look of the r6 but wish it was more street orientated. Your review makes me wanna test ride one day to see for myself though.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Whats your weight / height ? What did you think of the handlebar position ?

Love the look of the r6 but wish it was more street orientated. Your review makes me wanna test ride one day to see for myself though.
I'm 6'3" and about 205lbs.

The R6 had high rearsets, and a high seat. My torso felt very high and forward, such that my chin felt over the screen (even if it actually wasn't.) I didn't feel like there was much bike in front of me at all. I think it was the high seat that did it. The seat also widens sharply to the rear, so I felt like I had to be on the forward part of it.

The R1 was completely different. Much longer reach for my arms; rear sets weren't as extreme.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Congrats!

So how is it going to a heavier bike? Do you notice the weight in the twisties?

The R6 is one of my someday bikes. Need to get a lot more seat time in the 300.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts